Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 06:55:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VIT for Coupe  (Read 220 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2018, 04:24:18 AM »

Please could someone post a picture of how to arrange VIT from a single Tomy timer on a Coupe? Since mine turn once a minute, all I can think of is a double disc so the lever moves from one to the other for the two minutes. Then  to avoid compromising the DT time, one of the discs has teeth around the edge like a clock wheel to hook the VIT line onto. I'm sure there are much better ideas, and I'm sure it's all in Aeromodeller but I know what happens when I sit down with a mountain of magazines for a search!
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:19:38 AM »

The one in the model is John Barker's design I'll try and find a pic for the conversion. The other one is just a bit of wire soldered to form a T. Both work
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VIT for Coupe
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:05:16 AM »

This was my approach.  Tomy timer with DT wire wound onto shaft and VIT release fixed to winding knob.  At the back end the M2 nylon screw adjusted the stop position for the VIT and the DT release disc could be adjusted to give the optimum fly/glide position. 

The use of VIT makes trimming easier and does away with lots of downthrust for the burst.  I liked my props to pull in the direction that I wanted the model to fly rather than pointed to the ground  Grin.  As to flying LR - never understood the reasoning.

With my thin outrigger props I reckoned that they went into a higher pitch in the burst and as a result I needed a VIT period between 10 and 15 seconds.

Did they fly the contest yesterday?

Ralph
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:19:36 AM »

Did they fly the contest yesterday?
Thanks Ralph. Yes we flew. Turnout was low and it was windy, from the 'turbulence' end of Barkston.  Lots of swooping initial climbs but I enjoyed it anyway!
Why have I never needed to use downthrust on a duration model?
Bill
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »

I didn't go, but my spies tell me that it was won by Phil Ball!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:58:59 AM by PeeTee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: