Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 10:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Festival of Flight - Old Warden 2018  (Read 510 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »

Festival of Flight this weekend at Old warden. The forecast was pretty poor so I thought I would get there early and try to catch the best of weather.

I arrived to very light almost calm conditions which saw a flurry of activity once the airfield was open. First pic shows the early starters. I managed a few flights with a FF Tomboy and few with an RC assist rudder only Coquette before the rain arrived. It was forecast for 3 pm but in the end a steady drizzle set in about 11.30 which many continued flying in until the rain proper arrived around lunch time.

I packed up then changed my mind and flew for a bit in the rain but in the end the lure of a tour round the collection in the dry was too much and we packed up.

Many aircraft were away at Duxford but it was good to see an SE5A and an Albatros DVa newly arrived from TVAL being rigged ready for test flying

2nd pic looks like it needs a caption !! suggestions welcome :-)

I have some video which I'll upload in bit
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Festival of Flight - Old Warden 2018
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »

There's a video here

https://youtu.be/1lfB6oc847w

Things to note on the video are : The ingrained dirt and weathering effect on my Tomboy is ...er.. ingrained dirt and weathering after 15 years flying, the canard delta, despite its ferocious sound, is a sweet flyer and my mate Steve's earring is in fact a conrod and piston from a DC Bantam.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »

Nice...... did you fly the coquette?. I am building one and am interested although reports I have heard are encouraging! Vic Smeeds weighed 11ozs plus which seems a little Heavy?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »

Vic Smeeds weighed 11ozs plus which seems a little Heavy?

It is a heavier loaded aircraft than the likes of the Tomboy but 11ozs for FF sounds good to me . My single channel version weighs around 14ozs and flies very nicely on an original Mills p75, even if I do say so myself. Wink The climb is good but flying speed is bit more than you'd expect from a cabin sports model and this is exaggerated due to the small size of the Coquette so the glide speed seems correspondingly high too.

That said, it's one of my favourite sport models and is a reliable flyer even in quite strong wind. I have had it making negative ground speed off the airfield while looking quite serene and stable facing into wind !!!

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:41:07 AM »

Many thanks Chris - so I can relax!   Cheesy. I am going to use a Frog 80.  Is there any real advantage in a elevatoynas well.  No real problem, simply that rudder only is nearer complete Free Flight if you follow my drift.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 05:44:18 AM »

Thanks for the report and vid. Chris, and well done for going at all. Must admit the weather forecast put me off this time. Hopefully much better for Oxford next Sunday.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 06:34:47 AM »

We've made the journey ... but not gone in!
Jayne could only see two trade tents so we are sat in the Biggleswade Sainsbury's cafe.
Tempted by the visiting aircraft ... but not enough to pay £26
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 07:00:05 AM »

What’s the weather doing there, Russ?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:46:03 AM »

Jayne could only see two trade tents

There were a few more on Saturday but the weather definitely put a lot of people off.

It's actually cleared up here now with a moderate breeze. I'm about 40 m S of OW. To breezy to make the trip up now though

As you say Pete lets's hope for some decent weather next weekend for the Oxford Scale Fest
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 07:59:18 AM »

Just seen this on Shuttleworths Facebook page

Update on Aeromodeller event: Today's flying will not be going ahead due to the weather, so the site is open to the public as normal.
The reduced entry rate will still apply to anyone wanting to visit The Collection.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

Pete,
Sorry for the late reply ... sat in a pub in Biggleswade, sun now shining! Typical.

Thanks for the update, Chris  Smiley
Jayne happy watching football .... feels weird being just down the road, but I shan’t bother now.

Hope Oxford is good for you all ... don’t think I can make the trip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: