Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 23, 2019, 03:52:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: cherry blossom  (Read 1913 times)
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

Topic starter
A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »

hi guys i have started something new.. It is a japanese cherry blossom! suicide bonmber. it is small than a peanut in wingspan but the body is very long so that i can pack in heaps of rubber Smiley So far i have used 5lb c-grain wood and it feels very strong and light. The body is very easy to make as all the formers are round and i just cut them with a circle cutter. I would like to thank steve badge for the plan. for those of you who are wondering i am making this rubber power and not rapier as that is what i have on hand.. I will use clear blades for the prop so that they are harder to see in the air. here is the body shots so far.

regards
Matthew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
cherry blossom
cherry blossom

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:03:16 AM »

here is the progress to date.. fuse wing and tail plane..
Re: cherry blossom

JPRIZZ
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

Interesting Matthew. If I am seeing it correctly, the stringers are not notched into the formers and I don't see any keels. The fuse looks to have a slight taper too, so... How did you get the fuse not to bannana when putting the stringers on?
-Josh

Creator of Threads That Must Be Moved
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:55:14 AM »

I have found no need for keels and so forth with the methods that i use and the size of the planes which i make. The model has perfectly round formers so I could lay the stringers accross very easily. and i always make them in the basic balsa jig that is made (per model) over the plan with vertically placed sticks at each former location with a horizontal piece of balsa that is glued to all the vertical former braces top and bottom. it keeps all the formers very true and takes the geuss work out of it.

regards
Matthew

lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »

here is some of the latest pics. It is all covered now. I am just going to put it together without cockpit and stuff like that and see if it flies ok, If it does it will get the full Paint and canopy treatment. I have used a combination of alchohol and water to shrink it and i have applied 3 coats of thinned down dope to all surfaces. I will now let it rest (pinned down) for a few days so that the flying surfaces do not warp and then it will be glue time!!

regards
Matthew

jim_buxton
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Fly more gliders!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »

Nice looking Ohka Bomb Matthew!

I built one last year for WWII No-cal mass launch. It is a great model for that event!

~Jim
Nice Ohka!

~Jim Buxton
Columbus Ohio
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »

Great project.
I did a Rapier power Ohka a few years back.. The plan was published in the UK magazine R/C Model Flyer. If built exactly to scale it could end up needing a lot of noseweight as the nose on the real thing was full of TNT and very short:o.
My original flew ok but was a bit heavy due to all the noseweight. I did a modified version with slightly stretched nose.

I've got plenty of scale reference drawings and photos if they are of any use, plus my plan.

lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »

i love these planes that you have made guys! the no cal one is a stoke of genius and the rapier one as always is beautiful! i test flew mine and it needed the smallest prop in the world to stop it from doing torque rolls. i might have to enlarge the fins to see if that helps at all.

regards
Matthew

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: