Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 06:24:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another "Faux" No-Cal model from a clueless modeler! :) :)  (Read 518 times)
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »

I have discovered I actually like building models that "sort of, vaguely, almost but not quite" follow in the category of No-Cal.

I had so much fun building the XB-70 Valkyrie, and learning a little about props from Paul Bradley, Thank You Paul, that I thunk to myself, "Self, that English aerobatic R/C model you wanted to make as a rubber powered free flight, just might be a good candidate for this No-Cal idea!"

So, I present to you the 3 view drawings of my next Faux-Cal attempt, The Acro-Wot!!
Wingspan: 15"
Length: 10.8"
Area: ~35 Sq. In.

What do you experts think, should I enlarge the stab by about 10-15%?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Another "Faux" No-Cal model from a clueless modeler! :) :)
Another "Faux" No-Cal model from a clueless modeler! :) :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:57:53 PM by Dan Snow » Logged
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »

should I enlarge the stab by about 10-15%?

Yes
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »

Done, enlarged 10%  (Not sure if the original outline shows inside the structure)
Re: Another "Faux" No-Cal model from a clueless modeler! :) :)
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:54:02 AM »

Got the structure done and I must say the wing sure looks fragile!  I haven't decided on the motor stick yet, rolled tube or stick. I have all the bits to make the props either on hand or on order so as soon as I can find a 3.15" diameter bottle or can I can form up some blades.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »

That looks neat Dan. Perhaps a 'C' channel section motor stick would be midway between a solid stick and a rolled balsa tube. Have you looked at Rick's and Paul Bradley's NOCals?

John
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »

I have checked out Paul's site, and have swapped a few emails with him. All the No-Cal models he lists have a rolled tube motor sick. I just made one for the AcroWot, think I will make a stick one for the Valkyrie.
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »

I received my order of tissue and was able to finish the Acro-Wot. The prop is under construction and will be finished shortly.  By the way is there a maximum weight for No-Cal?  This one currently weighs 7 grams without prop or motor.

It was a fun project and I learned a couple of things

1. I asked my wife to smack me if I ever suggest making a multi-color tissue covering again!!

2, I'm not sure this class is my cup of tea. Primarily because I have no place to fly it. It is way to fragile for outdoor in a field and as far as I can tell there is no indoor fling in my area at all. Plus I'm almost afraid to touch it, it is so fragile!!

I just realized the picture makes the wing look huge. It's really not that big! Smiley Smiley
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »

Very colourful. What no RC? Smiley

John
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »

I had the full size R/C version a couple decades ago, a fantastic flying machine!

Something else I learned on this one. If you don't preshrink the tissue, then shrink it after it's on the wing, you get some really interesting shapes.  They have relaxed to where I believe it will fly ok, though they do have a rather nice elliptical dihedral now!  Grin Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »

I think it's probably safer with light structure models like this to preshrink only.

John
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »

I need some advice. I made the prop for the Acro-Wot out of 1/32" balsa with a bamboo spar and alum tube hub.  But on 3 of 4 test flights so far I have broken a blade along the grain. Would applying tissue to the blades help without taking the curve out of the blades.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »

One solution would be to cut the blades out of a plastic or foam cup. have a look at "Bucket Props". Covering the balsa blades with tissue may warp them out of shape - I think I would just run CA around the outline to toughen them up a bit and leave it at that. At least you should then have less splits.

John
Rossclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

F1D is pretty neat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 12:47:27 PM »

If the grain is parallel to the spar, build a new prop with the grain 45 degrees to the spar, and if it seems a bit floppy span wise, make the prop spar full length of the prop.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: