Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 11:01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P-30 Spitfire wing questions  (Read 2729 times)
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2019, 03:20:37 PM »

Most fabric stores stock the stuff.  May be in sewing/craft section of WallyWorld.  I got mine from the local Jo Ann fabric store.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 132

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2019, 07:00:00 PM »

Hi Randoloid,

I tried all the fabric stores in my area, and none had it on the shelf. Joann could order it in for me but I can do that... go on Amazon. It might be in the fab stores in your area but not mine, I hate Walmart safaris so I didn’t try there. Amazon had it here in two days.

The Threadkiller!
randoloid
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2019, 08:13:00 AM »

Hi Randoloid,

I tried all the fabric stores in my area, and none had it on the shelf. Joann could order it in for me but I can do that... go on Amazon. It might be in the fab stores in your area but not mine, I hate Walmart safaris so I didn’t try there. Amazon had it here in two days.

Wanted to share that when searching online do not search for "Velcro Adhesive"  Instead, use the search term "VELCRO Brand - Adhesive" and avoid scrolling through hundred Velcro double sided tape  products. 
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »

I got itchy to start covering today so I took the day off. I began with the stab and it was a 3 handed affair using the velcro adhesive. Plus this plane is not a real good guinea pig for a new process, so after 2 tries I went back to the glue stick, and got a pretty good result. Just hit the perimeter then go easy with the tack iron. It is a really good idea to let the glue stick set up for a hour or so, so it doesn't let go with the heat and flub the dub. I am looking at some Reno racing Spits for a color idea maybe. I am also leaning towards all orange.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: P-30 Spitfire wing questions
Re: P-30 Spitfire wing questions

The Threadkiller!
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »

Yo Crabby,

Nice effort. I've not used glue stick but the results tell. If the Velcro didn't work out you may have been too eager to get on with it. It really does need time to dry or the mylar just drags on it as you adjust your sheet. Or...it just didn't fit your style. Either way the stab looks fine.

Bill
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 172

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »

Very neat looking covering on the stab Crabby.

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 10:49:09 PM »

Hi Crabby,

Somewhere in an earlier post there is a pic of your stab, but for some reason all the curved lines just didn't register with me.  I think very intriguing work!  Also is the second pic upside down.   I didn't think you lived in Ozz..........haha............

Don
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »

Good Gravy. Well Well Well. It took three tries to get that then I flub the pic! I am gonna have to get good with velcro glue. I think I messed up by putting it on the interior structure, then when I did the shrinking it went all goofy. I felt like I didn't have enough hands when I was applying it.... anyway the glue stick was easier for me, it really does the job. Sorry guys for the upside-downer! That stab was a brain-buster to build for some reason. Like a Fokker wing... flat on the top, and tapered bottom. The wing has curved turbulator spar... all those curves make up for the boxy fuse.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:47:40 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »

Good am Bill,
No I waited till the Velcro Glue was perfectly dry. The problem was that I was using the dope technique where you fasten the perimeter, then when everything is good and tight you tack down the interior members. I was getting stress wrinkles everywhere. The first try I just figured I was being ham-fisted with the tacking iron, which I was. Second try the same only more careful. The third try was after another glue stick test, and I found out not to touch the iron to the film just barely skim the surface and that did the trick. The heat gun was way too much. But, like everything new I am on the learning curve! The thing about the glue stick is you gotta let it set up for a good hour or so, so the heat from the iron won't loosen the hold as the membrane shrinks.....whatever! Shocked Sad Angry Smiley Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: