Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 20, 2019, 01:45:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Building a symmetrical-section wing  (Read 151 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »

Experts, is there a smart way of building a Peacemaker-type wing? Pin down the spar and jig up the TE? Pin down the TE and have the ribs waving about? Or cut it all in half, build two flat-section wings and glue together?!
Bill
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »

Don't know what is a Peacemaker.

If only building one of a type I like the pin down the spar and use  thick pieces of balsa to shim the chord  level after marking the chord center line.

I don't like the split in half method as it introduces a joint with its glue weight and potential joint weakness. It also has the same issues with finding the true center line. (In short it gains me nothing).

If building  more than one, I often cut a foam bed  on which to build the wooden wing.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

The Peacemaker build article implies that it is not pinned down at all but just built "in hand". I would at least pin down the lower TE when glueing that, add the upper TE, and possibly do the same for the LE but that would put the ribs well up in the air. I can't remember what I did when I built mine but that was along time ago!!!!!!
Ron
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:12:26 AM »

Thanks Ron. I'm doing the similar Firebird (as you know) and yes, I think pinning down the TE first is best and a wide piece of 1/2" to prop up the fronts of the ribs, then the top spar, then flip it over. Sorted!
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=9736

I see George Aldrich didn’t put his name on the plans.

This is real helpful, NOT!!!
"Assemble components in your own favorite manner (on your knee, workbench, or dinning table but keep structure straight , square & warp free).”

With that wing I’d pin the TE down (I actually use light contact spray and build on glass). I’d then slide the ribs on the “Main Spar” (assembly aid) so that the assembly looks like a fish bone. Shim the main spar so that the TE sheet is flat. Align over the plan.  Tack glue the ribs to the TE sheet. Pin one of the LE sheets to the front of the ribs. Make sure all looks aligned. Solidly glue the ribs to the main spar. Glue the ribs to the TE. Install second TE sheet keeping good pressure on the very back of the TE.  Glue top cap to main spar.  Unpin LE bevel LE part line. Apply glue and reinstall LE. When dry flip wing over. Shim again so TE is flat on table. Glue remainder bottom cap to main spar. Prep second LE sheet part line and glue in place.

Then sand away what doesn’t look like a wing.  Roll Eyes

All the best,
Konrad
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:49:34 PM by Konrad » Logged

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:26:44 PM »

While this was written for rubber scale, this might be helpful and worked for me:
http://www.flyingacesclub.com/PFFT/AirfoilSymmetricalDefense.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: