Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2018, 06:22:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I thought I was able to make things with my hands  (Read 336 times)
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2018, 07:58:30 AM »

Ever have one of those projects that just fights you tooth and nail?  One of those projects that every time you go to fix something, you look at it and realize you messed up something else?

I'm having one of those projects trying to build Paul Bradley's Winding Stooge. I'm about to start the third iteration of some of the parts and the second on another.  So far the only parts I'm happy with are the headpiece and the front support rod. The tailpiece rod is a 4.5" brass tube with 11 holes drilled in a line.  I cobbled together a jig, marked the dimensions and merrily drilled away. Pulled the tube out of the jig and the line of holes resembled the track of a snake with a belly ache!!  There was no way I could allow that piece of ..... tubing to be seen in public. I'm now in the process of building anther jig to hold the tubing still so it won't move during drilling. But here's where I needed to get a little bit creative. Brass tubing of the size I needed is not easy to find around here so I had ordered just enough for the project from Amazon. So now what do I do? Wait another week to get more in the mail?  I went scrounging in the drawer of bits I had inherited from my Dad and TAH-DAH!! I found a piece of Copper tubing that is 3/8", WOOHOO!!  Oh, wait, it's copper tubing, not brass tubing, it bends! Damn. Oh, but wait again, I have a hardwood dowel that just fits inside!!  I can epoxy the dowel into the tubing and that should give it the strength I need.

Moving on to a couple of the smaller blocks. One holds the tail piece tube to the main support tube, the other holds the forward fuselage support to the support tube. They use thumbscrews threaded into the wooden block to clamp them in place.  After making the first pieces I felt that more wood was needed to give more threads on one of the screws.  So second set of blocks was made. Sanded, stained, threaded, tried them out and immediately stripped out one of the threaded holes. ARRGGHH!! Okay, enough is enough, about to make the third set of blocks but this time I'm using threaded metal inserts!  That'll fix the little sucker.

Such a simple little project, I was sure I could knock it out in 3-4 hours tops.  It obviously had other ideas.  Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47:14 AM »

Aeromodelling goes like that.  'Tis written.

My winding stooge is very rudimentary. A flat bit that fits over the "hook" for the tailgate and an upright that holds the stirrup thing that the fuselage fits into for the wire to fit into the motor peg.  Took a very short time to make - and is now used almost exclusively.  Admittedly for the most part I can "fly" out of the back of the car which is so convenient.  I did  make a stooge you stick in the ground using a fishing rod rest - about £4.00 I think - it is telescopic so you can easily adjust the height and it has "guy ropes" to brace it. But takes a little longer to erect than the one on the back of the car.

The "strength" of the various components required is debatable. After all look at the comparative delicacy of the fuselage - a few bits of this wood held together by tissue.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

I have just looked a the drawings for the Bradley stooge - nice design - but maybe a bit sophisticated for what i do. So far the set up i have has worked fine with all I fly .... OK may not work too well with an F1B from the Ukraine  carrying a few hundred loops of 1/16th rubber but then by the look of things the stooge is a small worry - the winders look like some thing out of NASA, then there is the boots with spikes and a belt like weight lifters wear etc. that all the best dressed F1B people have ......... but I will not be going down that route!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: