Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2018, 11:03:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OV-10 Bronco Twin Rubber Power RC -Build-  (Read 3121 times)
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 02:30:11 AM »

Bruce,
If you can find a cool drink bottle (soda pop ?) large enough cut off one end and fit the mold into it and apply even heat with a heat gun or probably even a hair dryer, the PEP bottle will shrink down and form around the mold. You will then have to cut the bottom away to remove the mold. Make sure your mold is strong or it may collapse.

Regards Dave
keven64
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »

Hello Bruce,

I just joined here.
I had a coincidental 'double-link' - where a page at the Vintage Plans thread ( on RCGROUPS Wink ) included a link to this forum...
...and also a search for "Bronco twin plans" included a link to this thread.

So - here I am !

I have four Spektrum AR6400 receivers and two AR63000 receivers ( with appropriate tiny servos ) - and I cannot make up my mind which to use for a Bronco - and what small size to go for.
Electric powered - though...

Can I ask what flight times you expect to get with a such rubber powered R/C model ?

Keven. Smiley
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Kudos: 47

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »

Hi Keven,

I am using a receiver from Falcon RC, it's pretty small and so weight will be the least of my concerns. I suspect that the running time for this model will be less than a minute under power if I operating using typical rubber power setups. However, I am having a change of heart and may still make this plane ito twin electric, which is way more logical. there is plenty of wing on ths plane to cary it all...

To be determined.

Sundance12

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water!
keven64
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »

...Yeah - I know the Falcon receivers are lightweight and tiny.
I was not 'challenging' the radio weight issue.

I wondering about 'power-on' times with rubber power. Wink
It's a long time since I made anything that had rubber for power... one of the last I made ( in the mid-80's ! ) had a free-wheeling propeller with variable pitch.
Nothing 'clever' - own-design simplicity stuff, with 'eyeballed' pitch adjustment - for each blade...

My memory is terrible - and so I cannot recall exactly what I did when trying to play about with extending 'power-on' times - using the torque curve against pitch.

That has me wondering again about such a model as you conceived here ( rubber-powered R/C )... but with a single propeller with provision for variable pitch... and possibly - also diameter !

I have an old Aeromodeller annual that features a rubber powered single-channel R/C model from Japan, and I have often thought about how well that would now work well - with two functions and modern radio.

Electric is a far easier option, though, I think - with a twin.

Keven. Smiley
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »

Well, there are not that many examples of rubber power RC out there so it's a field that is wide open for much experimentation. I was figuring that a good power climb to some altitude and then directed flight back is all that I would get. Perhaps some prolonged cruise portion of the flight. Certainly a variable pitch prop on the power would be some advantage to increase the run time. Electric power is the easy way out as much have been developed for small powerplants. The age of electrics has arrived for sure.

I agree with your sentiment, that this plane is really suited for electric flight and may get a new plan...

Bruce F.

...Yeah - I know the Falcon receivers are lightweight and tiny.
I was not 'challenging' the radio weight issue.

I wondering about 'power-on' times with rubber power. Wink
It's a long time since I made anything that had rubber for power... one of the last I made ( in the mid-80's ! ) had a free-wheeling propeller with variable pitch.
Nothing 'clever' - own-design simplicity stuff, with 'eyeballed' pitch adjustment - for each blade...

My memory is terrible - and so I cannot recall exactly what I did when trying to play about with extending 'power-on' times - using the torque curve against pitch.

That has me wondering again about such a model as you conceived here ( rubber-powered R/C )... but with a single propeller with provision for variable pitch... and possibly - also diameter !

I have an old Aeromodeller annual that features a rubber powered single-channel R/C model from Japan, and I have often thought about how well that would now work well - with two functions and modern radio.

Electric is a far easier option, though, I think - with a twin.

Keven. Smiley

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:41:14 PM by Sundance12 » Logged

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 238

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »

Bruce, What a neato project.  I've heard of RC assist for rubber powered models.  Never seen one though.  Now I will.   Smiley
  When in the US Air Force, one of my first duties was cammunications support for O-1 Birddogs and O-2 SkyPigs.  But right next door was my counterpart who supported the OV-10 Bronco.  Quite an airplane.  Very fast and versitile.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »

Bruce, What a neato project.  I've heard of RC assist for rubber powered models.  Never seen one though.  Now I will.   Smiley
  When in the US Air Force, one of my first duties was communications support for O-1 Birddogs and O-2 SkyPigs.  But right next door was my counterpart who supported the OV-10 Bronco.  Quite an airplane.  Very fast and versitile.  Caley

Hi Caley

Thanks for the moral support, and I need it as this project is an ambitious one for me and I get sandbagged on it like now. The canopy work is especially taxing my abilities and I may have to farm that out to a friend of mine who does these big canopies better than I.

What communications did you do there, then? 

It is quite an airplane and a fine project for anyone.

Cheers

Bruce

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »

Bruce, You certainly did choose a good subject and a very challenging one.  But I know it will be a good flyer, especially with the little extra help you can give it with the RC system, when it needs it.
  There, as in the US Air Force, or with the O-2 and O-2 airplanes?  The later was UHF/VHF/HF/AM voice comm support.  But I put together their comm package for each mission, and briefed them on it.
  Look forward to seeing your progress.  Caley

Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »

Bruce, You certainly did choose a good subject and a very challenging one.  But I know it will be a good flyer, especially with the little extra help you can give it with the RC system, when it needs it.
  There, as in the US Air Force, or with the O-2 and O-2 airplanes?  The later was UHF/VHF/HF/AM voice comm support.  But I put together their comm package for each mission, and briefed them on it.
  Look forward to seeing your progress.  Caley

Interesting, comms work, I am a amateur radio operator and have a home station here in the workshop. VHF 2M/ HF 80M 40M, 20 15 and 10 meters. For round the world communications. Many times, while building I am listenting to converstations from overseas, Europe, US, Canada, Japan, Australia. I have 3 antennas in the yard that receive and transmit up to 500 watts. Anyway I won't hijack my own thread. We can chat coms somewhere else...

Bruce

VE4BDF
Shoeless Communications
http://www.qrz.com/db/VE4BDF

Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »

I've Oz on 30 and 17 Bruce and NZ on 30 Wink (I've also India, Sri Lanka, Japan and China (mainland) and I never go over 50 Watts  Cheesy )

73 de Daithi, GI7OMY

http://www.qrz.com/db/gi7omy

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 12:24:15 AM »

Hi Bruce,

I was wondering what happened to your model.  It has sort of been off the 'air ways' for some time. 

Also, I think this is a very cool airplane and rubber powered RC.......... well, I gotta try this one of these days.

Don (waiting for more progress and posts)

keven64
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 08:09:06 AM »

I gave over with rubber power in '85 - haven't bothered with it at all since. Embarrassed

Instead, I concentrated again on making R/C models - with the 'new challenge' of with electric power - using motors and 6-cell batteries 'borrowed' from my Tamiya buggies !
My first 72" powered glider registered only 64db on the clubs noise meter - in 1986. Grin

I think I might have a go at making a similar size Bronco as this - though I'll draw my own plan.
Now to decide on which motors to use...

Keven. Smiley

sparkle
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 06:18:40 AM »

Grin  looking forward to seeing this project take shape!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »

Ok some progress on this project, and by far the most challenging. Canopy work, using the suggestions from the members here, I plung moulded the canopy. It was done in parts and sections as this was such a big canopy it could not be done all in one go. I had to form portions of it one at a time. Top, front and two sides. Then formed the canopy rails and rings in the normal way as per plan of 4 layers of 1/32 wet soaked and wraped on forms to dry over nite. Then building the canopy rails and adding plastic canopy sections to that. I am not so impressed with the effort but it will turn out better once detail and covering are going to be applied over all rail areas. I will look much better once it's all dressed up and detailed.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: OV-10 Bronco Twin Rubber Power RC -Build-

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »

Bruce,  I certainly would be very proud of such intricate work.  Great problem solving and great work.  Caley

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »

Looking good Bruce.  Nice work.

Don
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »

Looking good Bruce.  Nice work.

Don

Thanks Don, thanks Caley, it's these kinds of projects that push your limits of model building for the better. Even if one is not 100% satisfied with the result, one has to respect that fact that they have acieved their goal and be happy that it is a new step. This project is far from over, it is a big challenge for me as I am not building completely to the plan. I have made from balsa those parts that were specified as foam and I like working in wood most of all, so onward. Next steps some easy stuff like tail sections or fuselage booms.

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:32:27 AM by Sundance12 » Logged

Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 01:37:48 PM »

The Twin Tail Terror Lives!!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/09/why-is-america-using-these-antique-planes-to-fight-isis.html

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: