Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2017, 09:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 144688 times)
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: July 03, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »

I've taken lots of photos of Peter Smart's Beriev in the past ... but a couple more won't do any harm!

Flight judge, Laurence looks on in the first.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: July 03, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »

Great to see Derek back in the field  Smiley
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:13 PM »

Bryan Lea with his Citabria.

There was duration model activity too, but it did seem to be down in numbers to me.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: July 03, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

To finish .... the Snipe has you in it's sights!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: July 03, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »

Great photos Russ, and the Snipe is a magnificent model.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: July 03, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »

Terrific shots, Russ- thanks for taking and sharing them! You have a great photographer's eye I reckon.  
(And that first portrait of Ivan is so sharp I nearly cut my eyeballs looking at it.)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: July 03, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »

Looks like a great day.  Too far for me to go.  I have flown Coupe there a few times - landed next to the pub, over the railway line, on one occasion.   Grin

What is the Derek Knight Auster - plan or kit?  

Ralph
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:05:00 PM by RalphS » Logged
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: July 03, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

Thanks for those great flying shots Russ.

John
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: July 04, 2017, 03:54:15 AM »

What is the Derek Knight Auster - plan or kit?

I'm sure he said he originally intended it for the AM/MA designs comp, so presumably it's a plan from one or other of those sources. It's an Auster Taylorcraft V I think.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »

Grin  hi everybody I went flying with my dad, baby brudder and grandpaw this weekend twice!  it was fun  grandpaw brought a box of planes and when he or dad launched them we would chase them and carefully bring them back.  there were lots of neat flights.  afterwards we played on the swings and went down the secret bumpy trail.  we also flew a kite the day it was windy.  the planes got wrecked but grandpaw doesn't care. they served honorably, entertaining grandkids.

love jonah and kier
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »

That was fun I bet. Good on you kids - you will have to start building planes for Grand Pa soon.

John
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: July 11, 2017, 03:42:28 AM »

Here's a link to some more nice photos and a bit of a write up by Danny Fenton on another forum...

https://www.aeromodellers.co.uk/forum/modelflying-events-news/32924-dreaming-spires-port-meadow-2017

Incidentally, I'm not sure why his nicely flying, enlarged KK Piper Family Cruiser (Gasparin 300 powered) doesn't feature on the score sheet I posted.

CORRECTION: Not Danny Fenton, but Chris Brainwood. I talked to Chris at Oxford and all the time thought he was Danny. Not sure how that happened in my head. Apologies to both!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: August 05, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »

Grin  Instead of being at the Airshow at OWL's Head Maine (where i wanted to be but nor at $200 us a nite!  I held my own air show.
 Flying were the Following

Cloud Tramp  .. three x 15 sec flight on 200 turns in a stiff breeze,
easybilt avanger  got kicked around.  is too light in this breeze
swoosix   wing snapped.  time to rise from the ashes!
j mc h p40  underpowered for the breeze flew a short distance though and should be fine indoors.
X-13  got good flights . on last one went straight down  propeller stopped at former 3  time to rebuild.
miss ashley  still flies after all these years.

had fun despite the destruction.

now those of you who live in Atlantic Canada look for me at the Greenwood NS air show on aug 26.  i shall be wearing an airplane tee shirt.  say hi if you want

jimk Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: August 07, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin  i went flying with dad and grandpaw today.  it was windy so our airplanes did tricks like flying into trees, flying back and forth across the yard and crashing.  We flew Ginger Plane (she MEOWED!) (SIG TIGER) the silver plane (P37) and the red Plane (miss ashley mustang racer)  they flew great till I smushed Miss ashlety (by accident).  Then Kier showed up and he smushed Miss Ashley too.  that plane was totaled BUT K tossed it around and it flew anyway.  My grandpaw's planes are unstoppable! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Luv JONAH Grin Grin Grin Grin
Flyguy
Gold Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: August 10, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »

Long morning flying - 4 1/2 hours - I was actually hoping the ball guys would show up (for once they didn't) so I flew to exhaustion! First up was the Hurricane, first two photos. I've been using a 12" Hurricane prop with it and it flies nice, I wanted to try the 12 3/4" prop I'm using on the Sky Gull because it gets a noticeably longer run. Motor run was indeed longer, but altitude was about the same as usual and sink rate might have been a little higher (always a tradeoff), not sure about that though because there seemed to be a lot of sinking air in general today. In short, it didn't appear to increase performance. Interesting part is that, with the same prop, same motor, same number of winds, the motor run for the Sky Gull is still noticeably longer! So I guess plane/flying characteristics also affect the length of the motor run?

Next up was the Pepper. Really like flying this plane, just a nice performer. Prop even has a distinctive sound, almost like its purring on the way up, you can hear it in this earlier video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urK66XB6dGM

Last up was my Hell's Kitchen P30, haven't flown it this year. 3 years old now and it's taken a beating, but still looks good and flies nice! Some clouds rolled in, which means my better camera has something to focus on, so I put up a quick flight, stayed in focus the whole flight! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG1luctvUEQ

I'll confess I'm sore all over and flat on my back at this point, but it was fun! Motivates me to get my next new plane out.

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: August 11, 2017, 04:08:10 AM »

The clouds certainly helped Larry. Your flight with Pepper was particular clear - included the pilot rotating to keep the model in view. There didn't seem to be a lot of difference between the climb rate of the Pepper and your Hell's Kitchen P30 - possibly the Pepper had the edge?
So I guess plane/flying characteristics also affect the length of the motor run?

I wonder if the Sky Gull is able to hang on to a AOA closer to the stall and perhaps load the prop a fraction than with the Hurricane. In my limited Indoor experience trimming closer to the stall for the cruise seems to slow the prop RPM's.

However for the burst you'd think you would need a lower AOA - so it seems that you may have hit the sweet spot with the Sky Gull's trim and stability - allowing it to nose up on the cruise?

Ah well it's a theory for some interesting thought.

Thanks for the vids.

John
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: August 11, 2017, 06:00:08 AM »

Larry, have you ever lost one to the tall buildings? I would love to know more about your RC set up. It is very sensible. I want to keep my P-30s close by also. I fly in a huge area where when one decides to take off on you as my Sparky has been threatening, it's really gone.

The Threadkiller!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »

The clouds certainly helped Larry. Your flight with Pepper was particular clear - included the pilot rotating to keep the model in view. There didn't seem to be a lot of difference between the climb rate of the Pepper and your Hell's Kitchen P30 - possibly the Pepper had the edge?

Yes, they both have about the same climb, the P30 has the edge with a slightly better glide.

I wonder if the Sky Gull is able to hang on to a AOA closer to the stall and perhaps load the prop a fraction than with the Hurricane. In my limited Indoor experience trimming closer to the stall for the cruise seems to slow the prop RPM's.

However for the burst you'd think you would need a lower AOA - so it seems that you may have hit the sweet spot with the Sky Gull's trim and stability - allowing it to nose up on the cruise?

Ah well it's a theory for some interesting thought.

Thanks for the vids.

John

It is interesting, thanks John. Could be the AOA, also the Hurricane flies faster and is 10 grams heavier so I guess the prop ends up running a little faster. Never really thought about it before (and without the altimeter it would be hard to see these small differences). I might try one more session with the larger prop on the Hurricane, but I'm leaning towards going back to the 12" prop.

Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: August 11, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »

Larry, have you ever lost one to the tall buildings? I would love to know more about your RC set up. It is very sensible. I want to keep my P-30s close by also. I fly in a huge area where when one decides to take off on you as my Sparky has been threatening, it's really gone.

My Bob White Coupe ended up on a building roof a few years back, actually got it back from the building supervisor who found it on the roof!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpHlnPBr4eE   In hindsight, I think the battery went dead, too many flights!

The RC set up is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V-bxTQrTdQ
Typical setup (receiver/servo/switch) is about 6.5-8 grams, and, including battery, total price is less than $20! For the P30, I put the equipment in the pylon, as shown in the building video.

I should make the Sparky, I have the short kit, and given how well the very similar Pepper flies I'm sure it's a performer. Add a little rudder and you can fly it full blast, my field is just a little over an acre so you'll have plenty of room!

Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: August 16, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »

I only recently figured out how to wring out the Sparky. It's a 30 year old model, and I never flew with someone who knew the plane. Now I just load up 4 stands of 3/16" and launch straight up. What a flyer! So much fun! Climbs to a stop and drops the nose and starts cruising, you are gonna love this plane. Great plans too.

The Threadkiller!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: August 17, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »

You've convinced me to move the Sparky up a few notches on the building queue! I'm sure it's a great flyer, Pepper has slightly more streamlined fuselage so it would be interesting to compare the data.
cman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »

Hey Flyguy, the comet pepper looks great and flies real nice too.

Chris
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: August 17, 2017, 05:21:34 PM »

I have heard but not confirmed that the Sparky out performs the Pepper. They are stable mates. I can't wait to see your interpretation!

The Threadkiller!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: August 17, 2017, 09:51:29 PM »

I don't know about the outperforming part, we'll see! Of course my bias is towards the Pepper, considering all the rewarding flights it's given! Or equal performance. But that would be an interesting comparison, you have me looking at the Sparky plans now, I also did a side by side comparison in the first minute of my Pepper building video way back, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYevWT6zWo

I also just got the VMC Senator kit, been staring at the plan for an hour, thinking that's next!
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: August 18, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

Larry. We are not talking about compromising loyalties here. It's not like your Pepper is gonna go hang itself just because you enjoyed an outing with a Sparky. There's always Paris for lovers, you and your Pepper will always have that. But do go cha cha with its buxom stablemate once. You may love the Pepper more for it! Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: