Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2018, 09:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Multiplex EasyGlider4  (Read 327 times)
Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »

Well after some research and thoughts from a club mate I have bought an EasyGlider 4 RR.

It was for sale new in box for a good saving on a UK specific classifieds forum.

I have gone for the Turnigy Graphene 1500mAh 3S packs that weigh 164 grams for an AUW of 1040 grams.

I have had just a few flights with beginners luck seeing it get in a thermal on the first flight.

With the mechanics as supplied I am not getting the throws described in the manual but still plenty.

With full down elevator the fuselage is pulled out of shape.

I had to adjust one of the aileron links to get the aileron centred which seemed a bit strange. It is a shame the covers are stuck in place. I don't know what damage I will do to unstick them to check the servo centres.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Multiplex EasyGlider4
Multiplex EasyGlider4
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »

Fuselage bent out of shape sounds like a control bind issue. Please disconnect all the control linkages and flex the control surface to exercise the foam hinge.

Having to adjust linkages is a normal activity. By the way centered servos really isn't the goal. Rather it is balanced control movements. Do both ailerons go up and down the same amount? And on this glider you want more up aileron than down. Yes servo geometry plays a large part in this. Covers should peel off just fine. If concerned you can scribe around the cover with a knife prior to popping off the cover. I think they sit in a grooved pocket.  I re-attach the covers with contact cement.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »

Exercising!

The aileron covers as shown in the picture are not stuck around the edge unfortunately.

I am used to helicopter cyclic servos where getting all servo horns in the same place is important to not getting differential of movement.

I didn't actually measure but eyeballing the travel looks about the same for both ailerons, I will check properly. Differential setup to get more up than down is done with 100% up and 40% down set in the transmitter.

Thanks,
Andy
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Multiplex EasyGlider4
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:40:42 PM by Andy from Sandy » Logged
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »

Exercising!

The aileron covers as shown in the picture are not stuck around the edge unfortunately.
Actually these blade mounted covers are easy to remove with little damage. Just drive a blade down on the outside of the cover's mounting blade and pull up on the cover. Any damage will be light and covered by the cover.

I am used to helicopter cyclic servos where getting all servo horns in the same place is important to not getting differential of movement.
Same here, But we use actual surface deflection to insure verify surface movement, Differential.

I didn't actually measure but eyeballing the travel looks about the same for both ailerons, I will check properly. Differential setup to get more up than down is done with 100% up and 40% down set in the transmitter.
I like to use mechanical rigging as my primary  set up tool, then I use the software to fine tune the surface movements. I try to keep my servo motion as close to "plus 120%" and "minus 120%" to get the highest resolution and power from the servo. For set ups like your EasyGlider I would aim for the servo arm being pointed forward about 15°

Thanks,
Andy
Reply in RED

If you are happy with the way the ship is flying I wouldn't dig too deep looking for the ultimate performance. Just make sure your servo's aren't stalled and have fun.

Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »

For a first time back with gliders after many years I think it flies nice.

I think it is quite neutral in flight with motor off.

It wants to climb pretty sharpish under power. Although I don't mind leaning on the elevator I have worked out the programming to mix throttle to elevator. My transmitter doesn't have trims but it does have a couple of pots one of which I have programmed to trim the elevator.

Trials hopefully in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Andy
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »

Most of my Multiplex gliders don't do this, pich up under power. Yes they climb but don't change attitude much. I might add 4% to 6% down mix on some gliders where I have a lot of pitch speed from the prop.

Have you done the dive test to set the center of gravity? I normally do have to set the Center of Gravity aft of that stated in the manual to get the trim I want.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supergee/CGMarkDrela.htm

Andy from Sandy
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »

I have not done the dive test. I will print out the document and take with me to the field for reference.

At present the CG is set on the bumps of the wing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: