Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2017, 08:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hanno Prettner Calypso BUILD  (Read 7052 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: April 14, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »

I have been interested in pattern for some time and needed a plane that would introduce me to the real world of pattern. I accepted this kit because it was partially built and hoped that it could get me towards my goal faster than a scratch built project like the Super Lucky Fly II is. So I got a kit from a purchase off Ebay and began to review the plans and materials to get this design into the air. I must say that this project has been as big a job as any full project going because of the additional requirements needed like Tuned Pipe and Retractable Gear.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Hanno Prettner Calypso BUILD

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »

The kit comes looking complete with good quality construction throughout, I felt at the time that this was going to go together fast. I now have a year invested into the project and I am still not complete. The big adjustments for me are the large engine with the tuned pipe and the retractable gear. The last picture is where I am currently with the project so this build will catch up to that point with pictures and handiwork.
Re: Hanno Prettner Calypso BUILD

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »

To begin, I needed to understand how my engine was goint to fit and the issues I was going to have getting it in the plane. It is a YS 60 rear exhaust and has a tuned pipe. system. I installed a spinner back plate as a reference and I obtained the proper engine mount to help get things all lined up. I temporarily attached the engine to the mount and set iton the firewall to see where I needed to make the marks for the mounting holes and understand how I would need to modify the firewall to allow for passage of the header for the rear exhaust.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »

The next task was to find the center of the firewall and how it related to the center of the cowling and the center of the spinner. So I began a series of trials to see how things all lined up and where center really was. After alot of fiddling, marking and testing I got things all lined up with the firewall, engine mount, cowling and spinner back plate. This was a big step in gettng me feeling better that I was on the right track.

The problem with this engine and pipe set up is that I needed to route the pipe header down the center of the fuselage and this particular header is off set to allow for retractable nose wheels. I am not using a nose wheel and so I have to mount the engine angled a bit to allow for the centering of the header and pipe.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 08:53:19 AM »

Next step was to mark and drill the holes for the engine mount according to the alignment tests. Second was to locate and drill the holes for the engine in the engine mount. In order for the pipe header to fit into the fuselage I had to cut a section of the fire wall out at the bottom to allow for the passage of the header. I also test fit the firewall into the fuselage to see how all these things lined up.

To install the fire wall, two firewall support pieces needed to be installed behind the firewall. I test fit these plywood pieces and marked them left and right. Once I was satisfied that the support pieces had cured I glued in the firewall and let it cure.

Behind the firewall header port opening I installed a piece of balsa to close the opening into the tank bay and then formed the header opening with a bit of carving.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »

This is how the engine and pipe setup will go in this airplane. I made another test fit of the engine and pipe in the fusealge to see what issues I was going to have along the way further down the build.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

The kit provided a sheet of fiberglass that was made to form the bottom of the pipe channel in the lower nose section just ahead of the wing. I fiddled with this installation for quite a while until I was happy with it's placement and alignment. Once all firm and glued in place, I formed the front end of the channel tray to conform with the header opening at the firewall then test fit the engine again for completeness.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »

Next task was to sort out the placement and installation of supports for servos. I really am not pleased with the way I did this procedure and I am going to remove all that I did in a bit and install the servo supports again. In this inital procedure I just made some hardwood bearers and glued them in place in the wing cutout with Gorillia Glue but this really sucks.

The last picture is how they should really look when properly completed.

zeuglodon

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:31:46 AM »

Did you ever finish this plane? I built one a year ago also. Mine has a YS 60 side exhaust with a pipe. I'd heard they land kind of hot so I was a bit apprehensive and put off the maiden until I honed my landing skills a bit. Finally flew it yesterday. As advertised...flew like it was on rails. My club has 1 quarter mile paved runway so a long landing approach turned out to be not much of an issue.

I found a few things with the gear that need tweaked, but generally I'm thrilled - my new favorite plane.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »

Hi zeuglodon

I am finally in the process of getting this plane completed, the installation of the gear was very new for me and I spent way too long trying to get it installed. I will have some images for it shortly.

I like your Calypso Colors.

Cheers
Bruce F.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »

I am having a tougher time installing the retract servo because of the limited space due to the pipe channel that is in the bottom of the wing. I have to install the retract servo in a different way than what's in the manual, but I will figure this thing out. Pictures to follow.

James Lee

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »

I'm looking for Caplypso Plan last few years. Can I borrow or buy If you still keep it.
James, over 40 years in model building.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »

Hi James

There was no plan that came with my kit, just an instruction booklet. It's almost usless to build a plane from, but I will scan it and email it to you in a PDF. You may get a little use out of it.

The Modeltech people made this plane an arf, and it's far from arf. Plenty of work to do to make it go. I have dragged my feet on this plane for a long time. I guess the Gear installation procedure sandbagged me for a while, got through that. Now it's simple stuff like wing hold downs. I really have no excuse other than life is getting in the way.

Cheers

Bruce F.

BEAR
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »

Wow  Hano Perttner thats a blast from the past I saw him fly at shows in the UK a few times

If you cant take a joke dont do free flight.
Builder

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

Hi,

I also like the way the classical pattern planes fly. I know that plans for some of them are still available.
But: does anybody know where to buy a kit (a modern version) of any of that famose planes from 70ยด?

Builder
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »

I think Dick Hanson is still actively providing pattern planes and may still have patterns or even a few "short kits"  of the older models that he made.  Eric Henderson (eric.henderson AT comcast DOT net) is another who provided kits.  I believe both are affiliated with the AMA as District reps or VP's.

Eric was VP of the NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics back in '06 - www.nsrca.org), and THAT group would be the one to ask.  You could also give Central Hobbies a buzz at www.centralhobbies.com (THE pattern flyers store).

I'm not sure if the email addys are current, but the web addys are.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
decca
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »

Very nice model that you have built.I had the AVIOMODELLI version which I purchased rtf off a fellow flyer in the 90's.The model had a plastic fuse,foam wing and tail,fixed gear and powered by an O.S 60 SF pumper with hattori pipe.Nice flyer until radio failure put an end to it ! I still have the build sheet that came with this model.
Dan Ogle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »

Any updates on this build ? Grin
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »

Hi Dan

Not so far, I have not progressed it from this stage. I was distracted by other things in life but it is still a current project. At the time I was lacking the proper radio and since have acquired said radio so this spring it may be back on the building board.

Bruce

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »

I'm also keen to see this finished . Great models from the past. I believe there is now an electric version developed by Hanno of the Curare.
This classic combination has to fly Grin

John
Dan Ogle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

Well Sir,I  think we are all waiting with great anticipation for the finished product,and first flight. Looking good,looking real good. Tongue
Flugzoig
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 04:55:27 AM »

I am watching this from the side lines also - I had an Aviomodelli kit in the 80's - plastic fuselage one, which came with a drawing that would have sufficed as a plan.
I used a Rossi .60 FISE with a Rossi pipe - Man what a smooth flying plane!!
I have the same Modeltek as shown above - to be built later this year - I plan to use a .90 four stroke.
Great work so far!

If you're not prepared to lose it - don'y fly it!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: