Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 20, 2019, 01:51:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peck Bostonian  (Read 955 times)
ibcleary

« on: November 24, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »

Started a Peck Bostonian and seems to be going well. I seem to have developed a small warp in the fuselage. A degree or two down left at wing and a degree or two down right at stab. I have the Rubber Powered Model Airplanes and Flying Models books. These helped me piece together how to trim up my Skybunny. I am hesitant to try my hand at steaming it out, I'm thinking of shimming the stab once all is said and done. Is this advised? Having great fun so far.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peck Bostonian
Peck Bostonian
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:24:54 PM »

How are you measuring this? If you're sitting the fuse on a flat, hard surface and the wing (or better yet, a straight edge) is really tilted by two degrees, that's not a warp -- that's a problem with having built the fuselage sides to different heights. Note that two degrees tilt on the wing means that the difference in height of your wingtips (or a 16" straight edge) from the board will be 9/16". Is that really what you're seeing? If it's really that much, then your fuselage sides are about 1/20" different in height at the wing.

On the down side, I don't know how to fully correct a problem like this short of completely rebuilding the fuselage. But on the up side I don't think that a twisted fuselage is going to have a great aerodynamic effect on the flying qualities of the thing, as long as the flying surfaces are all aligned correctly with one another. Personally, I'd shim the stab to match the wing. I might shim the wing; that's a judgment call on your part -- you need to juggle sloth, weight, and a desire to have the fuselage sides square with the wing.

Then work at building the next one straighter -- I stopped out of modeling for nearly ten years and have only been getting back into it slowly since then. I don't think I managed to build a single straight fuselage in my youth. Since getting back to it, I have discovered the power of having multiple builder's triangles, and having great big honking (compared to a rubber model) blocks of brass with nice square edges. I block up the fuselage sides at the wings so their square with the building board, then I fiddle with the rear post until it's even and square with the board. Then if I'm using CA I hold my breath and glue. If I'm using Ambroid I take things apart as little as possible, apply glue, and fiddle things into place again. Trying to do all this in the air just about guarantees some twist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: