Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 11:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sportsman 70 mph Warbird Combat (CL, of course)  (Read 985 times)
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »

MACA's message forums on their web site are equally inactive the way these are here, and I was only dropping in there a couple of times a year, so I missed Lester's Announcement there.

( http://www.maca.hobby-site.com:3535/forums/showthread.php?t=256 )

Save for the last, at the camp's site, event of the series, all of the announced contests had already passed before I found Lester's message, and he apparently doesn't visit that forum any more often than has been my own pattern. I can't get an update on anything at MACA about the subject.

Pat Johnston was (I think) originally involved as a kit supplier (and I don't have his eMail, either ), for some suitable foamies for the event, but that plan had to change, and someone in Abilene (and I imagine it is the Texas town, not the Kansas one) was apparently to step in and handle coring the wings and copying the plans. So far, I cannot get information beyond Lester's messages last winter. I do not know where those Warbird kits were supposed to come from.

Although the only time I was particularly decent as a combat pilot was roughly 40 years ago, I still enjoyed flying in an occasional contest, and was having some of that fun again 4-5 years ago in Speed Limit. I'd like to give the 2011 series of contests a try, maybe at 70 mph, my bad eye will be less of a hindrance.

If anyone here knows more than I learned from Lester's posts, I'd like an update -- particularly regarding contact information for the person in Abilene who is involved.

I'd though that my reflexes had gone away before I was even 60 years old, and I became a spectator / pit crew / official, at the circles. Later, I thought that Speed Limit might work for me, and at first it was going well, but my left eye became mostly useless for depth perception. It already was weakened by a scarred retina when a cataract began to add to the problem.

The scarring probably was the main problem; since it's not my dominant eye, when the cataract was very small, I should still have had usable depth perception. I wasn't even aware of the retina damage before the cataract, though (so for all I know, it wasn't reflexes fifteen years ago that moved me to the sidelines).

Kiwi

* Smiley *
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »

An e-mail to Bill Bishoff at Mikes hobby shop will get you the info. He showed me a set of plans that used core house cores.

http://h1070215.hobbyshopnow.com/support/listen.asp?tag=ft

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »

Thanks, I've seen Phil's page for those plans, and his catalog still lists them.

Somehow, I ignored a more direct route until it was too late. The WW2 series was to benefit a boys camp that Dee Rice is interested in, and whether I had Johnston's address or not, Dee's eMail should have been accessible somewhere on the Ringmasters Forever forum's site, and he would have been literally the "Horse's Mouth" on the situation.

However, it seems that they never transferred the forum URL to something new, not accessed through the old ringmaster plans and kits site, and between Monday and Tuesday this week, their license for the Internet name expired, so they are offline now. And if they didn't care, or just didn't know, isn't cached anywhere (although I found a cache with Dee's eMail on it).

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

Shoot! The option to edit disappears FAST in here! I wanted to take the extra "N" out of the word that should have been spelled "eMail".

Does anyone know one way or the other whether Rice's message forum about Ringmasters was intentionally allowed to drop its rights to the name of the place? Did they lose all of their volunteer help and financial support?

Neither he nor David Gresens (listed as the Webmaster) have chosen to answer in that regard, so far. I located a cache of a page of theirs from the 26th, with those two eMail addresses, on Google, and asked them what happened.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 119

Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »

Shoot! The option to edit disappears FAST in here! I wanted to take the extra "N" out of the word that should have been spelled "eMail".

Got the N for you... probably at the same time you were typing your message.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »

Al right, I am one step closer to an answer, if Pat Johnston will respond. Neither Gresen nor Rice ever have done so, not have I ever gotten a north Texas eMail for Lester. I am guessing that the Ringmaster sites were less closed-in on themselves, insular, and defensive, when starting out. When they suddenly popped back up onto the 'Net, their range of guest access points turned out to be negligible.

Pat's eMail did show up on one of the only pages a guest can view there. I've eMailed him, hoping that he is more friendly than the other two are.

Apparently, I never chose to accept their terms for membership, which probably means that right from the start, someone in charge has been paranoid. I resist the blandishments of left or Right. I am am a Moderate about everything (nearly), and when I see (again, perhaps) the sort of closed-mind that their "brotherhood" represents, I put them in with the John Birch Society and the pinko Left-Wing Liberals, both are extremes.

No wonder that their event series got so little publicity -- they really don't want outsiders entering their little contests, it would seem.

Kiwi

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »

In the past week, both Mike Gibson and Lester Haury answered my eMails, and I have more information about the foamie-winged kits, at least. They are only $30 each, and there are a dozen different fuselage / empennage outlines for the same basic wing. The question still remains about why they, or the powers that be at the Ringmaster Temple site, chose to restrict the announcement of their series to only the one (MACA) site that has general public access for visitors.

That isn't a popular message forum at all, and the number of competition combat fliers is quite limited these days, although there are a half dozen in the Houston, Texas area, where Dee Rice lives now. If the availability of such kits was wider, I wonder if CL folks outside of Texas might want kits just for fun, whether or not to actually enter any of the specific contests that are involved? I've sent Gibson's address to a modeler in Arizona who had been interested, but I've now eMailed Mike to find out if he would mind a wider range of series announcements than just that single one from Lester, at MACA's forum.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »

Today was the day for Speed Limit Combat at the CL Nats in Muncie.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »

Now that he's back from the World FAI meet, Lester found a PM I'd left for him on the MACA message forum last spring. He says that the WW2 Series wasn't supposed to be limited to only MACA members and Dee Rice's crowd of Ringmaster Forever fans. He wrote me that MACA's forum is the only place he goes that he thought would be interested in Gibson's and Rice's WW2 Series, and since he seldom writes to the Combat-L list, and never comes either here or to the RC Groups' CL forum site, he never thought of spreading the word any further.

(Incidentally, after losing the 8th or 10th attempted post on the RC Universe CL forum, just wiped out without any backup, I decided they were just too amateurish there to spend any more time on them.) I also don't write anything on Stunt Hangar, or even stop in at SSW, so those won't be included in my list when I get the fall schedule from Lester, although he says anyone who wants to can spread the word if they choose to do so.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:25:42 PM »

At least one of the fall events in the series showed up in the District VII Contest Calendar as one of the Saturday events in Houston's annual "Combat Classic", which is sharing space with Frank Williams' Columbus Day Contest. The last couple of years, there has been an 80 mph Speed Limit combat event on Saturday, and a "Fast Rules" event for F2D planes on Sunday. I don't see that second one listed this time:

The Super Slow Speed Limit WW2 event supposed to replace the regular 80 mph Speed Limit event on Saturday, with a version of F2D "Fast" the next day, perhaps, although that isn't shown on the calendar entry, only a Half-A Combat event.

Here is the District VII Contest Calendar entry for the contest, in its entirety:

TX LogNumber: 491 Category: CL

OCT 09-10--Houston. TX (AA) Columbus Controlline Contest. Site: Scobee Field. GPS Coordinates: 29.7253, -95.695 Events:
Saturday: Sport Goodyear, Foxberg ( both Dallas Rules) Super Slow Rat (.25 engine) (NCLRA Rules); Warbird Combat (Rice Rules)
Sunday: 323-326, 330 (JSO). CD: Frank Williams, 15410 Park Estates Lane, Houston, TX 77062. Phone: 281-282-2852(day) 281-488-1371(eve) E-Mail: lonestar_77062@yahoo.com

Kiwi

* Smiley *
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »

Well, for starters, it's District 8, which has three III's, not just the two I wrote above.

Elsewhere, I misspelled Pat's last name, also!

It's way too late for this one to order any of Gibson's (Johnston's) Warbird kits for $30, but particularly if you want to consider a variety of the contest for your club, or your area, here is his eMail address, and I'll add the listing of the Johnston WW2 profile foamie designs, with Pat's eMail as well.

mike( at )800nonoise.com

pjohnston( at )idahopower.com

Chance Vought F4U Corsair (129)
Curtiss P40 Warhawk (106)
Focke Wulf FW190 (114)
Grumman F4F Wildcat (105)
Grumman F6F Hellcat (108)
Grumman F8F Bearcat (108)
Hawker Hurricane (113)
Junkers Ju-87 Stuka (128)
Kawasaki Ki-61 Tony (116)
Lavochkin LA-7 (112)
Messerschmitt Me-109 (107)
Mitsubishi A6M Zero (110)
North American P51 Mustang (115)
Yakovlev Yak-9 (111)

Lester never updated me with the dates / places for any of the fall events as he'd eMailed to me that he would, so this is the only one I know about.

Kiwi

Kiwi

* Smiley *
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: