Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 14, 2018, 01:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: F1G F1B prop delay  (Read 306 times)
cglynn
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »

While I don't fly these feats of free flight technology, I still like to know how stuff works.  I was watching some F1B and F1G flights on the 'net and noticed that some of the models use something to prevent the prop from turning until the model is a fairly significant distance from the flyer's hand.  Is that a feature that is activated by a scroll timer, or inertia/momentum of the plane being thrown and a mechanism in the nose block?

Thanks
CG
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »

CG,
It is activated by a timer (mechanical or electronic). A mechanism in the front end holds the blades out in a feathered position until the timer releases the front end and allows it to rotate.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
cglynn
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »

Thanks Tmat.  I couldn't quite envision how that worked, but after a bit of looking on Youtube I found some videos that highlighted F1B timers.  The best one I watched used a disc shape escapement that held a bunch of release wires for prop delay, tail incidence, wing adjustment, DT, etc.  The unit was run by a servo linked to a timer.  I am sure for all the serious F1B fliers, I just described the equivalent of Monday morning, but I honestly had no idea that modern F1B models were that advanced.  Very cool.

CG
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »

CG,
Yes that's right. The same thing can be done with a mechanical timer driving a similar disk.
Some recent F1B's have additional servos to change the wing incidence (independently if desired) which eliminates some of the lines and of course the implications are that you could vary the flying surfaces with near infinite freedom. So far, this has not proven to be any significant advantage however.

Tmat

F1B guy...
cglynn
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »

Thanks T,

I would assume that as more and more servo controlled features are added, these things get more and more similar to something resembling an RC glider.  Of course the functions are on a timer, instead of actively controlled.  But just like RC soaring, I would still think the major determining factor for performance is the ability to detect and launch in good air.

CG
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »

CG, yes air picking is still paramount. And choosing good rubber of course!

Tony

F1B guy...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: