Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 19, 2018, 10:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alfreton Leisure Centre 2018/19 Indoor Freeflight and Ultralight RC meetings  (Read 945 times)
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »

Dear All,
this is the first notice of the 2018/19 indoor flying season for freeflight and ultralight RC models at Alfreton Leisure Centre, Derbyshire, DE55  7BD. Please find the dates listed below.

Format will remain the same as last season but will evolve as the needs of a smooth meeting dictate. Please circulate and invite anyone you think might have similar interests. All meetings will be 2-5.00pm, all are Saturdays, £10 per flyer, accompanied juniors and spectators free, BMFA insurance mandatory (new flyers please bring your membership card). Please circulate the information to anyone you know who might be interested. By all means bring stuff to sell if you wish. Modern leisure centre, LED lighting, nice café, good parking, it's even heated!

Oct 6th
Nov 3rd
Dec 1st
that's a nice run, then:
Jan 19th
Feb 23rd
March 23rd

The following is my guidance on what is invited but please get in touch if you have an idea or question. Basically it is intended for free-flight with a concession to ultra-light RC flown in a suitable manner that is likely to be mixable with stick and tissue models. It is aimed at traditional aeromodelling without being shy of modern developments like foam or carbon. We will operate slots if necessary.

"Fixed wing, free-flight and ultra-light RC, no drones, helis or solid foam RTFs" 

So, more or less any free-flight balsa model, scale or otherwise should be ok, rubber, CO2 or brushed-electric. Free-flight models tend to be self-regulating with respect to weight or size due to the hall limits. The hall is 30m x 37m x 9.5m high.

For RC models, coil actuator models, DelTang based, Vapor boards, etc. in self-built models (from plan or kit) should be ok provided they are flown appropriately. The only pre-fabricated models likely to be acceptable are the Vapor range plus the Fireland/Ares range. Plantraco if anyone has any. Micro-Aces should be ok provided flown slowly (if that's possible).

What is not allowed:
•No brushless motors or separate servo models.
•No solid foam models. No Ember, 4-Sight, Extra.
•No RC rotors
These are well catered for at our other meetings where shockies have free reign (within time slots).

Hope to see some of you later in the year. Hopefully you've been busy building while it's been too hot to venture outdoors (me neither).

Thanks
Nigel
 Smiley
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »

Dear Nigel,
 Thank you for your informative posting on what is going on at Alfreton. I must confess that I am unlikely to join you there because I am wheelchair bound and my 'outings' depend on where my drivers are going. I am a member of the 'Norwind Indoor Flying' group so that usually means our excellent venue at Rochdale. Tom Thompson maintains a 'Norwind' web site that has an abundance of photographs, plans, and other information that I think you would find very interesting.
What did surprise me was that you made no mention of the new 'Osprey' class that the Indoor Commitee has recently introduced as a type of rubber model that should be ideally suited to flying in small halls. I hope that in the future we might see inter-hall competions for 'Osprey' teams like the 'Area' competions for outdoor Free Flight models. Best Wishes for happy flying at Alfreton, your careful stewardship obviously deserves it.
John
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »

Hi John,
thanks for your post. I'm familiar with the NORWIND website and activities but I'm not well plugged into the other freeflight info sites and have been absent from HPA for several months. To be honest, it was a revelation when a number of indoor flyers from the West Midlands turned up last season, both for me and them! They were highly pleased with the size of the hall because they usually fly in a church hall, and myself because I hadn't realised there was still such interest in indoor duration since we lost Mike Green many years ago.

Personally, I like scale indoor models but I will look into the new Osprey class with interest. The local Nottingham club run an annual 'Hangar Rat' competition but were looking for a change of model - it may be of interest to them also. Andrew Darby and others are active in that club and may offer an opinion, but I will be sure to mention it to Paul Briggs and Richard Grainger, the NMAC indoor meeting organisers, when I next see them.

Thanks again
Nigel
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »

Hi,

I had mentioned a change of model from the hangar rat to Richard and Paul for something perhaps a little more robust and easy to build for those with less delicate building skills, and maybe even my lad.  This is because most of the slender NMAC membership is big stuff \ CL.  There just weren’t enough people in our club intertested enough in delicate indoor stuff for it to continue IMHO.  They run a hangar rat comp each year,  Last year there was a grand total of three entries, all of the three people mentioned in Nigel’s post!   Personally I hate the bloody thing ... breath on it and it breaks, having said that it will fly even if made from CA ....mine is!  I only really do it each year because it’s a club thing and the two affornentioned people have become fast friends and I can’t and won’t let them down...

I’m happy for it just to be scale stuff TBH, but will consider anything else...

Andrew

Klunk
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 02:05:25 AM »

It would be good to see you there, Andrew! It's a superb hall. I'm definitely making the first date... Very tempting to sweep everything off the board and try to knock up a new indoor model in the 5 1/2 weeks remaining!

Cheers,

Dan.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 02:12:16 AM »

Hi Dan,

I can make about half of them, being on a Saturday afternoon the others clash with my beloved Derby County home games where I have a season ticket..

Look forward to seeing you too.  I should be able to make the first one.  However I have done very little myself!  Must get a move on!

Andrew

Klunk
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:51 AM »

It would be good to see you there, Andrew! It's a superb hall. I'm definitely making the first date... Very tempting to sweep everything off the board and try to knock up a new indoor model in the 5 1/2 weeks remaining!
Dan.
How about having a go at a Peanut scale? That would stretch your building repertoire, give you an extra class to enter, and entertain/shame us in equal measure.

Here's me talking and doing nothing...
Nigel
(PS Can you put a link here if you do a build log please? Ta)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »

I'm about 50% into a VMC Sopwith Tripe build, so the sensible thing would be to finish that....

Cheers,

Dan.
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »

Just a gentle bump, hope to see some folks this coming Saturday, all welcome, sadly internal combustion power will be inappropriate...

thanks
Nigel
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »

After a slightly mad two days last weekend, with the Velodrome on the Sat and Oxford on the Sun, I was going to sit this one out. But I'm tempted now, as it's only an hour and a half's drive for me and the very civilised 2pm start means I could tootle down after lunch.Who else is still going?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »

I would like to, but I enjoyed the summer too much (hardly any flying though) and need to get my head down at work.
I hope the turnout is good and worth the effort that Nigel puts in.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »

..... I have also finished three new model boxes for the next indoor season .... but not the models to go in them .......
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 05:29:51 AM »

Me and Jimbo are...

Klunk
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 04:01:49 PM »

A very enjoyable afternoon's flying. Thanks, Nigel, for organising it. Turnout was rather low, but at least that meant we had plenty of air space.

I took a few of my smaller models (pictured), hoping to have a nice relaxing time avoiding the walls and such. By and large I achieved this, until for some reason I put too big a motor in my KK Arrow, overwound it for good measure, and sent it soaring into the ceiling. The fuselage came down fast minus both wings and then scooted along the floor into the door, knocking in the front former. The wings floated down sadly in their own good time. However, a bit of cyano and it was soon back in the air again (if not in quite such a pretty state as before). My other three models flew much less alarmingly. Here's a vid of my Chub, doing its usual thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeQorANkHhI

Dan's first flight of the afternoon with his big slow CO2 Cub was entertaining. Didn't film it I'm afraid, but by sheer skill he managed not only to get it circling and landing nicely within the walls, but he used almost the whole height of the hall too; leaving perhaps an inch to spare beneath the girders for two or three circuits before it descended for a perfect landing. I don't think he fared quite so well with trimming the new Moth unfortunately.

Andrew and Jimbo had some good flights too. Here's a vid of Andrew's new KK Ercoupe, looking quite good already from a RoG. (I'll put the same clip on the relevant thread too.) https://youtu.be/8lRbzDj4-dY
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Alfreton Leisure Centre 2018/19 Indoor Freeflight and Ultralight RC meetings
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:26:07 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »

It was indeed a good afternoon. The Moth is looking very sorry for itself, though...

Oh well: All good fun!

Dan.

P.S I don't think it was skill involved with the Cub. It gave me a good cardio workout, whatever it was.
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »

Thanks all for attending and your positive thoughts. It was nice to see non-flying friends in attendance too.

The meetings are still viable at low numbers but more would mean we could reduce the price per person. All are welcome on any of the dates, no need to buy a season ticket.

Cheers for now
Nigel
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 05:01:01 AM »

Gentle bump for this Saturday, 3rd November's Alfreton meeting, usual arrangements (see above).

I'm aware there are some conflicting events this time; I try to avoid those dates I know about when making the bookings - typically Nijmegen and the indoor nationals - but I guess it's a sign we're well catered for in this region?

Good times. Hope some of you can make it to Alfreton.

cheers

Nigel

john bowerman
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »

Hi Nigel
Doug and I are coming, last minute trimming before Nijmegen and like Pete says it's very civilised with a 2pm start and only 45 mins from home.
Manchester was great last weekend but it does entail an 8am start and a 2 hour journey from home.
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »

Thanks John
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 07:21:02 AM »

Just a bump for the 1st December - "try to avoid black Friday/cyber Monday and last minute Xmas shopping weekends" - Alfreton indoor free flight meeting.

All welcome, usual arrangements, even I will be there this time (sorry conflicting demands on my time in November, not much to do with Xmas).

Hope to see you there
regards
Nigel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: