Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2018, 11:17:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 181532 times)
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: April 08, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »

Grin  gym night
flew my useless penny plane SABENA!
p40Q broke up  its crying rebuild me. i'll use this corpse to correct mistakes this plane did fly good at one time
profile p51 needs finessing maybe a bigger prop? some weight in the nose or downthrust. Huh
p37  JONAH READY!!!!!! Grin
HE 100d repair damage tweak wing tips and rebalance. Its getting there.

JIM Grin
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »

This is much harder than F1D - It's rubber power, free flight - but had to look like a real airplane too...
Dave relaxed with a classic Coupe duration design.
West Baden was great. But South Australia Supercar racetrack is ok too.
cheers
Tim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.

Tim
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »

Wind was gusty so had to wait for a calm moment.  This is my Guillow 905- P-51,  I had just printed a 5 degree shim and am dialing in where to set it.  I am going to need to make a magnet set up to hold the hub in because as soon as the rubber winds down it spits the prop out and it nose dives.  This was with 2 loops of 3/32.....I am now trying 2 loops of 1/8.  It seems to fly pretty fast for a rubber powered plane.  I covered it in mylar and painted....not tissue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NCB_6o97U
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:03 AM »

Grin  guy's ummm do you think we have enough toys to be entertained. Huh

jim and grandson Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »

That, Jim, is one of the luckiest grandsons on the planet!  Smiley
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »

Good grief Jim - you weren't joking about your grandson's air force. Lucky boy Smiley

John
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: May 04, 2018, 02:30:10 AM »

Last night I went to the local park to check out the glide on a new Coupe. There was a group of about 5 boys, aged 8 - 12 gyrating on the swings but what struck me was that not one of them showed the slightest interest in a FF model aeroplane! I was rather relieved to be left alone but also surprised. How times have changed!
spliffsecond
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: May 04, 2018, 04:59:21 AM »

I had the same experience in a local park,
while I was trimming a glider.
Absoluty ingored by everybody.
Until the glider started soaring over their heads,
all the kids looked up, started yelling “airplane” and
all ran to catch it when it came down.
Luckely my son was there first and kept them at bay.

Grtz free
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: May 04, 2018, 06:26:54 AM »

I had a huge laff at My Olde Man’s expense  years ago. He always claimed that you could hand a small child a delicate model airplane and this said childe would naturally handle it with the utmost respect. Well he may have experienced this phenomenon once with some Martian childe, in another land, but the day he tried to prove it to me ended up in bits of tissue and crushed structure. As he tried the free the little model from the hellions hands the grip grew increasingly tighter, then the spastic arms began flailing. I thought this scene was screamingly funny, and laffed til I went into idiotic convulsions.! I can still see his useless dopey expression as he picked out the prop from the jumbled discarded wreckage. The spoked wheels were by now in the monsters mouth, and when his mother finally materialized she felt bad but, of course wanted to know he got his hands on this little plane, in the first place, since he was in a stroller! Well I guess you had to be there, but geez I got a real laff workout that day. I needed it bad! The demise of a Bristol Brownie! It never had a chance! That kid really showed interest!

The Threadkiller!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: May 04, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »

Grin  crabby, my grand kids are 4 and 2 and they do handle my planes with respect. they learned very quickly that if you break grandpaw's toys he won't play with them with you.

a valuable lesson.

jim Grin
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »

Jim you are an expert at child-craft. Try teaching gentle meticulous handling to a 7 month old! I will send you a nice big red apple! Roll Eyes The hilarious thing about it is he knew not to ever try that with us when we were that young. He was a perennial show-off probably grand-standing for the mom who was a little ways off. Cheesy Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes My poor Olde Man was having his hat handed to him again! OH BTW it was a Huntington H-12, not a Brownie but that's another howler! Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:35:00 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: May 12, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »

Drove down to Old Warden for the Mayfly event today. Got there about midday and luckily decided to go flying straight away (rather than eat lunch) because the rain came in at about 2:15 which was a good bit earlier than the last forecast I saw. Still, two hours of flying in near perfect conditions certainly made it a worthwhile trip. Quite busy on the freeflight field. Good to see everyone, with a very nice variety of models up and about.
My enlarged, and increasingly tatty, yellow Guillow's Fairchild wasn't really flying right (now carrying too many repairs made to the repairs I think) but my Malmstrom Hollandair Libel still performed okay, so I'll stick it in the AM/MA Designs comp again at Barkston in a fortnight. Also flew my Aerographics 1912 Blackburn outdoors for the first time, before going for another look at the real one in the hangars when the rain started.

Couple of vids...
A short clip Pete Smart's electric Beardmore Inflexible flying in a perhaps more suitable space for it than a sports hall?
https://youtu.be/xNcCPR90ltY

One of my Blackburn's flights (slight blip in the middle when a Bostonian or some such clonked me on the head)
https://youtu.be/4bCeSNpq2zU

Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: May 12, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »

Nice to see your Blackburn climbing away. That inflexible looks really menacing! Shocked

Andrew

Klunk
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: May 12, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »

Boy it looked black and menacing Peter Smiley Thanks for the vids - nice flights. That was a nice flight of the Blackburn - slow steady climb.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: May 13, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »

Yes, I was really pleased with the Blackburn. I might even put it in outdoor kit scale at some point. It was just a shame the rain didn't hold off for longer as while the calm spell lasted it was lovely. I'll look forward to hearing how people got on there today, where the weather looks pretty good so perhaps I chose the wrong day. (Unfortunately it's a three hour drive each way for me so I can't really justify going back again!)
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: May 13, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »

Grin  the kid and grandkids visited for mother's day so we played with the F8B AND THE PIPER CUB.  the son got in several good flights but on the last one it hit the back deck and tore a wing off.  the piper sustained minor damage. the younger grandkid learned how to hold the plane so grandpaw could wind the elastic.

not only that turkey vultures flew overhead.  the big joke was that the birds were looking for a meal and the planes were it.

Asia dog celebrated by rolling in deer crap Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes so guess who got a bath afterwards? Shocked Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

a good time was had by all.

jim Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: May 13, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »

Your grand kids are very lucky Jim. Great day.

John
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 103

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

Mike Midkiff and I took advantage of another rare day of calm weather to grab some flying time. He flew his Hansa Brandenburg electric and FW190 rubber ships and I took out my newly repaired SE5. Had a great time in a wheat field. Mike's models flew exceptionally and mine is getting there.

First picture is the field with Mike in the middle. Next two are of his Brandenburg.
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 103

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: May 17, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »

These pictures are the SE5. Needs more trim work to get the turn right.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: May 17, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

Plenty of space there Rich and Mike.

I took advantage of a calm but cool evening to do some trimming on a new replacement 300mm WS CLG. I must have been lucky as on a hard pull(3.5 x static length ) I was getting very nice transitions(no stall - straight into the left glide), with minimal trimming, using just the built in settings. The times were not fantastic at around 40+ seconds, timing started after I grabbed(fumbled) the stop watch out of my mouth and it had already transitioned by then.

Just as well it was cool sinking air as the park would have not been big enough to take better flights.

BTW Richard - it's also being used for cricket in the summer Smiley

John
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: June 03, 2018, 07:10:48 AM »

Went flying today with son Hugo - beautiful day here in Adelaide South Australia. Usually one of these parks around the city is free for flying - though a lot of them full of sport and dogs etc this morning. But we found a good one and had a great morning in the air.

Tim
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »

Very Cool Tim, Hugo looks a natural.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: June 03, 2018, 09:28:48 PM »

Beautiful shot of your son launching Tim. How did the old sorceress fly? I still remember the build contest for Biplane Racers between your self and Dave. Is Dave's model still flying?

John
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: June 06, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »

Hi John - great to hear from you. Not the Scorceress but another bipe called 'Sundancer'
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/williamscangie/interesting/
cheers
Tim

Tim
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: June 06, 2018, 06:26:56 AM »

Hey Tim I want one of those!  Do you have a plan?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: