Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 25, 2019, 12:06:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: High aspect-ratio A6's  (Read 853 times)
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »

The 1/16" heat shrink tubing works nice and you can get it anywhere. Part I like is that it buts up against the hook and slightly covers it, keeps the rubber nice and centered, as the picture shows.

Yes, cocktail straws are also good, I bought a box of 1000 online for $5, pic below (multiple lifetime supply, I'd be happy to bring a few dozen to a contest if you want some!). These are the same as what you show, they go completely over the O-ring and hook, as in your picture, you can also do it without the O-ring if you like, pic below.

Either way you've got a nice stabilized front hookup that probably won't ever tangle in the air. A rear tangle will shorten your flight but a front tangle will stop it.
raggedflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »

I’ve achieved good results using a short length (7 - 10mm) of very thin wall silicone tube which also pushes over and confirms readily to the hook shape.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »

The 1/16" heat shrink tubing works nice and you can get it anywhere. Part I like is that it buts up against the hook and slightly covers it, keeps the rubber nice and centered, as the picture shows.

Yes, cocktail straws are also good, I bought a box of 1000 online for $5, pic below (multiple lifetime supply, I'd be happy to bring a few dozen to a contest if you want some!). These are the same as what you show, they go completely over the O-ring and hook, as in your picture, you can also do it without the O-ring if you like, pic below.

Either way you've got a nice stabilized front hookup that probably won't ever tangle in the air. A rear tangle will shorten your flight but a front tangle will stop it.

Most definitely, I learned that one the hard way - of course it falls off (without sleeve) on the flight that's your longest so far, which just 'dethermalizes' it right down! sleeve solves that problem.

Might as well make a few comments on the F1L prop testing this week. I made a Leo blade and set the pitch to 25p, did pretty thorough testing this time and put up 7 flights with it. Did OK, but the conclusion is the same as before - it requires heavier rubber to get it up there, and I really had to go to a much higher torque to get it up 28 feet! The part I didn't like was that, with the lower pitch, the RPM was higher, it was around 105 for most flights, whereas my other prop was down to 85. So the curvature might be too much for props with all the area in front of the spar, and lower pitch doesn't appear to solve the problem, as Olbill also found. But this may not be the case for symmetrical blades, given that Leo gets great times. In any case, I'm going back to the regular blade set at 26p and am just trying to make another prop that's as good as my first one, might take a few tries! Would be nice to start focusing more on the flying instead of testing new props every week!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: