Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 09:51:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CATAJETS: Design and Development  (Read 55698 times)
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: July 31, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »

No problem John, Smiley
Expected for a free flight glider maybe, but not so great I know. Terrible on purpose. Tongue
The entire outer panel is used for holding the wing section up at 2┬░as the outer elevon doesn't have enough yank (and is draggy).
The outer elevon would of course help with any slight pitch adjustment but would also affect the yaw trim which is sensitive.

Tony
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CATAJETS: Design and Development

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: August 07, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »

Well folks, Steven Wrigley has topped everything, and I do mean everything. At my suggestion, he drafted up the most insane Jet Cat model ever and sent me the laser files to test it out. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Caspian Sea Monster!

Yes, it flies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0ddLulmrU&t=6s
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »

Awesome!  Is it 15 bonus point on that thing (5 for canard and 10 for all the engine pods)?

Mike
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: August 07, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »

That's awesome. I smell a new potential FAC rule in the making if this one starts to win. Smiley
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: August 08, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »

Awesome!  Is it 15 bonus point on that thing (5 for canard and 10 for all the engine pods)?

Mike

I forgot about the canard. The way the rules are written, you get points for any "pods" on the aircraft, so the wingtip pontoon/stabilizer thingies also count. So 17 BP. Probably the most of any jet cat model to date.  Grin

The proposed Beriev Be-2000 would have been a close contender.

That's awesome. I smell a new potential FAC rule in the making if this one starts to win. Smiley

The bonus point rules were tweaked a couple years ago so that they are only added once. Back when they were added to each flight it made a big difference.

This model is more for cool factor than anything else, and I feel like it has achieved that goal in spades. I've got many other jet cat models that fly far better, and I don't have nearly as much fun flying them. Ironically, they were all harder to trim, too.  Undecided
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: August 08, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »

Josh,

How big is that one in your video? Span, length, aporox weight?

Don
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: August 08, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »

Its an 8" span, roughly 20" long. Didn't weigh it, but maybe 7-8g? Not flying outdoor competition actively is really liberating about not having to weigh things.  Grin Grin Grin
VictorY
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: August 09, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »

Would missle carrier tubes add more points? LOL
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »

Its an 8" span, roughly 20" long. Didn't weigh it, but maybe 7-8g? Not flying outdoor competition actively is really liberating about not having to weigh things.  Grin Grin Grin

Thanks. Was thinking of one for next year's Indoor contest in Michigan. My FAC rule comment was more along the lines of it not being considered an "airplane" in the sense that it was never meant to fly out of ground effect.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: August 13, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »

Thanks. Was thinking of one for next year's Indoor contest in Michigan. My FAC rule comment was more along the lines of it not being considered an "airplane" in the sense that it was never meant to fly out of ground effect.

A valid point, but something that could be defeated with any honest CD. The aircraft had greater than a .25:1 thrust:weight ratio at max load, so it would fairly easily fly out of ground effect, and indeed there have been comments made that the pilots had a great deal of trouble keeping the aircraft at optimal altitude--it wanted to FLY!

Also most of the Russian Ekranoplans demonstrated OGE (out of ground effect) flight, it's just that they weren't optimal in that flight regime.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: