Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 05:40:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: One Sheet Glider  (Read 407 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 89

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »

I'm not naive enough to think I'm the only person who's ever come up with something like this, but regardless, this one's mine (and Hope's). All you need is a single piece of 4"x12"x1/16" balsa. It builds very quickly and flies surprisingly well.
Here's the instructional video on how to build it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msrLJogxusQ
And here are the plans: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V0NJ1sPb1FiFnv4h98_WgDqMMkTvRjZH
For those looking to use this for group builds, I do offer a kit, and you can get quantity discounts on an individual basis.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
One Sheet Glider
One Sheet Glider
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »

Very nice!
I have seen a few one-sheet gliders in the past. However, those gliders used simple tapered wing tips and tail surfaces often to make producing a glider by scratch as easy for kids as possible (no curves). Your model looks very similar to the glider that A2Z used to make the Stinger. It was a very nice flyer too. For their kits they used 1/32" balsa for the tail surfaces so it technically wasn't a One sheet model.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »

Very nice!
I have seen a few one-sheet gliders in the past. However, those gliders used simple tapered wing tips and tail surfaces often to make producing a glider by scratch as easy for kids as possible (no curves). Your model looks very similar to the glider that A2Z used to make the Stinger. It was a very nice flyer too. For their kits they used 1/32" balsa for the tail surfaces so it technically wasn't a One sheet model.

Tmat

Stinger was a major source of inspiration. I've spent a long time trying to come up with an adequate replacement for it in the commercial market. I'd be a fool to claim that this is a replacement for that airplane, but hopefully it helps fill some of the void.

I recommend those wanting to build a dead simple airplane with no curves take a look at the Nighthawk Gliders Sandpiper which has proven wildly successful. It's difficult to trim to high performance flying, but will do 20 seconds for most newbies. Nighthawk is in the process of kitting it (they're already cutting them) and hopefully that model will be available for sale in the near future.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »

The Easy Mini Catapult Glider by Chuck Markos is my favorite simple small CLG for kids. It was kitted at one time. No curves, trims out easy and simple to build.

Tmat

F1B guy...
-John-
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »

Nice work there Maxout,

Did anyone purchase the Sting Aero Products brand which was for sale from A2Z?
The little Stinger gliders had the potential to do well in the right hands. Have seen friends get one minute flights in a high ceiling hangar.

oops, yes it was by catapult(just noticed this was the HLG tread).
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »

Very nice Josh.

I absolutely loved the two Stinger clg's and will take a close look at the One Sheet Glider design, plans and video to see
if it peaks my interest to build one.

A side note/story to Josh and Tony about your good works with these simple gliders -
About 4~5 years ago i built a bunch of these simple 1/16" winged gliders - stingers with a few copies - and
flew them at my local RC park flyer field. This rc guy had his  9 year old son there so i gave him and son
one of these Stinger kits. Never heard or saw them again. Fast forward to this year, i see the Dad again and
he tells me that little CLG glider **ignited**  his sons interest in model aviation (RC - his dad had the equipment already)
 and now to the point now at 15yrs old the boy is taking single engine private pilot training.

When he turns 16 he has a pre-assigned flying school grant to help him pay for and complete his full size PP flight training.

Good works you two, thanks for creating and posting and updating a fundamentally good idea and product!!!

john s. in so. cal
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »

jswain, awesome story! I love that kind of stuff!

Did anyone purchase the Sting Aero Products brand which was for sale from A2Z?
The little Stinger gliders had the potential to do well in the right hands. Have seen friends get one minute flights in a high ceiling hangar.

Unfortunately Sting Aero is dead along with many other things due to the A2Z debacle. Really sad.

oops, yes it was by catapult(just noticed this was the HLG tread).

Meh. You can do both. Sometimes with the same airplane, but definitely with the same design. I chucked this one in here (see what I did there) because it's set up to do both and I had to pick one!

The Easy Mini Catapult Glider by Chuck Markos is my favorite simple small CLG for kids. It was kitted at one time. No curves, trims out easy and simple to build.

If I'm not mistaken, those aren't original to Chuck...he adapted it from one person who adapted it from another and so on. If I'm not mistaken even Joe Foster was in on one variation. Either way, I built on back in the day, then built a second from nice balsa and tissued it over. Lost it on its third flight if I remember correctly, which is not nearly as bad as the 6" glider I lost on its first launch...thermal was so strong it was OOS in only 30 seconds, straight up. Thankfully that hasn't been repeated.  Shocked

lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »

I'd be tempted to use a 3 X 36 sheet and use a double thickness wing sanded with an airfoil shape. Would have to use glue that sanded easily. Duco?
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »

Nice story John. Awesome!
I've attached the Mini Cat plan.
I created a 12" version of this for an Israeli Junior competition a few years ago. Apparently it flew great!

Tmat
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: One Sheet Glider

F1B guy...
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »

I'd be tempted to use a 3 X 36 sheet and use a double thickness wing sanded with an airfoil shape. Would have to use glue that sanded easily. Duco?

This is something that's been proposed (and done) on several occasions and frankly it's an academic exercise. Sure, it can be done, but the tooling required to make it work well renders it pointless if the goal is to produce something simple. Laminating large areas of balsa is NOT easy. You have to weigh it down evenly or it will warp. The truth is that laminating the fuselage halves together for the OSG is pushing things pretty far as it is, and I only am doing it because the parts are relatively small and it truly helps with the economy of the model. By the time you're looking at 36" sheets, it's both cheaper and easier to just use the correct thicknesses right out of the gate.

I remember some years ago there was an effort over on SFA to laminate sheets together to produce elliptical dihedral wings. Having gone down that road, yes it works, but the difficulty of getting a good, accurate finish is so ridiculously high that you end up better off both in build complexity and in flight performance to just build the traditional way. You'd need a CNC mill to get any advantage at all, and you might as well mold the thing from Rohacell and Carboweave at that point.

Not trying to be negative, just relating my own experience. I've tried a lot of ideas that seemed great and turned out futile (and very frustrating).
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 02:16:59 AM »

Well, if laminating really didn't do the job, I think my next choice, assuming I wanted to have a real airfoil, and work with only one sheet, would be to start with a piece of 1/8 and just sand or plane the tail surfaces much thinner. Of course, a glider with a nearly flat plate wing can still be worth messing around with. I built one in a hurry once for the FAC tiny glider event. Longest flight was something like two minutes, though usually it was more like 20 or 30 seconds without lift. Eventually it was crushed while riding around in the back seat of my car. I should build another one or three.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: