Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 19, 2018, 10:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A couple of quick jigs like my Dad made.  (Read 528 times)
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »

As I was getting ready to start on my second rubber powered free flight model, and my second build in about 20 years, I remembered a couple of small jigs my Dad had made for himself. He was the consummate craftsman when it came to building anything, from flying models to cabinets and furniture, and often would put together small jigs to help make it easier.

These are two of them, put together as best I remember from his. The one on the left is a variation of his gusset maker. Since most of the gussets I figure I'll be making will be 1/2" or smaller, that's how I made this one. Once I set the size I can just slide the stock through and cut as many as needed.
The second is for sanding angles in the small sticks for better joints in a stick and tissue fuselage. The block on the left slides back and forth  in a track and the sandpaper is set at 90 degrees to the surface. You measure and set the angle and then sand the angle into the end of the stick. No more squashed ends if your xacto or razor isn't super sharp.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
A couple of quick jigs like my Dad made.
A couple of quick jigs like my Dad made.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:22:01 PM by Dan Snow » Logged
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »

Sweet.

Stephen.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »

When i was a kid i wondered why my models were not the neatest. It wasn't lack of skill but lack of knowledge and the patience to build jigs. I took me until middle age to appreciate a good jig and for my workmanship to improve. So; thanks for posting.

I found a neat jig employing the thin gap between Lego bricks to hold a razor blade vertical when chopping thin sticks.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »

Nice!
The laser cut gussets that Bob Holman and Volare Products offer are pretty inexpensive and convenient, though!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »

Neat jigs Dan. I'm a great believer in their worth. I use a similar sanding jig and it improved the accuracy of the many CLG's I built when teaching young kids. This together with an assembly jig made every CLG predictable and easy trim.

John
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: A couple of quick jigs like my Dad made.
Re: A couple of quick jigs like my Dad made.
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:23:05 AM »

Nice!
The laser cut gussets that Bob Holman and Volare Products offer are pretty inexpensive and convenient, though!

They are indeed inexpensive and handy, but at $9.00 for shipping, I don't mind spending a few minutes making my own from the scraps of the former and rib sheets in the kit.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »

Dan,
Agreed. I try to combine orders to keep the relative shipping costs down. Worth the cost to me to have things delivered to the mailbox or house, and help keeps the vendors in business.
Like everyone else, I derive a lot of satisfaction in making things myself, like a winding stooge, balsa stripper, reverse s-hook shafts, among others.
I do very much like the looks of your gusset cutting jig. Thanks for sharing! That’s what’s great about this forum.
Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: