Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2018, 11:55:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BUTTERFLIES  (Read 621 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »

BUTTERFLIES
First of three replies

Let's not forget our other winged friends - the most beautiful of animals -  the Butterflies, with their erratic flight and their amazing phenomenal migrations.   Locally here in Windsor, the fall Monarch migration is coming through, and I have just discovered a large concentration of feeding Monarchs in a couple of newly created meadows nearby.  Shocked   A couple of hydro lines were replaced with new poles and wires, which necessitated a lot of heavy equipment which really dug up the earth roughly with deep trenches and piles of earth, which turned out to be basically a couple of seasonal wetland meadows, that are now covered, with ripe yellow Goldenrod flowers,  and ripe white Aster flowers, called Eupatorium Japonicum - Family Asteraceae, Genus Eupatorium, Species japonicum.  The common names are "Fragrant Eupatorium" and "Thoroughwort".

Pics  424  "RED ADMIRAL",  428,  433,  437,  438 Butterfly slivers,  443

Cont. next two replies

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
BUTTERFLIES
BUTTERFLIES
BUTTERFLIES
BUTTERFLIES
BUTTERFLIES
BUTTERFLIES

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »

BUTTERFLIES
Cont. from last reply

In these pictures, the butterflies were sitting all over the white Eupatorium and voraciously feeding on the nectar .  You don't know how many there are sitting there camouflaged,  until walking through them, when they would flutter up, and then right back down to feed, as if you were not even there.  The bees and wasps and hornets of all kinds, were all on the yellow Goldenrod while the butterflies were all over the white Eupatorium.  Many big bumble bees were also homing in on the wild Sunflower centers, and lots of dragonflies flying around and a newly hatched plague of grasshoppers.   These Monarchs can really fly,  and zoom and glide very fast, and I spent a final hour and one half, one evening,  just watching one fine meadow,  until dark, and studying their flight.  I even got a pic of the "Red Admiral" butterfly (first pic last post).   I have pics of big clumps and "clusters" and "flutters" of butterflies (the most I have ever seen),  as I have been,  for the past four days,  an avid Lepidopterist with my dog Trapper, just enjoying our fleeting time we have together in these small meadows.   I have pics of up to 15 Monarchs in one picture - they are more camouflaged and hard to see with their wings closed, with the duller undersides showing.  They are mostly all hanging sideways, vertically, while feeding.

Pics  444,  445,  446,  447,  448, 456

Cont. next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Re: BUTTERFLIES

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »

BUTTERFLIES 
cont. from last two replies

I found this super great site - click on  "BUTTERFLIES OF TORONTO" here  https://www.bing.com/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.toronto.ca%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2F969e...+%C2%B7+PDF+file&qs=n&form=QBLH&scope=web&pc=MOZD&sp=-1&pq=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.toronto.ca%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2F969e...+%C2%B7+pdf+file&sc=0-68&sk=&cvid=2D2172CB192842BDA88FD7024B3695B5 that loads a pdf.  file of 65 pages of great info - all the color pics naming every butterfly, plus all of the info of the plants used by the butterflies and caterpillars.   
     Great Spangled Fritillary,   or Wild Indigo Duskywing,  or Milbert’s Tortoiseshell,   or Silvery Checkerspot  - anyone?    The pics and names are all here.
     Now I am thinking of a Butterfly Ornithopter model ...

Pics  457,  466, 469, 478, 483,  MAP OF MIGRATION

The End

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »

Whenever I see big colorful butterflies I want to capture them with pencil, and watercolor, large format . I don't like the say i'm inspired, but recognize that it is an almost overpowering urge. We get the Monarchs (orange, black, and white) here on the northern California coast, but I really like the yellow, with  veining black lines,  and white and brilliant blue highlighted versions from over the hill, in the Sacramento valley. When I can, I check the front of the local hay hauler's trucks, to see if he's brought any live (and whole!!) specimens  back with him. I really need to learn their proper names and how better to preserve them, for future study.

I recall the famous Walt Mooney did a rubber powered heli- butterfly design, years ago. I myself used to dream of a larger (say 30" span, approx. A-1 sized))  tow line glider, in  enlarged, but scale, balsa outlines and single surface tissue cover. Perhaps with a bit of a purposely induced "stally" trim in attempt to emulate natural  flight? I've also  noted  some butterflies will glide, even soar, for extended periods, before resuming their more  usual erratic flapping flight. I just now thought that color art pens might be a way to give the tissue  a more correct "butterfly" look.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 89

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »

I really like butterflies too. Quite a few about here earlier this summer although I think like bees and other insects they're in trouble overall.

Last September we got loads of red admirals on our buddleia and I took these photos. (It's in flower again at the moment, but no sign of any yet this time.)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »

Hi Packard !   There are people out in the County here, who raise and release Monarchs - one did 500 and one did 1000.  These Monarchs are really FAST !!     I saw them slicing by horizontally in dead calm wind, with wings flat, so fast, it was just like a fighter jet !!   The real butterflies also make great color schemes !    Watercolors eh?

Hi Pete!   Thanks for those really great pics of the Red Admirals.  And nice underwing shot of the Admiral ...

I mentioned their names, so here are pics of  
1   -   Great Spangled Fritillary
2   -   Wild Indigo Duskywing
3   -   Milbert's Tortoise Shell
4   -   Silvery Checker Spot

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 02:20:54 AM »

The CLOUDED SULPHUR, with its bright yellow coloration, epitomizes the word “butterfly” as it flies swiftly over open meadows. It is believed that the yellow color of European Sulphurs was the inspiration for the word “butterfly” itself.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »

Neat stuff.

In Maryland I see Monrchs quite frequently, and until recently my work commute took me through southernmost Maryland. This year I did not to myself numerous Monarchs on my daily drive.

Another interesting migratory critter we have here are Osprey. OT, I know, but similar in terms of transitory nature, flying skill, and beauty.

-Dave

BBailey
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Me & my Great Grandson Bentley Liam Bailey

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »

You're in Maryland??? My wife, Great Grandson, and Stepdaughter and her family are all there. They have been having some fits with the wind and rain from a couple hurricanes. Glad that last monster that hit North Carolina didn't stay on its original trajectory, Baltimore would have been crushed. I love the seafood there.

BBailey

BBailey
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 07:25:43 AM »

Way too many years ago, in High School Biology, we had to collect and mount insects.  As part of the process, after extracting the now dead bugs from our home made cyanide jar (shudder!!) they were mounted on spreader boards.  Imagine my surprise when I accidently dropped one off the spreader only to find it glided quite well.  Even kept a couple of spares to demonstrate.  Best took around 15 seconds from 6 ft to the floor.
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »

You're in Maryland??? My wife, Great Grandson, and Stepdaughter and her family are all there. They have been having some fits with the wind and rain from a couple hurricanes. Glad that last monster that hit North Carolina didn't stay on its original trajectory, Baltimore would have been crushed. I love the seafood there.

BBailey

Yes, I live in MD.

The weather has been pretty unpleasant this summer ... clouds, rain, gloom, and doom.

Concur on the hurricane.

Cheers-
Dave
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »

Those dead Monatchs last a long time if you freeze them after you find them, the fresher the better, but the cadavers glide really far... I see them above our house actually soaring along with the Viceroys. They also hang out at our Titusville airshow: (1) Nice pic of a jet, something out of whack in orange field...? (3) mentally remove shadow of hack monarch paparazzi from otherwise neat pic!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:12:25 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »

Hi Crabby!  Thanks for those great pics!  That looks like a  "poisonous" MONARCH butterfly   ( as opposed to the "non-poisonous", imitation, VICEROY butterfly ),  resting on the side of that jet  -  nice reflection pic.
     Now I am researching these "ornithopter" balsa rubber powered models ... Pic #6

Pic #1     Cat in the Hat Monarch
Pic #2     Life Cycle Monarch
Pic #3     Larvae Comparison Monarch and Viceroy
Pic #4     Monarch Scent Glands and Viceroy
Pic #5     Monarch Viceroy Comparison
Pic #6     Balsa Model Ornithopter

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

PS  "Early Torontonians referred to Monarchs as "King Billies"  in honor of  British King William  of Orange.
PSS   Get a load of the Larva of the Viceroy in Pic #3  Huh
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:28:09 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 05:23:35 AM »

I found this great 12 min video of how to build the GRYPHON ornithopter kit from Birdkit.com.    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=AMA+Ornithopter+Plans+Rubber+Band&&view=detail&mid=6AD290C37359091D01B46AD290C37359091D01B4&&FORM=VRDGAR   There are lots of little parts, pre bent crank, laser cut plywood etc, and a really well done video on how to build this starter ornithopter.  The site says out of stock ...   
     Does anyone know if this kit is still available anywhere - or the plans?  I cannot find it.  Any help is appreciated.   Thanks.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »

Who needs a kit?

This could get you started ...

https://www.ornithopter.org/archive/freebird.pdf

-Dave
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »

Great kit, enjoyed the vid. All the fiddly-bits seem very well addressed. Seems like a great place to start. It flies like all of this particular type do, they want to shake themselves to bits! The loud paper popping is also part of the fun package.   Of course the biggest improvement to any rubber model is weight reduction. Tail sticks (look to be 3/32 sq, as do the wing spars) could be straight tapered to 1/32 thk at aft ends (brave might to try tapering thickness and width). Same type of tapering could be done to wing spars out-side of bearing plates. Tapering reduces a lot of interia related issues and the spar flexes more efficiently ,reducing the considerable strains and intensity of each "pop".  You might also swap out the brass bearing tubes for aluminum, etc. Lube the motor , which seems a bit excessive (four strands?) to me. I would think a single loop of that particular rubber would be enough. Packed in with a winder 750 to 1000 turns should be possible.  The single most critical thing with this type ornithopter is the crank bearing. It has to turn smoothly at all times, no binding, and under all loads encountered. I wondered about the two position crank, thinking it would eliminate the asyemitry of the power stroke, but see the model still turns away from the wing wich swings less(Huh) In my experience (admittedly a long time ago) a simple one position crank (has con rods together on the same crank) fly similarly. Ornihopers are a lot of fun. These types can be built without formal plans and very quickly. They are great to experiement with, testing different proportions, geometry, aspect ratios,  length of throw/stroke, con-rod lengths and configurations. You will definitely learn about binding issues, repair, and what needs to be reenforced, from the get-go.

Biplane types, with a bit more complicated, double throw crank systems, seem to be the indoor endurance preference,  these days. They are trying to  eliminate the shock of a single set of wings, loading and unloading. I seem to recall a vid that shows a dragon-fly tandom wing, where one piece front wing tilts one way, while aft wing tilts the other, cancelling out the forces. Very smooth.

I just noted the spectacular clear wisply looking butterfly model has a boom jutting forward of crank system. I suspect it is for balance/ballast.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »

I have been attracting Monarchs and bees in recent years by planting various native flowers and not cutting the milkweed. I've read the Monarchs like this plant.  I found this guy munching away on the milkweed.  He's a butterfly in training...
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 05:31:15 PM »

Sometimes if you are lucky you can buy milkweed with the caterpillar. I bought one once with 3!

The Threadkiller!
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »

I've convinced a few neighbors to leave their milkweed as long as they could stand it.  Haha. Small change, but I'm hopeful that we will be a monarch rest stop on their journey.  Also, some of those butterflies are amazing.  We have a butterfly here called the Blue Karner that I've never seen except pinned to a board of a collection. 
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:30 PM »

Well Crabby, I finally got a positive ID on the Viceroy butterfly this morning (now that I know what to look for).  The blazing goldenrod flower blooms are now fading, and the butterflies have flown on -  I only saw several Monarchs this morning and for the last 2 hours til sunset, overlooking the meadows, so they have really gone - it was amazing that I stumbled on that big "flutter" of feeding Monarchs on their big few days in a row - I estimate at least a couple of hundred.  No more big "Pond Hawk" dragonflies either.  And all the bees and wasps and hornets are now pretty much done also.   It was still fascinating to watch them fly around ...
     Even though it is still a heat wave here in the Windsor/Detroit area, fall is here as the leaves are starting to turn color, and the Trembling Aspen trees are trembling off their yellow leaves with the trembling winds and very audible trembling.
     Funny that you and Flydean have actually glided butterflies.  Mooney - that is great stuff making that little habitat area you have there.   It will be interesting to see if they come back.   And those "Karner Blues" you have over there - the last one sited in Ontario was in 1991 and they are now declared "extirpated" here.   They are quite dazzling.  We have a recent Sivery Blues moving into the Toronto area though, and "Eastern Tailed-Blues" and "Cherry Gall Azures" that are already there.   These butterflies and most all of the others, are there on that "BUTTERFLIES OF TORONTO" link on Reply #2 above, with all the stories and pics and info.    
     Hi Packard - thanks for all of your ornithopter info too - I'm still looking for that Gryphon kit here in North America - they sell that kit in the UK.

Pic #1      KARNER BLUE
Pic #2      SILVERY BLUE
Pic #3      EASTERN TAILED-BLUE
Pic #4      CHERRY GALL AZURE

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »

Thanks Ratz - the HPA site works just fine again now for me in Windsor, Ontario, Canada!   Grin Cheesy Smiley
     Here is a great, one and one half minute, "feel good" video, of a Monarch Butterfly emerging  from its Crysalis,  and pumping the fluid from its abdomen into its wings,  all to Classical Orchestra Music  ( Beethoven ? or Vivaldi ? ) here   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=emerging+butterflies&&view=detail&mid=5C3A98EE04D8CD6FA4F15C3A98EE04D8CD6FA4F1&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:02:15 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »

Thank you Richard & Pete - gorgeous!  We get the Red Admiral and some others. Now declining I assume but will certainly take more interest next year and and some suitable plants to the Garden and the green next door.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 03:50:19 AM »

Great photos and vids, each year my Wife takes a bunch of caterpillars into the Child Care Center where she works for the kids to watch hatch out, they enjoy that almost as much as they do watching the tadpoles she brings in turn to frogs.

Down here the Monarch is better known as the Wanderer.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 159

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 06:15:11 AM »

Fascinating collection of beautiful photos - thanks Richard.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: