Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 23, 2019, 03:38:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OV-10 Bronco Twin Rubber Power RC -Build-  (Read 3511 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: January 14, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »

Ok now this project is going to be an interesting one, an OV-10 Bronco rubber power twin but directed with a 3 channel RC system for guidance.

I have the option of making the front ends electric power as well but initially I will be leaving the power system as Rubber Twin and adding the RC system for control. This airplane is traditional stick and tissue construction leaving it as traditional as possible making only the mods for the movable surfaces and the installation of the Falcon Micro RC system.

First up is the center fuselage, and cockpit area. My biggest reservation for this project is the large canopy. I have not the tools to mold one. But that never really stopped me. I will make a simple vacuum former for this canopy as time goes on from the great info found elsewhere on the forum.

This fuselage is nothing special, only 1/8th stick box with the foam front and rear cones. However, I hate foam and will be doing the nose and tail-cones up in balsa frame and sheet.

The part of construction that drives me nuts is cross bracing and getting it all square. There are great tutorials on making this process go well but do I read them... Nooo, I just go ahead and suffer through the construction in any way that works.

So, now that I have started, I have to Finish...

Cheers

Bruce F.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
OV-10 Bronco Twin Rubber Power RC -Build-

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 81

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »

Bruce
WOW! I'm not a fan of foam or R/C but this has my interest. What size is it? What plan are you using?

Best of luck,
Dave
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »

Hi Dave

I am building from the Model Builders Plan by Tom Houle, 36 inch span. 234 Sq In.

Well you are the same as me, I prefer other disciplines like free flight and C/L but I wanted to make this special and marry traditional Stick and Tissue builds and some control of the airplane instead of release my art to flying away.

So this is a test, I think that since this radio is so small and the plane is so large the performance will hardly suffer from a normal FF flight profile other than I will have some control over it's overall flight pattern and return to earth than roll the dice with some kind of ancient DT system.

I know that I am going to ruffle a few feather in the purist camps...

grin

Bruce F.

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »

VEEERY INTERESTING! I suppose the plan is available from Bill Northrup? Do you remember what issue it appeared in? I built an RC version for twin .40-.60's from a German FMT plan about 25-30 years ago - good flyer till the inboard motor cut out on the turn to final (no glo-drivers then).

I've got a 2.4 VAPOR unit looking for a home.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »

Hi Pit

See a PM to you.
In the meantime, the plan is from Model Builder:

OV-10A BRONCO - FF RUB SCALE PG 66 10-98 MAR 1980 MB

Cheers

Bruce F.

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 81

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »

Hi Bruce

Does this mean you can run very little down thrust and control the climb with elevator to really get some height? I have a mate that had an R/C version painted as a Fire Controller that was neat. Guess you have finished all that research there is a heap on the net. While looking for this photo I found a photo of a turbo prop Tracker. Oh well another for my todo list.

Regards Dave
Re: OV-10 Bronco Twin Rubber Power RC -Build-
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:18 AM »

Wow Rc twin rubber! now your talking!! actuators would be super light.

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 05:05:33 AM »

What about using 'muscle wire'....

Paul

ps
Lurve the Bronco - one of my favourite twins

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »

and LOTS of room for a long motor.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

Well the RC system is hardly heavy,
Servo is 1.6 Grams,
Receiver is 1.5 Grams.
Battery is 3.4 Grams

So three servos, receiver and battery and wires to run it all is only 12 grams or so...

In this airplane, at a wing size of 234 sq in, I don't think that this radio system is hardly going to be a concern. This is not a small plane and with twin rubber motors, power is not going to be a problem. These servos have plenty of movement for normal flight movements, and I am not an aerobatic flier, so control for launching, cruising and thermal-ling and then return is easily achieved. I will be able to have the downthrust set for zero which is indicated on the plan and there is a little of Right Hand and Left Hand thrust arrangements on the plan for that. As for climb I will be able to control the elevator for climb and then glide phases so A RC setting for Free Climb, and then a RC setting for Free Glide and rudder and aileron control for directional steering and approach and landing. To be specific, this is really a RC assist Free Flight airplane, in replace of any other kind of DT system. I don't really know what all the fuss is about operating a Rubber power plane with a RC system... Grin Ya Lots of room for two long motors...

Colors are still not decided upon, I will cover it in tissue and use Varathane Diamond Wood Finish for a sealer. No landing gear, perhaps plug in for show.

I considered muscle wire, many months ago. First it's control movement is short, this is a big plane at 234 sq in of wing and there is more room for these little servos that I don't need to go so minimal. Plus, I have the servos already.

Servos;
The Ubiquitous Falcon 1.6g Servo has now been further improved and is compatible with all radios including the new Spektrum 2.4GHz radio. It has unique electronic stops and it will not arm until it receives a constant input signal. Innovative design developed and manufactured in the UK. Fast and powerful

Receiver;
Falcon Receiver with DSP & Fail Safe
Falcon Receiver Mk III with DSP & Fail Safe
35 MHz & 72 MHz IDC

Battery:
Lithium Polymer 130mAh 3.4g
4th Generation Li Poly cells. 10c continuous discharge.
25mm x 19.9mm x 4.7mm
Supplied as standard with tags

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »

Ja, Spectrum has a relatively new ulta micro-light AR6400 with two of those servos built onto the board (brick) that only weighs 3.5 grams. Even has the ESC built in (which u WON'T need with gummi motors Grin). Not too expensive so I Bought one with my tranny conversion kit.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »

There are many small RC systems that would do the job Pit, no problem there. The micro RC system has come of age and we can still use the building techniques that we enjoy to use this micro stuff. There are some others on the forum that have used these small systems to good effect.

I have completed the tail cone, and somehow make it as complicated as possible. It is made up of sheet wood and triangle stock which came out fairly light but not without much work. I still prefer wood over foam...

Now for the Nosecone and forward section dashboard area.

Bruce F.

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »

Nose Cone and dashboard formers

The nose cone is complete and came out ok. It's light, and solid, and I think I got the proper shape. These carving projects are not for beginners, they take time and you can always over do it but cutting or sanding too much. The thing I have learned about balsa is that you can re apply balsa back onto or into areas that you shaved or cut off too much. This nose cone was made from a number of layers of block and sheet wood laminated together. But as always, while carving out the inside with the Dremel Tool I cut too much out and ended up going through to the outer surface. So some scrap wood and CA glue and bond, then sand and presto, problem disappears. Well, it's still there but no one will find it.

The overall central fuselage is taking shape and I will sheet up the dashboard deck with some 1/32 sheet and think about just how I am going to create a canopy in a painless way...

Cheers

tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »

Great project, Bruce, I have not seen an OV-10 of any size that did not fly like gangbusters. I think the canopy forming is going to be a non-event, though, as I have done one that size and it was pretty quick. My approach to canopies is to staple a sheet of plastic to a couple of flat sticks on the left and right edges, hold it over a stove unit and then pull down over the carved form on a stick. You have to bring your hands together after the draping underneath the form and hold it as it all cools such that the canopy develops that "under curve". Straight plunge forming won't do that and I am still too lazy to make a vacuform rig. I also did it in 2 shots----one for the windscreen alone and a second for the long bubble canopy.

I finally did make a couple of spiked flat sticks that I use and reuse with all sorts of canopies. The "R" stands for Right Side pair. You squeeze them together on the edge of the sheet. Just a thought as I know there are lots of ways to do it.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »

Hi Tom

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I think that you have good tips and that gives me some ideas to consider. I have been dreading the whole vacuum box project. I will have to document my experiences.

Cheers<

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »

Completed Nose Cone and Dashboard Section.

For now, the nose is done which includes the dashboard. This section was just former and sheet construction which went together fairly easily. The nose cone was attached and sanded to shape with the dashboard. Also attached and sanded to shape was the boat tail aft cone, and some final sanding took place. I am pleased with this construction so far.

Cheers

Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »

This is a very cool project, and I am sure it will work great. I am on the same track, building a 54" Taylorcraft which will be rubber powered RC. My components are a lot heavier, about 25 grams, but I hope most of it will be used as functional ballast.

Wout

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »

Hi Wout

Glad to hear that you are trying the same discipline. I think that you will have little trouble with that project and a heavier system, that is a pretty big wing to carry it all. Good job. I think that the weight of batteries, being so little now is really the cross over point where rubber power RC becomes viable.

I think that there is lots of power in Rubber and so this becomes a test project to see what I can get away with. Certainly a Twin Power will give me the reserves to haul around an extra 12 grams of radio.

You will have to start a thread on your Taylorcraft Rubber Power RC.

Cheers

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »

Canopy Plug

This took a while and tested my abilities in carving and forming. The plug for the canopy came out ok, still some filling and sealing with some kind of sealant, perhaps diamond cote varathane. This mold is made from a box, then laminated to size and then carved. I did not use much block other than up front.

The issue is to make a form box, plunge mold it or something else. Have to decide which, it'a a long and high canopy and a small forming box will not likely work.

Bruce F.

Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:44:16 AM »

Bruce, i read a method a few days ago which could be useful. I don't remember if it was here or on SFA. The mold is placed on a long stick which is clamped to a rigid object. The clear plastic is nailed on two wooden handles, so only 2 sides of the plastic are supported. The plastic is heated and pulled over the mold while the handles are moved towards each other. I think this will work well for this shape.

Wout

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »

OK Wout

I will try this method first, and see how that works out, I have all the components for this procedure. Will have a report soon.

BF

Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 03:09:13 AM »

Bruce, I remembered where I read about this method. It was in reply #13 of this thread :-)
Good luck in trying!

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »

Bruce, I tried the technique a few days ago and it worked perfectly on a big canopy mold of one of my club members. The mold was on top of a 6 inch piece of wood which was clamped in a vice. I heated a sheet, about legal paper sized, above a electric stove. I held the plastic in my bare hands, without a wooden frame. Then I moved it quickly over the mold and pulled the plastic over it. The result was a nice clear canopy.

Highly recommended

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »

What's the status of this most interesting project?
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »

I am stuck on the canopy forming process, just sandbagged...
I have the plastic I need, I have the canopy carved and it has some finish on it to make it smooth but I am without the forming method. There have been some good suggestions and the  plunge method is the one that I am moving towards. This is a big form and I am just going to "get over it" and take a shot on some tests. 

I will keep you posted.

Cheers
Bruce F.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: