Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2018, 01:09:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: These are some very good Computer Tools for your Drawings and Making Cut Files  (Read 366 times)
BBailey
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter
Me & my Great Grandson Bentley Liam Bailey

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2018, 12:30:17 AM »

I have a list of tools that you might be interested in. Maybe not but they are very heavy duty for help with your Plans and in making Cutting Files for Laser, CNC, 3D Printers, whatever. They handle ALL file formats so you can switch between them.

ALL these programs are Open Source and made available under the GNU License. Everybody can use them at no cost. And they all have their Forums where you can get help. Some have YouTube training, some have manuals, some have FAQs. They all have Great Support.

This first one I just wanted to share as it can handle simple file formats but it is an excellent multi-program. It is a Microsoft Office Work alike and exchanges all MS Files. It's called Libre Office 5 - Word-Calc-Base-Present-Graphics. It's a very strong contender and you can always get a free update at no cost. If you have not been an MS Office user then you won't notice any difference. Start clean. I've been using this one for many years under the name of Open Office which was incorporated into Libre.

Next, I'll start with a Drawing Software that is 2nd to none called Inkster. It's like a 2-D CAD, Corel Draw and PhotoShop all rolled into one. Try it as it may be all you want.

Then there is Gimp which is an older Drawing program that works more like Inkster.

Next is Blender a lot like Inkster but not my favorite.

Next is FreeCAD 3D. This is a very powerful CAD System. It does compare to the top of the Commercial Line of CAD, i.e. SolidWorks. Full of Features. If you want to tie it into a different 3D Rendering program try DAZ Studio 3D with Hexagon. It is designed more for the gaming industry but has no problem integrating with other CAD and FreeCAD. It can make a person, Male or Female, in a very few clicks then dress, hair, eyes, and whatever you want then take a few clicks on the body, arms, legs, head, etc, and click animate and the new person will dance. Fantastic technology. It does fancy Gears, Machinery, whatever. It can also make a Model Aircraft in unbelievable detail that can be used in any Flight Simulator.

Now for the last: GitHub - Grow your team on GitHub, GitHub.com is home to over 28 million developers working together. Join them to grow your own development teams, manage permissions, and collaborate on projects.
Their projects are posted on GrabCAD.com Repository. Now the neat thing is you do not have to form a group and do a project, BUT you will miss all the others input. You can just go to GrabCAD and download complete 3D Modeled items like Gears, Motorcycles, Automobiles, Prototypes, the only thing is they ask that you do not go in and take out a lot of 3D Renderings and not add any of your own. Try this, it will blow you away!

You now have access to Drawing, 3D Rendering, Painting, Graphics, Anything you can think of. Let's see what we can make of it. One of the things I have always wanted to do is make all my own SCALE Landing Gear turned out on an industrial lathe. Through Makeshop I have full access to an Industrial Machine Shop, a Wood Shop, a 3D Printer, Adreno (SP) Training, Graphics Cutter, Laser Cutter, CNC, etc. I wish to find plans for an opposed engine and make one that works. If you want information on MakeShops, contact me. They are a 501 C3 Organization USA wide. I don't know about other countries. I am just getting started with them and they have monthly dues. Here the dues started at $35 USD per month but the Organization bought a huge white elephant of a school and has moved in. The Monthly dues now are $45 USD.

I truly hope this will make heavy-duty software tools, and resources, available to you to be able to do whatever you want.

BBailey
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:45:04 AM by BBailey » Logged

BBailey
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 125

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »

Curious about INKSTER, but I can't find anything about it.  Link?

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »

I haven't heard of Inkster but I bet he meant Inkscape?  Seems to fit the description.
BBailey
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »

I haven't heard of Inkster but I bet he meant Inkscape?  Seems to fit the description.

I am so sorry. Sometimes I get stuck in the past. Just like Libre Office 5 used to be called Open Office when I was heavy user. Inkscape was called Inkster. The names have changed as the programs have grown in capabilities. I thank you very much for correcting my oversight.
It is Inkscape and a very powerful program. That is why I stated it might be the only program you may need.

Thank you.

BBailey
BBailey
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:10:37 PM »

Curious about INKSTER, but I can't find anything about it.  Link?

I apologize for my oversite. The name is Inkscape.

https://inkscape.org/en/

One thing other I forgot to add. These programs are being developed all over the world. Hence they have MANY Language packets you can get. So if you speak a different language there is more then a small chance that the program can be operated in your language.

BBailey
BBailey
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »

I apologize for some info I put out there that is not correct. The Open Source program Blender has far surpassed what I saw years ago. It looks to be as in the same ballpark as Daz.

I said: Next is Blender. Blender is the free and open source 3D creation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation. I have not checked this new Update out. This sound a lot like DAZ Studio 3D with Hexagon.

Blender is the free and open source 3D creation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation. So there are 2 very good 3D Modelers.

Animation & Rigging
Thanks to the high-quality rigging and animation tools, Blender is being used for numerous short films, advertisements, TV series and feature films now.

Envelope, skeleton and automatic skinning
B-spline interpolated bones
Curve editor and dope sheets
Custom bone shapes for fast input
Sound synchronization

Later as I can I will go to GrabCAD and get some examples if I can figure out how to the get images on here.
These are some very good Computer Tools for your Drawings and Making Cut Files

BBailey
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »

I find Sketchup easier and more intuitive than Blender.  Blender seemed to have too many keyboard commands.....made my head hurt.  I've used Sketchup for about 6 years and once you add some of the features people have built for it, it works pretty good.   I use it more for making .stl files for my 3d printer.
BBailey
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »

I find Sketchup easier and more intuitive than Blender.  Blender seemed to have too many keyboard commands.....made my head hurt.  I've used Sketchup for about 6 years and once you add some of the features people have built for it, it works pretty good.   I use it more for making .stl files for my 3d printer.

You are the 2nd person to mention to me they use Sketchup. If my memory serves me that was an AutoCAD offshoot. It used to be a little expensive. Is it free to download and use now? Or maybe I have it wrong and it is not AutoCAD related. I'll see if I can find the program and how much it is.

Thank you for bringing that up. I like my computer tools.

BBailey

BBailey
BBailey
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »

Well, I wish to thank you for the advice I have been told about SketchUp. SketchUp Make is free and there are videos on the Internet that show you how to start in 2-D then in 3-D, then how to send your Mechanical drawings (Any Drawings)(But I liked the Mechanical) to a 3d printer. And if you don't have a 3D printer you can find Services that you can send your files to and they will 3D print for a fee and mail them to you. This has moved way ahead of where I last saw it also. 

Great Tool!!!

BBailey

BBailey
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 157

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 01:31:58 AM »

Very interesting info BB - thanks.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up