Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 10:00:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P.A.W. 149 R/C A/C  (Read 168 times)
whiskers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »

I was about to post this in Free Flight Power but realised it's an R/C engine. Anyhow, I have just acquired this motor which appears to have had little use. It was only slightly stiff to turn over but I warmed it up and put some fuel through it and it freed off lovely. I had real difficulty in getting a pop out of it then I noticed that the silencer gaskets were brittle with age so I whipped off the silencer and lo, that was gummed-up solid! I re-assembled it minus the offending silencer, which I shall now clean up. The motor now starts and sings lovely, really sweet.

I have never had an R/C diesel before but the idle/tick-over seems very high to me even though it throttles up and down cleanly. There is a little screw with a spring under it on top of the carb...is that a tick-over adjuster? If not, how else can I get the tick-over down?

Is it worth getting some silencer gaskets form P.A.W.? I'm tempted just run it without...I suspect that it will run better without the muffler?

Also, can anybody tell me what the A/C designation on the box means? I get the R/C bit but can not for the life of me work out what A/C would stand for, not that it matters but I'm just like that...I like to know.
Alan Gorham
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:59:11 AM »

A/C == air cooled.

Does your throttle barrel close completely? If it doesn't then you will not have a chance of the lowest possible idle.

Your assumption about the spring loaded screw is correct, backing off this screw allows the throttle barrel to close further - just make sure you don't overdo it and lose the screw as you might find the throttle barrel then falls out!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »

Diesels generally throttle less-well than glows and can be slow to pick up. Nevertheless, PAW list the useful range of their latest 09 as 3000 - 17000
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »

Thanks for that guys. I'll have a play with the settings. A/C...Doh!!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:22 AM »

Hi Wiskers.   A/C can mean just about anything ...  air conditioning, air craft  etc etc   Huh

Is this the diesel engine you guys are talking about?

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: P.A.W. 149 R/C A/C

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
whiskers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 06:20:04 AM »

Similar. It's the 149 R/C with the R/C carb...just like the one shown in the first picture on the instruction sheet.

Just been playing with it and it's crackling away lovely. Goes like a scalded cat on full bore! Really easy to start too. I've got the "idle" down to a decent level - thanks for the help fellas.
 Grin
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »

For RC glow, I like to back the idle stop all the way off, so the carb will close completely.  Then I set up the linkage and transmitter so that with some throttle trim it idles nicely, and with throttle trim pulled back it shuts off.  Those of you with fancy computer radios should find that there's a "kill switch" feature that lets you leave the throttle trim as-is and pull the throttle back by pushing one of the many buttons on the transmitter.

I assume it works just as well for diesel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: