Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 06:40:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P-51 fsw  (Read 541 times)
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »

Hello everyone.  Hope things are going great.

I have been wanting to build a p-51 mustang for awhile now.  The other day I came across the plans for this mustang from Pres Bruning.  All the voices in my head said build it, built it, built it.  I listened to those little voices and printed out the plan from the building gallery.  ( A big thanks to Ratz and Sundance12 for this great website.  I have learn alot from here.). I used the poster feature on the computer and made two copies.  One, I put together for plans, and the second for parts and notes.

A little history on this plane.  In 1945 in a quest for more maneuverability.   North American decided to try a new wing design.  The mustang was chosen for the new wing.  In the wind tunnel tests it was discovered that the rigid aluminum wing was flexing asymmetrical, with loss of control.  They then discovered that the wing had to be reduced to a 15 degree sweep.  Testing quit soon after, and no planes were ever built.  The mustang was to have a propeller on the front with a jet engine in the body.

Now.to the build.  I used the second copy of the plans and cut out all the parts.  I then glued them on balsa using a glue stick.  Slick trick that I will use again.  The wings I changed to a cracked ribs set up.  This resulted in a thinner wing than the plans.  This also changed it from a symmetrical airfoil to a flat bottom airfoil.  Hope this works.

The tail feathers went together fast.  Did find one problem with elevator.  The plan shape is about a 1/4" bigger than the side view.  This causes a problem with it sticking out past the fuselage.  The easy fix was to notch the elevator.  (Scrap balsa to the rescue.)

The fuselage was little more tricky for me.  I build the sides over the top of each other and that went well.  When I put the bulkheads in place I learned that therd was no f-7 bulkhead.  I moved f-8 and f-9 forward and that solved the problem.  The other thing I had trouble with was the bulkhead rested on top of the fuselage sides.  If I do this again I will build it with balsa stringers in-between the sides then add on the bulkheads. (On top of the balsa stringers.). I decided to leave off most of the stringers.  The space between was small and the tissue would follow the bulkheads around easily.

One small note, I am planning building with the landing gear up.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
P-51 fsw
P-51 fsw
P-51 fsw
P-51 fsw
P-51 fsw
P-51 fsw
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »

Grin Grin  i did a plane like that  fsw using sw on elevators.  called it MIGHTY MOUSETANG.... HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!!

actually I've had several fsw wing designs.  a modified cloud tram as a canard with fsw, the heinkel p1076 (see LUFT46.com)  so this is fun.

jim  Grin
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »

Interesting design. I like strange-looking designs. Hope it flys well for you.
ian
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

Wondering what the stall is like and what's the correct wash in or out. I suspect wash in may be appropriate.
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 12:56:24 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  Some of my favorite planes are canards and forward swept wings.  One day I want to build the x-29. 

Lincoln and p40qmilj, I have been thinking along the same lines for a couple of days, about wash in or out.  One thing that might help, is the huge amount of dihedral.  The original P-51 model had alot.  It's up to the top of the fuselage.  Any advice on this would be of great help.

Right now I am working on covering the wings.  Will post some pictures soon.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:11 AM »

Thats a cool model. Aft swept wings tend to tip stall.and forward swept wings root stall, so it should not need washout.
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »

Thanks piecost.  I remember hearing that as soon as I read it.  I was relieved and feel much better now.
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »

I have been pretty busy lately and haven't had any time to work on my mustang.  I thought you might like a small teaser.  I have the tail feathers covered.
Re: P-51 fsw
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »

Could it be you are modeling the nearly unknown photo reccon variant with fsw's and visually disruptive "dazzle" cammou livery?

I suspect that particular design could be flown as a canard, much like a backward flying Gee Bee I saw, with pusher prop?
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »

Your correct Charlieman.  I am modeling the forward swept wing mustang, with the dazzle camo.  Nice catch.

It been fun but it's been a challenge on the dazzle camo.  I  have been doing all the dazzle camo in tissue.  I covered the plane in white tissue and then put the black spikes on with thinned white glue.  The wings have been a real challenge.  I drew up the camo scheme on paper and then realized that the camo goes only on the bottom.  I had to mark the spots it was to go then lift it up in the air and mark the correct directions to get it right.  Then add the tissue spikes. Still have a few to go but I have to put it all together to get them to match on the bottom of the plane.  With the forward swept wings.

Since the mustang never made it past the wind tunnel testing stages. It probably should be silver, but silver kinda scared me.  I decided to try something different and was looking at coast guard colors when I found the dazzle camo.  It felt right to be on the forward swept wings of the mustang.

The picture, is of the original P-51 trial.   In 1942 they tried the dazzle camo on one mustang.  It worked really well.  The drawback was in keeping the camo paint right all the time.  It gave the ground crews nightmares, and was never put into service for that reason.
Tyrannt
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »

Here are a couple of quick pics.  Nothing is glued together yet.  The wings are holding the body up.  Hope you like.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »

Making good progress. I love the dazzle finish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: