Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 29, 2017, 09:16:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 112164 times)
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: March 18, 2017, 05:57:22 PM »

« It's been a hard day's night,
And I've been working like a dog,
It's been a hard day's night,
I should be sleeping like a log. »

Wake up at 5.30, flying Coupe and E-36 till 12.00. One and half hour to find the lost Coupe walking around the swamp, but a perfect morning for flying. E-36 is going quite well, Aunty Frezz' is still suffering from a bad transition from burst to normal climb.

In the afternoon drive to the new gym and flying HLG Cat. 1. Not bad the gym, a bit low at 7m and a lot of people passing trough to reach the second gym just behind but at least an occasion to fly! The models are still ok and in trim after 15 years, but the arm and shoulder is definitely no more the same. 28" was the best without even reaching the ceiling.

Going to sleep all night  Grin

Urs
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.

Fast up-Slow down
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 37

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: March 18, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

Well some one has to do it Urs. Smiley Nice models and it certainly sounds like you made the best of the day.

John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »

Mike, I am late to respond, sorry Undecided
I am not sorry about what I have done to you Grin The "new" Texaco looks great and definitely derserved a rework. But I have to say, that I dont remember any bad fitting parts in my laser cutted kit... It went together nicely.
I still have your P-40 Kit and looking forward to build it.

Urs, looks like great free flight action. Good to see that you have some outdoor models ready. Maybe I see them next saturday?
Looking forward to it and hope for nice and calm weather.

Roman
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: April 01, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I hoiked this 16" span rubber-powered 109G off the shelf and repaired the broken-off wing it sustained last year. After a few short hops I gave it new prop blades, then a temporary rudder (bigger) to accompany the temporary tailplane - both to help with trimming 'issues'. A few flights later I gave it a 3/16" motor instead of 5/32" and coarsened the blade pitch to 40° near the tips. A few flights later I gave it some more lead in the spinner cap.

Today, with improving weather, it had its first full turns flight. That's 1200 turns on the 20" long motor and "she cannae take much moor, Captain".

The crate is heavy now with repairs and noseweight. The branch that got in the way is quite high and there were a few turns left on landing. I'll be shooting for a slightly longer duration and try to get a clearer vid and flight photos - perhaps without a transparent tailplane Smiley.

Stephen.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 120

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: April 01, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »

Those durn trees are always jumping in the way of our air-o-planes!  There oughta be an executive order prohibiting such dastardly deeds Roll Eyes!

NICE flight!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: April 01, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »

The little Me109 looked very convincing up there Stephen. Your mods certainly seemed to help and it's good to see it back in action.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: April 03, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »

Been 3 months, but I finally got in some 2017 flying, hurray! My goal this year is to spend some time doing flying comparisons with my four most outstanding oldtimers - the Sky Gull, the 1933 Lanzo Cabin, Early Stahl's Hurricane, and the Comet Pepper. Did the Sky Gull and Hurricane today, first up was the Sky Gull. Had to dust off the planes at the field, and it's been so long I was looking at them like 'do these things really fly?', maybe it was just a dream!

First two photos show the Sky Gull today, sitting on an apparent new patch of astroturf. Still looks great even though I've been flying the pants off of it, so to speak, you can also see some Dow 33 splatter on the windshield, seems unavoidable after lots of flights with full winds!

I've been using a 14 strand (1/8") motor, 22" long and getting fantastic flights, but I've been thinking of trying both a 12 strand 22" (I've gotten better climbs sometimes with fewer strands) and a 14 strand 24" motor. Some soccer and baseball people were there early when it was calmer (frustrating), so I had to wait, but I had almost a 2 hour window when they left (though windier), until a whole bunch of teams showed up and ended my day. Got in two full flights with the Sky Gull with the 12 strand motor. Conclusion: the climb just wasn't as good, even though it still did 2+ minutes (it's an amazing plane). So I think the 14 strand 24" motor is the way to go, that was the next flight. Got it fully wound, but when I attached the prop it buzzed out, I didn't know what was happening, but later saw that the superior freewheel front end aluminum piece broke. I've been using them for years for hundreds of flights and that's never happened, so it must have just been a defective piece. A cross piece got knocked out of the fuselage, trivial repair but I decided to call it a day for the Sky Gull. I'll try the 24" motor next time.

On to the Hurricane. In this case I've been using a 12 strand 22" motor, but I thought the climb looked slightly anemic so I tried a 14 strand 24" motor (same as for the Sky Gull). All I can say is WOW! Apparently the Hurricane has been waiting for this motor. It took off like a bat out of hell and roared up to 254 feet, really nice climb. Did two 2+ minute flights in a row, and it was windy. I posted some comments on my Hurricane thread and a link to a video of the second flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuWFgSi5X4

So they do fly! Always nice to get out and get a reminder of why this hobby is so much fun  Smiley  Should really finish up that latest build...

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: April 08, 2017, 03:14:34 AM »

Hi all,
               This year at Scalemasters we are going to have an Ebenezer Mass Launch as a bit of fun.

I've just finished mine, I decided on Messernezer for a name. It's powered by 2 1811 10gram brushless motors and uses a KP Aero Timer. It needed a bit of nose weight so I used a 2S500mah li-po, should be good for a few flights! The ESC's are Turnigy 6amp.

I got a chance to try it out this afternoon, though it was a bit breezy, just check out the trees in the video.  All it needed was a slight increase in power and this is it's second flight.  Glides like a true Ebenezer though, I might have to work on that.        https://youtu.be/kTVE1Z31LbM

Dave
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: April 08, 2017, 03:24:11 AM »

Here's the Photo's.
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: April 08, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

I have got to build me an Ebenezer!  That looks like good fun.  Beautiful little ship you have there.

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: April 08, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »

Good choice for an Ebenezer Dave and it seems to fly quite well.

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: April 10, 2017, 03:11:19 AM »

Thanks Fellas
                         I got a bit of stick from a mate who thought the curved wing was a bit too extravagant for an Ebenezer, but I only did that to try and prevent the wide wing warping.    It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to fly outdoors due to the council turning my flying field into a wetlands combined with unsuitable weather and other commitments.  I have a few unflown models I need to try and the "new" flying field I found looks suitable.
                                                                                                                                                                      regards Dave
slowfly55
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: April 14, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »

"Balsa is good, Paper is better"
What happened this morning. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjY0UkuOTsI

Peter

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: April 14, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »

Grin flew the hurricane in the back yard flies great i will lengthen the motor to entertain the grand kids

jim Grin
kittyfritters
Silver Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: April 14, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »

Sorry, post in wrong thread.

Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »

What a thermal flight Slowfly. You were very lucky to get it back. nice flight.

John
slowfly55
Bronze Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: April 15, 2017, 03:52:15 AM »

Many thanks OZPAF
I still cannot belief my luck, for it was a little windy, not much, but coming from all directions.

Peter
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: April 16, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »

for it was a little windy, not much, but coming from all directions.

A very good indication of thermal activity. I'm always a bit wary when I notice this.

John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: April 17, 2017, 06:18:12 AM »

Great one Peter!
Roman
slowfly55
Bronze Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »

Roman,

For me sort of RC. Hovering around well outside the boundaries of the very small flying field,the plane found the way back to me. Miraculous!

Peter
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: April 20, 2017, 01:19:41 AM »

Peter, maybe you are just magnetic for your models.

Roman
kittyfritters
Silver Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: April 27, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »

The problem I've had lately is trying to go flying.  Usually, I go to a regular Sunday morning flying session at the "Grassy Knoll" (Sepulveda Basin Recreation Area), but this winter we had rain.  Thankfully, the long California drought is over.  There were some good flying weather Sundays but social engagements and a few too late Saturday nights (At my age you don't tell your wife you have to go flying in the morning when she wants to stay up late on a Saturday night!)  interfered.  Now we have winds.  (As I type this 30 miles per hour with gusts to 50.)

Is it going to be a good flying day?  Just check the tree.  Every morning, when I go out to pick up the newspaper, (Yes, I still read the newspaper.) I look to the west and check the top of my neighbor's palm tree.  If the palm fronds are not moving it's worth driving to the Basin for some flying.  If the palm fronds are moving...Building day!

Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: