Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 09:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 184922 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: October 28, 2018, 02:58:00 AM »

Hi Pete. Tell us more about the Swordfish - is it a Veron and did it fly?
We also Went Flying; Midland Gala at Barkston. Icy wind, rain most of the day, snow and sleet. Still managed 5 flights in F1G but it was a bit of an ordeal.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: October 28, 2018, 03:16:32 AM »

These fellows who fly indoor out have the weather have an easy time, not like you true outdoor warriors Bill Smiley

Thanks for the Vids Peter - The flying area at the velodrome looks impressive.

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: October 28, 2018, 05:58:14 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
I shared my table with Colin Taylor, who was having an ornithopter day...
Well, that was a mistake. I showed MrsLurker the video; "I want one!" was the immediate response.  Ermm, anyone got a plan for an easy to build ornithopter? Smiley  Very impressive.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: October 28, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »

Tell us more about the Swordfish - is it a Veron and did it fly?
We also Went Flying; Midland Gala at Barkston. Icy wind, rain most of the day, snow and sleet. Still managed 5 flights in F1G but it was a bit of an ordeal.
Well done! As I drove over the Pennines, through the sleety gale, my car made the warning beep it makes when the outside temp. approaches feezing. "Wish I was at Barkston" I thought... "I bet they're having a lovely time- such a shame the Selby comp. was cancelled!"

I think Reg's Swordfish is the Veron one, yes, and what I described as his Tempest looks like it's the Guillows Typhoon. Both were old models which he'd flown successfully before, but he said he was having no joy with them yesterday. The best I saw the Swordfish manage were some rather shaky, low powered glides.

Well, that was a mistake. I showed MrsLurker the video; "I want one!" was the immediate response.  Ermm, anyone got a plan for an easy to build ornithopter? Smiley  Very impressive.
If you ask me, ornith(opter)ology is a surefire road to madness, but if you're really set on self destruction (and under wife orders) there's a thread on here already, which might help: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=21381.0
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: October 28, 2018, 07:38:13 AM »

Next meeting here is February, for the Northwest Gala.
Correction: Feb (23rd) is another Fun Fly. NW Gala is March 16th.
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: October 28, 2018, 10:47:34 AM »

Well, that was a mistake. I showed MrsLurker the video; "I want one!" was the immediate response.  Ermm, anyone got a plan for an easy to build ornithopter? Smiley  Very impressive.
[/quote]

https://www.ornithopter.org/plans.shtml

And these will fly, unlike some of the stuff on other sites.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:20:00 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: October 28, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »

For a nice Ornithopter plan, there is a link to a pdf file here in  "BUTTERFLIES" in 'dosco's'  Reply #14 here   http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=23606.0    Click on his link and it will load up a nice  five page plan and instructions.   Also there is a great instructional 12 minute assembly video here in "BUTTERFLIES" Reply #13 .

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: November 03, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »

Quote from: Indoorflyer
Quote from: LASTWOODSMAN
...Ornithopter plan, there is a link to a pdf file here..
Thanks both for taking the time to go looking.  I'd found ornithopter.org and will be having a bash at a Freebird sometime soon(ish).  Aside from getting the blessed thing to fly the biggest hurdle is trying to persuade MrsL that ornithopters are indoor creatures as she's adamant that it will be flown outside at the Lurker Industries Aerodrome.  Smiley
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 90

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: November 06, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »

Caught a quick clip of Lee Russell flying his Bill Gowen-designed A-6 at our October contest. He and Hope had a nice showdown in A-6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZ-mfwEmlQ&lc=z22rgfjpcme4fxnfeacdp43alfiyljqpvwobgxhpfsxw03c010c
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: November 19, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »

Grin  indoor flying started last nite  yeahhhhhhh!!!!!
the following planes flew beatifully

1 neo dimne hellcat (FAC plan) 16 inches
2 easybilt p40 20 inches
3 easybilt spit 17 inches
no surprizes because they are great outdoors
i built a guillows camel and my own design delta jet. both need more power and weight in the nose.

jim  Grin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: November 22, 2018, 11:14:01 AM »

Went trimming prior to the Birmingham Coupe do. A bit of a farce. It was so cold my fingers weren't doing what I told them. I found the way to make a vintage coupe perform aerobatics is to put the wing (flat centre section) on one bay to the left and lose the sidethrust.
More seriously, my new coupe with narrower fuselage climbed like a fat swan. Discovered knots were binding inside, despite it being wider than the Couper S I was copying.  I obviously need to wind better but I fear my problem is using the half tube which is several inches longer than the motor. Thus when it is wound and the prop attached, the motor has to shorten to fit the fuse and that's when the knots appear. I can hear them writhing inside. I'm not sure about the half tube yet. I can see the advantages but I need three hands, and everything I am holding always seem to be in the wrong ones.
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: November 26, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »

Hi Bill, At least you ventured out the weather around here has been too windy and I can see me doing a trim flight at the comp, if the weather holds which the forecast doesn't look promising, straight out of the box from the last time which was 6 years ago. Lets hope the trims the same! Re the half tubes I have a number of them and they are cut down to the length of my motors, well just slightly over so I can insert and retrieve easily. I cut them down at the prop end and just file a notch for the wire pin that goes through my hub. I have two lengths, one for 28 strands of 1/16" and one for 24 strands, ie 14 and 12 strands of 1/8" former for my windy model and the latter for everything else. Sure I've a pic somewhere. Tony

Moot point as I didn't see your post in the "Rubber" section!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:42:24 AM by tctele » Logged
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: November 26, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »

Grin  went flying indoors last nite.   my two cats (16 inch hellcat and 19 inch wildcat) flew on a rail, Grin Grin Grin Grin my to stick models did will and my p40 acted up.  i also flew my comet spitfire which needs trim on the tail to perfect.

jim Grin
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: November 28, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »

This is 6 month old footage, but better late than never I guess. My 42" span Unlimited on its 46 minute flight at Lakehurst this past June: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ25MI88cUM
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: November 28, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »

Is it covered with microfilm?
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:08 PM »

Took the Bonanza out for a flight today. Just 400 winds on 1/8" rubber. Built from a Whitman/Joe Ott plan. 16" W/S AUW for flight was 16.0 grams Still pics from the video are a little blurry. Nice and warm with the sun today.
ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: December 01, 2018, 05:04:30 PM »

Your Bonanza would have flown well at that weight PB. Very nice.
John
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: December 03, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »

Is it covered with microfilm?

It's plastic covered - OS Film. I've got a larger one covered with Y2K that is still in the trimming stages.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: December 09, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »

Grin  flew lots tionite
1) preparation for next week's glider contest.
    canard meh!, carbon fibre glider  yes it's nice  ditto with an old one i built 10 yheasrs ago.  it's all in the way you chuck them
2) speedee bilt p40  actually works. i tried it on 1/8 tan and 1/8 black rubber.  the tan seems to work better.  if you do these types of models build out of light sheet and foam and they should fly well enough , max weight 20 gms.
3) the wild cat which flew well last week, this week slightly out of trim.  the comet 20 inch piper cub waddled through the air.
4) the two stick models, buzzard jr and modified blue ridge special flew just fine the buzzard on 1/8 black, the blue on 1/8 tan.

jim Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: