Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 18, 2019, 03:47:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How much thrust does a 3lb plane need for stunt flying.  (Read 279 times)
Bigron
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »

I have a a NIB Hangar 9 PT-19 I just acquired.  I want to fly electric and need to select a brushless motor to install in the plane. I want to know the ratio of thrust to weight for sport CL flying.  I am flying RC now. This plane is for me to try CL flying like I did when I was a kid.

Any info, like thrust/lb or watts/lb would be helpful. And if anyone has made the conversion on the PT-19 I would appreciate any advice.
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »

Do a search for FAI F2C electric.

I find that as a result of the drag from the lines I need more power for CL than I do for RC. I'd look for a power loading of at least 160 watts per pound*. And I'd use rather flat pitched props to keep the lap speed down.

*I'd spec the power systen to be able to go above 200 watts per pound.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

I should add that you will need a timer for the ESC. I use one called the Hubin timer. Today I don't know what is available. You will also want to set up your ESC in governor mode. This is usually found under the helicopter heading in most higher end ESC.

Here is a link to my attempt going down memory lane.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=17913.0

All the best,
Konrad

Bigron
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »

Thank you Konrad.  I look at the title of my post says stunt flying bur should have read sport flying.

I assume that would reduce the watts per pound. I was thinking that 150watts/pound should be enough.  I am not expecting to hot dog the plane.  In fact I’ll be happy to have a landing not requiring tape or glue.

I am venturing back into CL flying just to check it out and see if my childhood memories are accurate.  Plus I can fly CL on my property. 

I am hoping to control motor speed with mr transmitter just like a RC plane

I appreciate you taking time to reply to me.

Ron
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »

Can’t say as I make a distinction between Sport and Stunt Control Line flying. I’m sure 150watt/lb is flyable. I recall flying RC on less than 75 watts/lb. When converting CL to RC I’ve been told to use half the power for the RC model.  I hate to say this but I’ve never seen the RC throttle (ESC and TX) work with control line. I think you will loose one of the great benefits of electric CL, that is the constant speed one can get through out the whole flight profile. This was the holy grail of Control Line flying with the 4-2-4 break we tried to get with the old 2 stroke control line engines.

Please give this a fair shot. Use a timer and ESC set up as a governor. I think Castle Creation has details as to how to set up their ESC to run properly as a CL ESC.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: