Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 06:36:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Low Aspect Ratio Sailplane LARS - Build  (Read 630 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »

Thanks for the kind words vtdiy, I have reached a stage in my life where model aviation, like a bunch of other things, work, pets, home-improvement, all are evaluated with SIMPLICITY in mind. I get to finding I lack time and resources to work complicated, so all modifications are scrutinized heavily. My goal this season is to build planes, and have a number of them by next flying season. I have 2 completed and there are several others in the works and on the list. My approach to builds is to have the project completed and then Post afterward. Build-and-post takes me away from build, your mileage may vary. The LARS was one of these that went to plan (wing bar mod see previous post), as did my conversion to E-Pelta from a Pelta found in the electrics section. Pelta just got a out-runner in it other than a .049 otherwise the design stayed to plan. I have another in the works that is a 1934 rubber stick that got a small RC gear in it otherwise it has stayed to plan (post to follow).

LARS airplane was high on my list many years ago and now is off my bucket list, there are others.

Airplanes that I have flown in life that had large chords,  1966 Alon A2 Aircoupe, Piper Cherokee 140 and others had sink rates that were brisk once airspeed was reduced to just below the normal approach speed. This was due to drag production and thick airfoils and long chords. The A2 had no flaps. The advantage to this was approach glide path control to short strips. I am expecting this same kind of slow speed approach control with the LARS. Hopefully I can make tight approach work and spot landings to my satisfaction. I feel that once I know the flight characteristics of this Plane I will be able to fly it to some good points.  So is the premise.

SD12

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
vtdiy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 06:07:06 PM »

Ahh yes, I didn't pick up on the mention in the first post that the building was completed. Good self control not to post while building -- I should probably try the same. I'm very much looking forward to your experiences with this plane when flying season gets here.

I've been working on using a flat plate foil for a very small and light sailplane plank. I've played around with ultralight simple pure high aspect rectangular plank gliders, and so far the flat plate gave the best glides. Building a model of a Marske XM1d with a flat foil now.

It's fun exploring what seem to be discarded types, or approaches. The LARS is one of those.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »

There are other designs that also intrigue, like big flying wing planks but I won't get into them here. I think that unconventional designs are good for education. I found another image of a LARS I think it is from Dick's original.
The fuselage is different from the plan and looks like it is fiberglass. No matter, the Built Up fuselage as per plan is lighter anyway.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Low Aspect Ratio Sailplane LARS - Build

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »

Wing roots were made, and test fit. I had to reposition the holes for the wing bars as these locations had risen from the original placements because of the change from bent wing bars to straight. I also test fit the wing roots with the wing tubes located in the fuselage to see how things fit. much trial fitting and alignment was worked on. Top block was built and the wing tubes were tacked in place and the wing roots remained removable until very late in the build.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »

Nose former installed and fuselage checked against plan. This plan had no fuselage top view so I had to transfer some side view data to my building board for references and former locations. Nose block was built in layered 1/4 inch balsa as I had no block balsa to do the job at the time. Aft tail-boom top decking was also added with some basic carving and shaping in some locations. I had considered hollowing out the nose block and turtle deck more but the wood was light and I did not have proper tools to do hollowing well so I left this procedure alone. In the last image, the wing roots are removed and set aside for very late in the process, they have to be installed last to line up with wing roots and I had no wings built for this situation.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: