Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2018, 05:13:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winders, winding stooge, torque meters, winding methods  (Read 32579 times)
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: October 29, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »

Second step taken in converting a hand drill into a winder.  I cannot determine exactly how they attached the plastic handle to the drill frame so I'm leaving it in place and using it for now. At some point if I find the right size aluminum straps I will cut the plastic handle off and fabricate a handle similar to the one shown by calgoddard.

For now I have drilled through and inserted a 5/8" dowel, then locked the dowel in place with a #6 wood screw. This should be sufficient since I don't expect to be winding any 1/4" multi strand monster motors! Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Winders, winding stooge, torque meters, winding methods
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: October 29, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »

Dan, if you dont know how the handle is fixed, drill a 2mm hole through handle (metal sleeve) and drill body and insert a piece of 2mm wire. See the foto with the arrow.
These drills are build to be in compression between drill body and handle during use. Instead you/we use them in traction. So the handle could eventually slip off with a damaged model as a result.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: October 29, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »

You mean like this? Smiley  Good idea, Thank You.

A couple wraps of electrical tape will protect tender digits from the ends of the evil wire!! Roll Eyes

I figure it will show signs of loosening before it lets go, at which point I stop using it until I make the replacement handle. Currently the biggest motor I'll be winding is 4 17" strandsof 3/32"
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

Well, could be done more pulite  Wink
Maybe with two self tapping screws with round heads Huh

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »

My first "real" winder was a cheap Stanley hand drill with wooden handle that threaded into the main body.  Had only one pinion as well.  Handle shaped like a broomstick.  Came apart on the first decent motor, 4 loops of 1/4 inch.  Model not damaged.  Spent the next 2 weeks lurking around flea markets and garage sales to find a drill with two pinions and a decent metal frame.  Made a proper handle but had to pin the whole thing together as the stretching force caused the main shaft to disengage from the pinions.

Went to a much bigger drill.  It was last used by my grandson to wind his P30.  He was quite small for his age so I made a strap out of an old pistol belt attached to the handle.  He would climb into the harness and lean back.  Did pretty well watching the torque meter while winding.  Had some long flights with that one.  Still have the winder but now use a proper Sidewinder.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »

The drill that I converted also has only one pinion and a screw on handle.  The pinion on mine was pinned to the shaft.  I also made up a winding gizmo in lieu of the chuck, that is also pinned to the shaft.  Has no problems with 25-30gram SENATOR motors, but I haven't had a chance to try it on a Coupe or F1b motor yet.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: