Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 14, 2018, 02:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who has the messiest workbench?  (Read 17825 times)
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »

I meant to get a picture earlier when it was even messier than this!  I realized I had 3 projects going at the same time and needed to focus on one at a time.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Who has the messiest workbench?
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »

Gee Dan, that's a real disaster area! Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 275

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »

That's not a disaster area!  Much tidier than mine.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »

Most modelling sites I have joined over the years seem to have a messiest workbench topic.  So it gets a little tedious? So how about the tidiest workbench.  For myself yes the bench does get untidy now and again but I regularly have a tidy up as the untidiness irritates me.  Anybody else have this pious frame of mind?
Not so much piety as necessity.  I build on the dining room table; yes, yes on a building board on the table do I look suicidal? Smiley which means I have to set up and tear down for each session which rather enforces tidiness.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2018, 03:12:44 AM »

Sorry Dan - not acceptable as a mess Cheesy Too much clear space on the workbench. The models are not on top of each other and you can easily find the tools.

Boo Roll Eyes

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2018, 04:22:17 AM »

Yes by my standards (see above) that is acceptable.  I think Lurk the dining room table is quite a nice environment.  As a kid I used the kitchen table as there was simply nowhere else. When we moved I had my own bedroom which was better and maybe that is where my  urge for tidiness stems.  Case of having to!

I found the setting up and dismantling the “workshop” a bit tedious so admire your commitment as you do produce a steady flow.  But some of the best modellers I have known have produced superb models with a very basis “work station” - one using a card table at the fireside. So fully furnished purpose built mini hangers are not necessary at all.  More like an indulgence for some!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »

I used a board on the top of an old treadmill sewing machine(it folded under a nice flat top when not in use) for my first attempts at cutting my fingers Smiley

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »

Quote from: DavidJP
...the dining room table is quite a nice environment...
And very convenient for the balsa steaming err kettle.

Quote from: DavidJP
I found the setting up and dismantling the “workshop” a bit tedious...
It can be and if I have a short evening it means I won't do any building at all. However that can be a useful brake on any tendency to get overwrought about a build; especially when it isn't going as smoothly as I'd like.

Quote from: OZPAF
I used a board on the top of an old treadmill sewing...
Mum's pastry board, well it was about a yard square and flat.  I mentioned it to her recently and she doesn't remember or rather she says she doesn't remember,  so it looks like I got away with it. Smiley
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »

Sorry Dan - not acceptable as a mess Cheesy Too much clear space on the workbench. The models are not on top of each other and you can easily find the tools.

Boo Roll Eyes

John

Except for the one I had in my hand not 5 damn minutes ago!!  I admit, a few times I have called the wife out to the garage because I can't find said tool. and usually within a couple of minutes she's located it!!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »

Mum's pastry board,

That must have added some interesting flavours to the pastry Grin Not to mention the occasional pin Smiley
I'm afraid at that point in my building carer I would have been leaving spots of blood all over it.

John
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Sweden Sweden

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »

About a week ago they threw out some old furniture at work, among that there were a rather sturdy table, 80x180 cm (2.6'x5.9') with a steel frame and a couple of cabinets. Of course I put it all in my car and took it to my new quarters (I moved a month ago and haven't set up a worktable until now). So far the table sees a redesign project (sorta 1/10 scale Piper Cherokee 140) and isn't THAT cluttered yet. But I suspect the clutter and mess will appear as soon as I start building something, it usually does. Smiley

Brg

Pops
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2018, 12:56:40 PM »

A little off topic. My bench stays pretty neat nowadays, since the only thing I build anymore is winders, and they don't generate a lot of debris. But I finally got exasperated enough with the three four-foot twin fluorescent units over my two benches that I finally ripped them out and replaced them with LEDs. The improvement was unbelievable; 150 watts and they light up the whole 19x22 foot room. BRIGHT! That, and there'll be no more dimming and flickering and tube replacement, at least not in my lifetime. All for around $125 retail. I have auxiliary floodlamps over each bench which are now totally redundant, so they're coming off too. 

art

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »

Art,

What do you recommend? My shop is smaller and has two 2*2-ft fluorescent fixtures, but replacing tubes happens too frequently, and one flickers now when turned off. I had read enough to know that your plan is a good one, but not enough to choose. Thanks.

Fred Rash
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:29 PM »

I have a new modeling corner.  The original:

https://i.imgur.com/VYoXL5t.jpg

A new workbench built by my father in law:

https://i.imgur.com/lge04Ob.jpg
Who has the messiest workbench?
Who has the messiest workbench?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »

Fred (reply 237), just go to Home Despot or Lowes, find the lighting dept and they'll have several units in your size that should be a swapout for what you have now. In my shop, the two 4 footers go over a 7 foot workbench, and the single 4 footer goes over a small bench with a drill press and a big Stanley bench grinder that's as old as me (they don't make 'em like that anymore).

art

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: