Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2019, 08:59:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BLUEBIRD Ornithopter by birdkit.com 16 inch wingspan 1/4 ounce  (Read 744 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 08:57:14 PM »

BLUEBIRD Ornithopter 16" wingspan,  one quarter ounce   Birdkit.com

Thanks vtdiy  Smiley
     At 3:00 PM there was not a cloud in the sky (finally), solid sun, Temp was  48 deg F (feels like 43), the wind was blowing 11 mph from the South West , gusting to 16 mph , humidity  53%.   I grabbed the dog and the 16" Bluebird ornithopter, and we headed out to our little flying field - the Cricket Wicket grounds in Jackson Park, Windsor, Ontario.  I took some nice outdoor pics on the walk out. 
     I started out with two flights of thirty winds straight down wind.  They worked really good, about three sort of medium tight circles, about 7 seconds.  Then I wound the motor in the other direction, and it still flew just fine - maybe a little better - so I stuck with this and made about 15 flights, making circles as it blows downwind.   

pics 1 to 6  of  12 pics        best pic is #5                 (cont on next Reply)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BLUEBIRD Ornithopter by birdkit.com 16 inch wingspan 1/4 ounce

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »

BLUEBIRD Ornithopter 16" wingspan,  one quarter ounce   Birdkit.com
(cont from last Reply)

I did mostly 50 winds, but I did try a 60 and a 70 wind flight.  The farthest distance it flew was 45 yards and the longest time was about 16 seconds.  Every landing was super soft, as it just glides so perfectly, like a pigeon with its wings held up in a  "V"  shape, and always seems to have turned into the wind for the landing.   The crank wire can really auger into the base of the grass stems on landing, if there is the slightest number of turns left on the motor - I mean stuck - you can't just pull it out!
     Actually launching this bird was pretty hairy !!    Initial power burst sends it up in fast medium tight circles right over your head,  after which they widen out, circling and drifting with the wind downwind.   Nathan Chronister pretty much guaranteed that they fly, and he was right.
      After those 15 flights and 19  pics later, I decided not to get too greedy and wreck it the first day.   It was nice to see it flapping and gliding around.   This is a really good starter kit.

pics 7 to 12  of 12 pics             best pic is pic #9 (third one)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 172

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 12:10:01 AM »

Sounds like you had a lot of fun Richard. I think I would be thinking about a stooge to wind your motor off the model. All you need basically are 2 hooks on a base , spaced around the length of your motor stick. You will need small O rings or similar on the rubber motor and when the motor is fully wound you transfer the rubber from the winder to the rear hook on the model while holding it stationary at the front. Then remove the front of the motor from the hook on the base and carefully place it on the front hook. Just take your time and it will work ok. This is basically how I wound my EZE B many years ago. The hook on the base was the front of a torque meter.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 01:02:16 PM »

Hi John.  After winding, as soon as you let go of that front crank wire, immediately,  the wings beat and the strut assembly wobbles wildly, causing the wings to beat down on your fingers that are holding the strut assembly ...  it is best just to let it all go at once, I think ...

BLUEBIRD Ornithopter 16" wingspan,  one quarter ounce   Birdkit.com

Well, we went flying again today at 11:45 AM -  Temp was 39 deg F (feels like 39),  81 % humidity, and  the web said 7 mph gusting to 11 mph,  but it turned out to be more than that, and the Detroit radio station said it was getting "breezy" ...
      I got in about 10 flights.   The rubber was weak, and I did not get too much figured out with a Gurney Strip I glued on, as it was getting more windy.   BUT,  I did get a few more good pics - the BLUEBIRD Ornithopter is now safe at home ...

six pics  1243  1247  1248  1250  1251  1253

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

rdw777
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 06:51:30 AM »

Good job Richard! Looks great in the air! Keep working with it for longer flights, Thanks for sharing,

Robert
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: