Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2018, 06:19:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 185173 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: October 01, 2018, 05:00:31 AM »

Great stuff, Crabby!

A few more from the Manchester Velodrome on Saturday...

Reg Boor again. His Mew Gull is quite an old model, built to test out a plan by Erm Can'trememberwhathesaid (that famous aeromodeller) and first entered in the Woodvale contest under C02 power. Now converted to rubber.

Three vids...
Two flights of my VMC SE5a, which gives the cyclists a bit of a race. (Shame about my fat finger encroaching on the frame.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfkD_-ISW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwXWPMyl98Q
The air horn you hear at the end is the signal to denote changeover from freeflight to RC slot. When you hear a bell though you can safely ignore it, as that's just the last lap signal for the cyclists!

And Tim Horne's Walt Mooney designed Nieuport/Beechcaft staggerwinged sesquiplane Bostonian biplane thing . Flies very smoothly, as did his equally quirky Bill Brown 'Snout'. I'll try and film that one next time. (27th Oct is the next meeting here.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve49zAHsJTo
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 130

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: October 01, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »

Hi Flydean! no the Staggerwing is a Rich Weber dimer. Both the Mig and the S'wing are old models that had thrust problems. One day they are in the clouds, I mean really up there making me look like a guru, next time out its a totally different thing. so I sanded a series of key slots in the receiving end of the nose and glued a key on the nose block. I can make thrust changes that stay put. If I can ever con someone to come flying with me I will get some video.

The Threadkiller!
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: October 01, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »

There's so much construction going on the skyline has really changed, you can see tons of new high rises under construction both uptown and downtown, and all those tall buildings in Hudson yards are new.

Agreed, I think rubber RC is the way to go for small fields, if I can walk to a field to fly rubber power in midtown Manhattan, than anyone can fly anywhere! I told a friend recently that I actually miss losing a plane once in a while, helps to thin down the herd, never losing a plane is getting to be something of a problem storage-wise at this point!

I just saw your youtube video where you flew the Bob White Wake ... with the onboard camera.

AWESOME!

-Dave
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: October 01, 2018, 07:38:18 PM »

Very nice flights Peter and what a nice venue.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: October 01, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »

There's so much construction going on the skyline has really changed, you can see tons of new high rises under construction both uptown and downtown, and all those tall buildings in Hudson yards are new.

Agreed, I think rubber RC is the way to go for small fields, if I can walk to a field to fly rubber power in midtown Manhattan, than anyone can fly anywhere! I told a friend recently that I actually miss losing a plane once in a while, helps to thin down the herd, never losing a plane is getting to be something of a problem storage-wise at this point!

I just saw your youtube video where you flew the Bob White Wake ... with the onboard camera.

AWESOME!

-Dave

Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed it. That flight was only 207 feet, so my flying plan is to get some video at 300+ feet. I just got a blast shield for my Andriukov winder, so I should be able to crank in close to the max winds without fear (I got hit once in the knuckles by a broken Coupe motor and it was incredibly painful).

Also been meaning to ask Crabby plans for his great looking Mig in post #947? Over 2 minutes, that's impressive!

Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 130

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: October 02, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

Hi Flyguy that MiG is reduced from a Don Srull 24" plan. Its actually in no-man's land size-wise as far as competition goes. It is my third Mig-15 I like the lines very much. The 2+minute flight is compliments of a huge thermal that could have lifted cobblestones off the sidewalk. The other flights were more commonplace., and I just got this one to behave in a more consistent manner. Aside from that it is a really fun plane to fly, and I kept it light. I can send you plans if you like it that much! I have to con my wife to shoot a flight vid for me one day.

The Threadkiller!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: October 02, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »

Thanks Crabby, I actually found a picture and mention of Don Srull's plans on a thread here, plus outerzone has a bunch of migs. Your other flights were also very good. I've never built a rubber jet before, so it goes on the to-do list, thanks for the pics!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: October 02, 2018, 10:00:05 PM »

The wind today actually increased to 14 mph, not decrease like the weather said, so after walking the dog just before sunset (7:10 PM),   I grabbed the 30" Rearwin Speedster for some NIGHT FLYING when the winds became less.  Could not wait anymore - besides I wanted to see how it flew with 200 hand winds (the practice run was 12 sec) - all I brought with me was a little film container of modelling clay weight.  It turns out I did not even need it.    Prop hook to rear peg is  13 3/4", and I have a 13 1/2", four strand of  3/16", motor in there.
     Well I left at 8:00 pm (sunset was 7:10 PM), and got back at 8:45 Pm - grass was very long and thick from all of the rain the last two weeks,  the dew was not quite falling, and the tissue was sagging.  Wind finally down to 8mph from North gusting to 12 mph.  
     You won't believe this ...
Flight #1   200  hand winds one perfect sort of tight circle left and it lands directly right behind me, four paces away.   11 second flight.  About 6 to 10 feet off the ground the whole way.
Flight #2    200  hand winds, one perfect sort of tight circle left and it lands in exactly the same spot as the first flight!  both soft landings in the tall grass.   another  11 sec  flight!    same height as above.
Flight #3     220  hand winds and the same circle but a 14 second flight, and I was getting ready to jump out of the way as it lands right exactly at my feet!!   same height as above.
     Then I said to myself - time to pack it up - tomorrow's forecast is too good to not  try and sneak into the Cricket Wicket in the morning,  as it is calling for 6 mph from the East gusting to 9 mph at  8:00 AM.  (Sunrise tomorrow is  7:30  AM)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
________

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:32 PM »

WOODSMAN,

See how much life is easier with a forward peg location?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: October 02, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »

The old girl is hanging in Richard. It's still flying well - a credit to the accuracy of your repairs.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: October 06, 2018, 10:28:04 AM »

Grin  flight tested the wildcat.  it flies nice it climbs out, stalls and quickly levels off for a gradual decent.  very nice i'd say. will definitely entertain the grandkids.

jim Grin Grin
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: October 09, 2018, 06:26:50 AM »

Could have been 'went sailing' but when we got to the model boat pond it was covered in an algal bloom - so we went flying instead:
https://youtu.be/PhBQNoFgn58

Tim
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 80

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: October 09, 2018, 07:06:42 AM »

Good to see Hugo so keen, a promise of things to come hopefully,
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: October 09, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »

THB
That video brought a huge smile to my face!  I love the excitement... "It take off!  It take off!... "Will it come down?"... "Will it come down?"... "It come down!!"   Grin
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »

Hi TBH !   Thanks for that all time great video.  Roll Eyes   That little kid's excitement says it all!   Grin   I had to watch it several times ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: October 09, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »

That's my littlest boy Hugo - and yes he's pretty keen on anything that he can fly or sail. He's keen to start building something of his own next! Thanks for the comments. Will keep you posted!

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: October 09, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »

Terrific Smiley It's a long time since I've heard a child's reaction like that Tim. Great flight but more importantly great fun. Good job Tim and all the best with Hugo's efforts in the future.

Also good to see the Sundancer in good shape and flying well. It wouldn't be all that much younger than Hugo?

John.
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »

Hey Tim 2 names.
I just loved that young'un, what excitement.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »

Something a little different. I also fly RC Glider and electric power as well as sport's FF. However my Rc flying mate Phil has flown a fair bit of power in the past and yesterday we maidened his Joe Bridi classic 70's Dirty Birdy pattern model.

It flew very well - neutral in roll and pitch and without showing any nasty habits. It is a 60" Ws model weighing around 6.8lbs and has a Super Tigre 61 running on muffler pressure.

Phil didn't fit retracts and this helped to keep the weight down.

One unusual minor problem was the need to have the servos and battery just in front of the tail to get the correct CG. This can be a problem with modern motors which are generally heavier than those used in the 70's as well as far more powerful.

Hope you enjoy the variety.

happy flying.

John
village boy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #969 on: October 10, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »

Nice

Sent from my itel it1508 using Tapatalk

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: October 11, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »

Something else a little different...

Went slope soaring with my Middle Phase in 15-18mph SE winds in glorious warm weather yesterday off Beacon Hill above the A34 in Hampshire (the other side of the road from Watership Down).  Atop the hill (a steep climb!) is an iron-age fort with a barbed wire perimeter to keep the sheep off it, but there's a decently wide-enough flat-ish shoulder for landing just to the south.  I usually fly closer to home off the NW bowl at Uffington White Horse Hill, so it was lovely to try somewhere different.  Beacon Hill is just 40mins drive and also looks good for SW winds, which being the prevailing direction extends my opportunities.

No pics or footage of actual flying as I was on my tod - except for the brace of red kits which sometimes showed an unhealthy interest in the Pink Beastie.  Experimented with settings for putting her firmly down in limited landing areas (max up aileron both wings with micro up on the elevator) but still not quite the stopping-power of big down flaperons on a DLG or crow on a full-house modern ship.  Inverted isn't very effective in these moderate winds due to the semi-symmetrical section - back at home later I added a mix to reflex the wings (2-3mm down on both ailerons) for inverted flight... which I'll play with next time!

To the north Highclere Castle is visible, which was used as the location for Downton Abbey in the TV series - I'm not confessing to having or having not watched it!  Grin
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: October 11, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »

Something a little different. I also fly RC Glider and electric power as well as sport's FF. However my Rc flying mate Phil has flown a fair bit of power in the past and yesterday we maidened his Joe Bridi classic 70's Dirty Birdy pattern model.

It flew very well - neutral in roll and pitch and without showing any nasty habits. It is a 60" Ws model weighing around 6.8lbs and has a Super Tigre 61 running on muffler pressure.

Phil didn't fit retracts and this helped to keep the weight down.

One unusual minor problem was the need to have the servos and battery just in front of the tail to get the correct CG. This can be a problem with modern motors which are generally heavier than those used in the 70's as well as far more powerful.

Hope you enjoy the variety.

happy flying.

John

Great lookin' Birdy!  I built the 60 and the 40 size (from kits) and had the servos (World Engines driven by the 7 ch single-stick) and a ST .56 that got changed to a Webra 61.  The 40 sized one flew with the same radio and a K&B 4011 .40.  Both were FANTASTIC and I still consider the Birdies to be the neatest looking of the era (I even have the plan for the 40 on the workbench for a new E version).

My 60 was tail heavy with the servos in the "normal" position.  An alu spinner and the small prop-shaft weight (Sonic Tronics?) got it sorted.  The 40 size was OK with just an alu spinner.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: October 11, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »

The poor photos don't do Phil's Birdy justice Pete. It was built from a laser cut short kit form Avetek in NZ. A copy of the original RCM plan was supplied which actually had a couple of minor mistakes. Phil fully sheeted the wing and apart from the rear mounted servos and individual wing servos it is basically stock.
It's painted in 2 pack Urethane left over from his homebuilt aircraft(Sonex).
I was impressed at how well it flew on it's first flight - smooth, no bad low speed habits and to my eyes almost completely neutral.
Daffy Duck the test pilot pronounced it as Ok - don't touch anything Smiley
I was tempted and a 40 size electric version would be very nice!

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: October 27, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »

Finally had a calm day yesterday and I got in about 3 hours of flying (pretty sore today). Had one nice flight with the KK Ace, I increased the wing incidence slightly but that was a mistake so I put it away to change at home. Pulled out the BW Wake with the wing mounted camera and put up 3 nice maxes, but I forgot to turn the camera off after the last flight so I lost those videos (looks like it wrote over stuff upon filling memory) although I have a nice video of the inside of my box for about an hour! Photo shows the wake about to be caught by me. Put up several nice flights with my P30. Also got two flights in with the Comet Pepper, but it suddenly lost altitude for some reason (sinking air?) and I didn't make it over the trees, hit the tallest one, arrow in photo shows the Pepper about to hit the tree. Wing eventually floated down but the rest of it was out of reach of my 50' pole. I checked again today (damn windy) but it's still right at the top of the tree and in there pretty good! I'm hoping at least some parts I'd like to get back eventually come down. Haven't lost a plane in over 6 1/2 years, but the Pepper is clearly no more. On the bright side it is good to thin the herd and motivates me to now build the Sparky!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: October 27, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »

Another very good session at the Manchester Velodrome today. A much better turnout than last month, which must be good for our long term prospects there.

A few pics of the freeflight side of things...
1. My fleet for the day. All five models flew and came home intact so I had a very nice time. For a while, I just couldn't understand why the Fairchild wouldn't take off, till I realised that the small upthrust shim I'd thoughtlessly removed on arrival was put there last time for a reason! The crude non-scale little 'Bleriot' was made one afternoon about ten years ago and till today had since just gathered dust on a shelf. It went quite well!
2. Reg Boor's Tempest
3. and Reg winding his Swordfish
4. Ralph Sparrow's Auster from a 1940s Skyleada kit plan. Beautifully Mylar covered and finished and beginning to fly quite well too.

There was lots of other good stuff which I didn't photograph, such as Brian Horsfield's small electric Eindecker which he got going very nicely, and a very big yellow Fike (he likes Fikes) which he tried, but eventually decided was perhaps more suited for outdoors and flew a smaller one instead.

Dave Crompton made good progress trimming his new Magister, getting it circling left nicely from a hand launch. I got a bit of video, although this wasn't its best flight. At the end of the vid is also his last go of the day, when it explicacbly decided to go right instead! Looking promising though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUQkSlDZ8Rk

I shared my table with Colin Taylor, who was having an ornithopter day. He's a master of this dark art, as this video of two of his models in action shows. I think they really may be alive. The large pterodactyl one looks positively primeval as it carries on flapping once it's landed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FoYP4bYhX8

Next meeting here is February, for the Northwest Gala.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: