Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 20, 2019, 01:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boston Speedster - build-  (Read 3707 times)
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

Casting around for a new Bostonian design I came across this little cutie in the free plans section Grin

No-one else had a go at it? Why not? Undecided
I've got a bit of a soft spot for the scalish lines of some Bostonian designs of which this is typical - it kind of looks like a caricature of the original and despite the curved windscreen/cabin (which is usually enough to put me off a model) I decided to break out the wood so I would have a companion for my Canuck the next time I visit Totton (near Southampton for those interested in paying a visit)

It also gives me an excuse to use some of the lovely wood I got off Alan Cohen (not much call for light 16th sq. on my usual duration models)

Nothing complicated apparant on the plan and a quick pm to DaveC (designer and he of the nifty dime scale kits) confirmed the CofG @ 1/3 chord so onwards and upwards...

Printed the plan in sections and then using my cork tile board rather than the mag. one for a change I started laying sticks. Thinned Elmers for this one - I squirt a bit into a small pot and apply with a brush after adding a smidge of water to get it flowing a bit easier.

For the laminations I tried something different to usual (following the Duco man's suggestion). Soaked the wood and rather than apply glue and wrap I laid the pieces up and allowed to dry then glued them afterwards - seemed to get less 'dry spots' this way, but it does take a wee bit longer; unless you let 'em dry then zap 'em with a bit of thin cyano that is! Wink

More pics later...

Cheers
Paul
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Boston Speedster - build-
Boston Speedster - build-

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »

Right having got a set of laminations done we could make the tailfeathers. (Is it just me or do other folks have particular favourite sequences when it comes to builds - I always like to get the fin and tail done first) Roll Eyes

Anyway here they are awaiting sanding. I added an extra gusset at the bottom of the fin because it wasn't a very smooth curve and I couldn't be bothered making another lamination. (It's taken a while but I have eventually realised that you need to pull the laminations quite hard as you wrap them round the form which will stop those annoying little steps in the curve)

Having made a pair of sides I started popping in the cross pieces, making sure everything remains square with the famous marble blocks Wink

Finally I laid the wing down. The shape of the wing rib meant the leading edge needed lifting up slightly - easily done with scraps of balsa. I also made the trailing edge a bit bigger (both thicker and wider) than shown on the plan so that I could notch in the ends of the ribs - gives a slightly stronger joint IMO. The tips are cut in at an angle rather than butted for the same reason. Before adding the spars I'll remove the wing sand it down and then set the dihedral and finally fit the spars last of all.

Toodle pip
Paul
Re: Boston Speedster - build-

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »

Good to see you getting hooked on Bostonians Paul - nice work as usual.

I've got a few 'living in my head', but have not made a new one for a while now - I wanted to do a Bostonian version of Bill Brown's Polly for this Impington (March 14th) but I have not had chance. I need to get some of this new 'special' Supersport too - don't suppose you know if Flitehook have had some in? (I should ring then really I suppose - but I usually get my stuff of them 'in the field')
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »

Hi Russ, and thanks,

Bostonians are a nice size model for indoors and perform well enough for me (much longer than a minute or so and I'm reaching for the binoculars... Cheesy) I like the fact that using ordinary wood you can easily meet the weight limit and you can have fun playing with some 'scale' details where it doesn't have to be exactly right - nice and relaxed. Cool

The last box of rubber (1/8) I got from John was dated 23-6-09 which I picked up towards the end of last year - a big improvement on the stuff I was using. If the newer stuff is even better then bring it on...

Cheers
Paul

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »

Bit more progress today (although most free time was taken up with admin tasks for the Stonehenge Cup) Sad

Anyway the wing is almost done. No dihedral shown on the drawing - I decided 1" per side looked about right and went with that.

Added a few gussets at the dihedral joint and have still to add the strip for the wing struts... Presently 1.9gms

With the stringers on the fuz. I decided to wing it rather than cut the formers as shown so added some strips and notched them in situ where required. Cheesy

Need a few more around the nose and I added a few gussets (there's a surprise) to make it a little easier to hold when fiddling with it. 2.4gms at the moment

Hopefully be able to spend a bit more time over the next couple of days to get the bones finished Wink

Cheery pip
Paul

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »

I've only managed to get one Bostonian bang on weight - you must be a lighter builder than me! Saying that, most of mine have been semi scale jobs.

You have a box of the 'special stuff' then! - I'd better get an order in before it's all snapped up.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »

It's all them scale shapes Russ that add to the advois dupois... I'm looking at the spats at the moment and wondering... Undecided

Didn't get as much done as expected, but most of the bones be done. Need to sort out the nose next and decide what happens with the covering at the top of the fuz where it meets the wing.

I've made a 32nd sheet box that interrupts the bottom stringers. This more to make covering a bit easier, but will mean the UC is removable so should mean a smaller box Cheesy

Weight is 5.8gms so far with all the heavy bits still to come...

Former member of obsessive weight watchers anon.
Paul

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »

Righty - made a bit more progress on the 'heavy' bits

Wheels and spats ready for assembly and sanding (a LOT of sanding - this little lot weighs 2 1/4 gms) :'(

The nose block is faced with 64th ply and I used cocktail sticks as locators rather than my usual box of 1/16th sheet - works well and is very easy to set up by drilling the two face plates before gluing into position. Makes life a lot easier on small models Smiley I've also added a bit of 16th sheet either side of the nose to give something to hold onto when removing the nose block. A small scrap of 64th ply is fitted to the rear peg holes on the inside although it's not visible here.

I've used another of the adjustable nose bearings by KP and hopefully you can see how it works in the last photo. The pieces are moulded in a nylon which is very smooth. The central part has a hole which is a nice fit for a peck wire (although the end will need bending into a more 'useful' shape to stop the rubber playing skipping ropes inside the model) This is a snap fit in the holder and the end is secured with two bushed nuts that are drilled excentrically so that rotating one against the other you can alter the angle of the prop wire without shimming the noseblock. I used one on my other Bostonian and whilst it took a bit of fiddling to get things right it is very neat.

Excentrically
Paul

Dave C

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:51:31 AM »

Looks great and can't wait to see it covered. The scale drawings I have say overall light blue with orange trim for colors.

Dave
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

Thanks Dave

It's been a fun build and it definitely has something about... Smiley

My good lady wife approves - apparantly it is officially cute! Cool

Not much time over the weekend (preparing then flying for the club in an 'area do') I did however manage to sand the spats down and shed a gram in the process which was pleasing. I'm glad I made them... they definitely add to the charisma factor.

I quite fancy the orange/blue scheme, but I keep looking at it and thinking yellow with green trim would work - it'll depend what tissue comes to hand first I suspect. Undecided Wink

Windswept
Paul

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

Yellow with green trim was a standard scheme for the Rearwin "Speedster" ('course they used those funny color names).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

Cheers Pete - that'll probably be where it had stuck in my mind Wink

Scanning t'internet produced lots of piccies and I eventually settled on this one. I also decided to use some 'domestic' tissue rather than Esaki. Hopefully that won't prove a mistake... Roll Eyes

I'm not sure of the brand of this stuff. I've got a roll of odd colours and makes that I've acquired over the years before switching to Esaki for everything. I think this is SAMS indoor models own stuff, but it could be Peck. I've got a few sheets in different colours including this lemony yellow and a bright green for the trim.

The tissue has a slight sheen on one side so I used this outwards. It doesn't have much wet strength though so it's dry application with a UHU gluestick and a steam shrink...
For the spats I was able to do it in a couple of pieces: By applying gluestick to the tissue before stretching it round - the glue holding the tissue fibres together enough.

Although I made a print file I'll probably only use the name on the fin, the rest will be cut out and stuck on later.

I also added a couple of diagonals from the rear peg... it just felt like it needed them (almost certainly not, but then I'm a belt and braces kind of guy) Wink

Domesticatedly
Paul

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »

Where did you find that pic? I could have used it when I did my p'nut Speedster. All I've been able to turn up are B&W photos, and I know that there are still a couple still flying. I'm also re-doing my 1/4 scaler so color shots would be nice - also for the instruments.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »

The picture came up in an images search for 'rearwin speedster' Pete

Came from a site called airliners.net (which has a lot of high quality images on board) Sorry no instrument panel Sad

I can send you the link for the pic. if you can't find it

Cheers
Paul

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

Thanks Paul,

I figured that it was in the airliners.net. Seems THE site for just about everything aeronautic.

Thanks

A Dedicated Convert to:

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »

More progress with the covering...

Steam shrunk and one thin coat of Banana Oil.

What did surprise me was how much weight the tissue has added; we're now looking at a finished weight @16gms Tongue Interestingly the coat of Banana Oil on the wing only took the weight from 3.42gms to 3.48gms so not a lot of it there. I could shave some of that by using a carved prop rather than plastic and making the spats/wheels in blue foam rather than wood. There's also a lot of wood in the nose area that will go if the CofG is too far forward so all is not lost.

On the plus side the colours are bright and it went on easily enough. Tissue trim is held in place then a slap of BO holds it in position.

Lines are black Esaki cut into strip then glued with UHU stick and laid in place (overlength) Trimmed by holding a single edged razor blade flat on the tissue and pulling the excess stripe back over the edge of the blade - easy Smiley

Toodlepip
Paul

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »

Paul,

I think 16g is still good for a semi-scale Bostonian - I'm sure it will be a great performer.

For some reason I still have never used banana oil - Richard Granger at the Nottingham meets always uses it to great effect and every time I see one of his models I remind myself to try it.
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 12:30:46 AM »

Looks great..........
skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

That is a cute little thing. What exactly is banana oil?
albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »

DaddyO the Boston Speedster was intended to be flown as a 14 gm Bostonian so your weight is reasonable. Don't worry about it as it will fly fine, I have won local Embryo contests with 14 gm Bostonians, outdoors of course.

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »

Cheers guys - I'm not overly worried about the weight since it's unlikely to ever see a competition and as Al suggests it'll still fly round Roll Eyes

Re: Banana Oil... I'm not entirely sure that the current formulation is the same as in ye olden days which you sometimes read about. I use the HMG brand that comes in the small glass jars for several reasons -
I prefer the smell (less pervasive in the house... )
It doesn't seem has harsh a shrinking effect as dope, just seals the pores in the tissue.
It is thinner as supplied and can be used straight from the jar (You can just about get away with not cleaning the brush afterwards without it drying hard afterwards)
I remember Bananarama Grin

(Okay so I made the last one up and it will only make sense to UK men of a certain vintage... ) Wink

Paul

julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »

DaddyO

Thanks for another illustrative build. Always a pleasure to follow them. I enjoy the way you "move" through the build and how you express in words (and share with us) your dynamic thinking.

Cute little model. Nice colors and details!

Buying a small bottle of Banana Oil this week... just a Bananarama thing...

Julio

I think I will stay a novice forever.
Dave C

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »

Me likey, looks great. Grin
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »

Glad to hear you likey Dave Grin

Here's how she sits at the moment. Weight is 16.5gms, but the CofG is well forward so a light prop and a bit of nose carving is the order of the day. (I'm also tempted to remove the top 3/4 of each wheel and glue on the bottom 1/4 - after all who will know?) Wink

Made a bit of a hash of the wing fitting, but doesn't look too bad after some tweaking and muttering. I realise it would have been easier to do the windows first, but I wanted to get the wing sorted first to see what she looks like. Roll Eyes (Any brickswingers out there might recall a similar looking model called a Coon Dog; although I think that was a biplane)

Need to sort out the windows next and will probably use the purple ( Shocked) stuff that is sitting by the workbench.It sounds quite dramatic, but I've got about 5m of it and it's nice and thin!

Meant to say earlier in this thread I made the slot for the tailplane a bit deeper than shown on the drawing to allow some shimming when it comes to trimming. At the moment the tail is just glued at the trailing edge and is free to move up and down (must remember to fix the leading edge before flying) Wink

Paul

rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »

What a cool plane! Let us know how it flies.
Put it on my to do list which is already quite long Undecided

Best Regards Roman
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: