Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 14, 2018, 02:00:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pelta 1980 RCM Conversion to a E-Pelta BUILD  (Read 386 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 65

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: October 31, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »

I have always liked Deltas and many years back I was intrigued by the Pelta as it was a Single Channel design that was described as being able to fly the book. Its been a long time and I am in the last stages of completion. I will be making a build log here on my findings.

The fact that this airplane was single channel and did all its vertical pitch with bank angle and velocity was a novel approach in flight control. Neither did this airplane have elevators, and any kind of throttle was even more interesting.

With the state of power systems now, and micro radio control equipment, I decided to make a E-Pelta. This version having Ailerons, Elevator and Throttle, giving some much needed control back.

I will be describing power and control at a later time and will just begin the build process.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pelta 1980 RCM Conversion to a E-Pelta BUILD

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »

Looks very intriguing!

If you could figure out how to couple the Ailerons and Elevators....

Rich

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »

After careful review of the plans, I was convinced that it would make a fine candidate for a 2208/14 1400KV outrunner motor. Since this original design is in the .049 class then the 2208 or 2212 motor choices would be more than adequate for a design of this weight class and wing area. 19 oz and 260 square inches of wing is right in the range for these motors. I am shooting for a 6x4 prop turning close to  11,000 rpm I expect it to be a fast mover.

Construction is mostly wing, built as a layered cake, flat, from the bottom side upwards. Bottom sheeting is layed out from overextending lines on the plans and sheet pieces are sized and cut directly from the plan. Plan was taped over in strategic areas with clear packing tape to keep the pieces glued to the plan. Parts edge glued in place and the center section built in place. I also re-traced rib locations right on the balsa for later reference.  Included in the third image is center rib and lower capstrips also added on the bottom. Weights coming in handy, steel bars and one lonley steel bar Croc paperweight that has been in the family for 60 years.

Re: Pelta 1980 RCM Conversion to a E-Pelta BUILD

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 02:11:31 PM »

Oh I did find a way and that is with a mechanical mixer of custom design for this bird as this comes up later in the build.
Details to follow

Sundance12

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

Ribs and half ribs were traced by taking the templates right from the plan, and drawn right on balsa.

When it comes to laser cut pieces I am no fan. I have no trouble with hand cut parts and the craft of working with each piece in order to make sure its correct is all part of the scratch built game. Lower spars were cut and glues in place, and then the ribs one at a time were added.

I only build 30 minutes at a time, even if I use CA glue. The intermissions give me time to look at things and plan the next moves. Parts to go, special technique for part installation, test fit of fresh parts.

I am beginning to realize at this stage that I am in new territory when it comes to models, that being no dihedral, and unusual fuselage attachments.

All goes well.

Small moves.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »

Center cross braces added then leading edge spar, and upper main spar and trailing edge web continue to add to wing internal structure.
Second image shows some longerons added in the center section as underlay for top sheathing. Vertical grain web added into the main spar and then some leading edge top sheeting. Sheeting went a bit easier than expected as I used a slower curing CA and this allowed me to get the sheeting placed correctly. I followed the plan closely with no deviation and I have kept this approach throughout the build except for alterations in the conversion needed for mechanical and motor requirements to meet current day and age.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »

Wing leading edge sheeting completed, now some addition of some center sheet. Cut and try center section triangle pieces.  Last image is the addition of cap strip leading edges as per plan. Shaping comes later.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »

The next series of images will show some technique I have been using to make parts from plans.
The parts here are wingtip plates and tip plate stabilizer guides. The first image is an example of the process. I lay a clean sheet of paper over the part indicated on the plan, and with good light, trace the part as best I can.
Cut out the trace to make a paper template and match it to the plan for closeness. Place the paper template right on the stock material and hand trace. Cut out the part from the stock and sand to final shape. These parts were made from 1/32 and 1/16th ply as stipulated on the plan. They will be added later in the build process. The technique is pretty much the same for all parts other than large sheeted surfaces. Once a part is prepped for its purpose its test fitted and set aside for when its needed in the build process or immediately. That step may be in the future or right away. I tend to make parts as I go, and then assemble. This way the plane is built as the parts are made making building time quite efficient and almost kit free...

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:51:24 PM »

The plan called for an interesting part, a tip plate that is used to set the stabilizer angle in the wing stabilizer plates. This part was only there as a jig, as a larger tip plate will go on afterwards. I was intrigued by this approach as the designer has solved a problem that I would have faced later in the construction, that being what angle do you set the stabilizers? These plates made short work of that problem and I knew that the designer had flight tested this angle to be correct, eliminating my need to test this for myself later in flight testing.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »

Now came the thinking stage. The fin on this design is made from a sheet of 1/8th ply as a backbone for a motor mount. In the image it shows the setup for a TD .049 engine but I wanted to build it for a Outrunner motor. I had to add a motor back plate mount. The TD mounting slot is abandoned, widened as it was the beam mount for the TD engine. This space is the engine compartment for the Outrunner. The back plate mount is a radial mount for typical X plate mounting hardware found on Outrunner motors. the rest of the fin is constructed as per plan and kept to original design. A review of the plan details fin formers and overall construction and in my case I did not need an opening for any kind of fuel tank. These former strips were duplicated on the opposite side of the fin.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »

Tricky part starts here for me as I had to install 6 dowel alignment posts that were called for on the plan. I had never encountered this approach to setting up a fuselage before and getting the posts in the right place required some serious double-checking with the plan to locate them right, never mind  making them square with the bottom of the airfoil. After that the partially assembled fin was set in place and tacked for later permanent fastening.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

The next problem in the conversion to the E-Pelta was control system as the elevator and aileron were going to be mixed. I could handle this issue 2 ways, use a advanced radio with mixing on board the transmitter or, stay with a 4 channel basic radio with elevator and elevator manged through a mechanical mixer. Either way, two servos would be installed and how...
I decided to build a servo slider with one movable servo for ailerons and this sliding servo moved by a fixed servo for elevators. These small servos are easily mounted to balsa/ply trays and one tray attached to a bed of aluminum tubes that more on a set of rod rails. This whole contraption was a shot in the dark. I researched mechanical servo mixers for a couple of days, and this is what I arrived at based on available room in the fuselage. At first trials, it seemed to work out in application. Flight tests will prove...

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »

On the bottom, formers get installed and aligned. This was bit of a trial and error application. Soon after this stage the fuselage sides get built.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »

Fuselage sides are constructed as per plan. Templates traced in the technique outlined previously, and duplicated in wood. The fuselage side is made in 3 pieces and a doubler. Upper, middle and lower, thus forming the slot for a wing. I managed to cut both fuselage sides from a single sheet of 3/32 wood. Afterward, sanded to shape as per plan and set up for a plywood doubler. This doubler made from plan templates, from 1/32nd ply and layed onto each side being careful to not make tow of the same side.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »

Fuselage sides test fit and re-test fit on the wing a number of times to get things correct and to finalize the fitting of the fuse sides into the area of the modified engine back plate. I had to inspect the overall alignment and see how the fuselage was going to attach to the upper and lower formers so that things were aligned and straight. I think I was really lucky in the final fuse side attachment as things were as close  to normal as I got. Last image is the initial trial installation of the Outrunner motor and its associated wiring. One thing I like to build into my projects is that no hardware be lost inside a design. I want to be able to extract all hardware from the airplane at any time without resorting to any destruction. Perhaps I will never need to do any kind of swap but in this airplane I have a larger motor and different speed controller for future flight. The opening in the side is large so that I can detach the motor power leads and pull out the speed control from inside the cabin. The motor can be changed at any time and connected to whatever speed controller is inside. Fairings will be made to streamline this area. The last image shows this fairing and the addition of the nose block and preliminary shaping. Oh and added a 6x4 pusher prop for motivation.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »

That is a different way to build a fuselage on a wing SD. It's a nice looking little delta.

John
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »

You bet John, it took me a bit of review of the original article and a good look at the photos of the designer, and review of plans to get a handle on the process.
It was a bit easier than expected, but I had to d a fair bit of test fitting to get the sides to line up on the wing saddle location. From then I installed the remaining formers as per plan. The plan did a weak job of making former templates so I had to reference the plan frequently to measure out height and width of each former. Also, each side has to be aligned and glued onto each side of the fin and that took a bit of readjustments. Image shows some of these formers inserted on the bottom side as well.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »

Nose block is a lamination of some sheets of wood that I had to carve out the underside of to match the curvature of the fuselage sides. I was not so impressed with this technique and I decided to do the remainder of the canopy in a different way, posted later.
The bottom sheeting went on per plan, 1/16th ply in front and 1/16th balsa cross grain in the aft. All sanded to shape. Final image is the initial stages of nose block forming and tail section block around the fin area back to the firewall. Early shaping of the nose block.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 03:41:36 PM »

Canopy block was a very interesting problem and I decided to make it in the curved shapes by lamination of profiles. First image shows the canopy frame rails being installed in place, just tack glued so that cross braces could be installed. the inside of the fuselage being the jig for the canopy frame. Also shown is the canopy block partially formed. Image two shows the canopy block made from 6 pieces of 3/8th in balsa laminated together and basic carving to initial shape. Block fitting in image 3. Another look at canopy block showing basic shaping and carving. Next image is the canopy shaped and the nos block and tail deck also shaped to final curves. Last image is of the inside of the canopy block with the completed canopy frame attached. Front will get a former pin and the aft canopy section with get a lateral hold down pin both of dowel.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »

Tail section showing a motor mount faring installed. This piece is not on the plan and is an addition to streamlining in the motor back plate that is also a modification of the plan to make it a E-Pelta. Second image is the left side.

Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »

I can't wait to hear the flight reports!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »

Me too, this bird will challenge my flying skills. I expect it to be very quick.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »

Elevons were installed with proper control horns, and in this case I used nylon hinge method in the traditional over under every 2 inches. I like this particular hinge method for smaller craft as it is easy to do, and holds surfaces in a ridgid way, with no slop and no stiffness. Your mileage may vary.  I had considered this step for after the covering but with silkspan I had no issues with a covering over top the hinges.
Covering was light silkspan, and was applied damp with the aid of EZE Dope fluid 30% fluid 70% water. I will be finishing with a top cote of Varathane Dimond Wood finish. Silkspan is great, and was a snap to cover, with the use of EZE dope I got fine tight covering and was pleased that I could work indoors. Drying was aided from time to time with my Top Flight heat gun.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »

Trim covering is all done with dollar store hallmark gift wrap tissue as it is thin and light. This added a color over top the silkspan with no issues. Trim colors applied with glue stick, dry and then EzE Dope applied on top and dried with heater to shrink remaining wrinkles out. Canopy Block is trimmed in blue, and further red trim on the perimeter of the wing. Fuselage sides with blue completed a canopy simulation. Fin is done up in red and some #4 Icon was applied to the side. Somehow this made me feel like I had completed some version of a Thunderbirds themed flying machine. Final red perimeter trim on the flying surfaces was last.

As well applications of Varathane Dimond Cote water based finish on some stages of the model for a slight shine.

I may add another complete layer of varathane.

Receiver, battery and speed controller connected, servos set in place for neutral, control throws established and a power check for laughs.

I am pleased with electric conversion as I am able to run power in the workshop and not have exhaust everywhere. This electric system is loud with the prop so close to the back of the fin.
Perhaps a C of G check before test flights that are outlined in the article.

I'm in new waters now and they will be a bit deep.

Cheers

Sundance12

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »

Very nice traditional work SD. I still think I may have chickened out and built the fuse separately and slid it on to the wing. I'm not sure I could have done as good a job as you have on the wing. But that what the heck - the challenge is what makes it fun.
Good luck with those first flights.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: