Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 17, 2017, 04:37:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Limited Penny Plane "Big Daddy" -Build-  (Read 2820 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »

Made some further progress on this LPP this weekend, and got through the stab and onto the motor stick. I use a length of 1/4 by 3/4 strip of light wood that was rated at 5.2 lbs and shaped a motor stick that is 0.250 x .250 in the center tapering to .150 x .150 at the rear and .150 to .145 wide at the nose. It's still pretty thick for my impressions but I hope that is the way they need to be. The tail boom was created the same way and dimensioned from .150 x .150 at the front to .125w x .063 at the tail. Still these seem really big and can be adjusted I suppose. So far all components included, weight is 2.7 grams and this omits the prop, wing posts, and covering. I think I am going to be over by at least 0.5 grams when completed. Fourth image shows them aligned together. The last image is one of the front end pigtail, and this was a new technique for me learning to bend a pigtail bearing, I use .015 wire and mucked with it for better part of 45 minutes to get things so that there was no binding in the winding hook wire.. So once satisfied I glued it in place in the front and I hope it is a good connection.

Having fun in LPP land

Sundance12
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Limited Penny Plane "Big Daddy" -Build-

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water!
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

If you get this one to fly you'll have the coolest looking LPP around. Be prepared, you're gonna have to fight the girls off.

I know enough to know, I'll never know enough to know.

www.hobbyspecialties.com
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

That's the idea, I will be like the chocolate guy in the AXE commercial, except I will want to keep all my limbs. Glad you like it so far, it's is kinda striking with the curves.

grin

Sd12

Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »

I think I am going to be over by at least 0.5 grams when completed.
Sundance12

Well fun is the name of the game! If your wing and stab are at reasonable weights you can always change out the fuse for something more conventional (and lighter) if you're looking for better performance later.

Here's where the wet blanket stuff comes in. The curved fuse looks neat but it's probably a really bad idea from the standpoint of strength to weight considerations and all that other boring stuff. A straight fuse could have the same bending strength from the compression load of the motor at a much smaller cross section. Also, while motor tangles are an issue on LPP for high ceilings, they usually happen at either the rear hook (bad - the CG gets screwed up) or the prop hook (real bad - the flight ends). Having a bunch of clearance in the middle is not going to be of much benefit. But that doesn't take into consideration the oooh's and ahhhh's!

A serious consideration - LPP's don't really like tail heaviness. I'd try to keep the CG (with motor) around 1 1/2" to 2" ahead of the TE. You won't really know where you are on this until you have a prop made.
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »

Bill has a point. Your pigtail bearing looks OK, but make sure the rear hook has a bit of length to it. You can reinforce it with a small triangle of balsa if necessary.

I know enough to know, I'll never know enough to know.

www.hobbyspecialties.com
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »

Bill, I had thought of my curved motor stick approach could be less optimal as well and figured that once the fun was over and I complete this build, I could build a conventional fuselage but all things considered I would go ahead and build something else to take my skills beyond. For now the "curvy thing" has captivated my interest. I needed a direction to head and this was it, I agree that the tail weight may be a concern and may re-think the dimensions of this tail boom a bit. I am a bit of a romantic and the straight stuff just does not grab me... The issues on CG I had not given any consideration for and I usually do in a build.

Alan, thanks for the rating on the bearing, I will make the rear hook as you suggest, and for what it's worth, your mini slick design was one of the many that kept me interested out of all the ministicks that I looked at. Making this LPP in the style of your MS is the hook for me. It has provided enough motivation to make me take on this discipline and begin something.

My problem with model aviation and many other things in life is that I lack focus and start too many projects without following through. Ratz keeps me aware of this fact from time to time. For now, as winter begins in these parts, I wanted something fresh to take to the indoor site than the usual embryo thingy and needed to get a real chance to try the lighter flying machines. I am very far away from higher quality/performance and will try to stay in the LPP category and try the Ministicks as well. The help from you and Bill is important to get me going and I will consider this plane a success if it even climbs.

I am working in very new territory for me.

Curved in Manitoba

Bruce F.

Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

No worries Bruce. And I think it will fly just fine.
vtchucker
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »

:)so, did it fly? did you get the girls? I need to know.
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 01:08:18 AM »

Bruce (Sundance),

I hope you take the time to finish this very handsome model.  I would love to see pictures of the finished model.

I think taking the shape of Alan's ministick was a great idea.  I did not realize it when I first saw Alan's ministick, but over time, its lines and shape have shown themselves to be very pleasing to the eye.

Kudos to Alan.  And more kudos to you when you finish the model  Smiley

-Kang
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: