Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2018, 03:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Veco Kits  (Read 4907 times)
Caramango Mataratzo

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »

The sqaw was the first CL model my dad and I built
the second one we made was the first model I won a trophy with - all in the early 1970s

Carl
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 125

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »

The Squaw was also my first full-bodied, flapped model.  Flew it for around 10 flights before I misjudged the bottom pull-out height of that pesky figure "9".  The next aircraft was NOBLER #1 Smiley.

Wreckbender: Typo slipped in there.  I had meant to type OUTside loop.  Never could get the grip on the figure § Grin.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Garf
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »

The figure 9 was popular with Ringmasters using flimsy pushrods and no pushrod guides.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 125

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

The figure 9 was popular with Ringmasters using flimsy pushrods and no pushrod guides.
Saw a bunch of those, but mine was well braced Grin.  More likely caused by an electronic short circuit...

I realy liked the Veco kits, and wanted to get the Thunderbird, but my LHS only had Ringmasters and the Nobler in stock.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
GordV
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »

I have a Veco Hurricane, built in 1963, still flying. Had a Warrior, wing separated in flight due to an earlier nose over landing. Am currently building a Squaw 2 from hippocket plans and Lazer works parts.

MAAC 3738L, Life member
GordV
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »

Finished the Squaw 2 a while back!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Veco Kits

MAAC 3738L, Life member
snort3
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »

Brings back wonderful memories of watching my Dad fly the dickens out of the Warrior as well the Chief.  This was in the early 50's. We did a lot of CL as well as RC with home made radio receivers and big airplanes to handle the heavy batteries.  We had fun!  Snort3
snort3
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:20 PM »

If I can find a plan I just might build a modified job to fly as an RC model.  Dad would be pleased.  Snort3
logair358430
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 01:03:24 PM »

I built the Veco Squaw back around 1959-60 or so. Made two laps and it nosed over in an uncontrolled dive to  the ground. Upon examination it was found that the bellcrank nut had spun off from vibration resulting in control failure. That taught me a valuable lesson. From then on I used a fiber lock nut! Now I use a rod to mount the BC. Richard358430
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

Never could get the grip on the figure §

Just got task, curiosity is getting the best of me: What is the character after the word "figure" in the above quote?

Thanks

SD

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »

Never mind, I was able to Google it. It's not on any keyboard I've seen, and I don't know if I've ever seen it in use. Apparently, it's used in legal documents (which explains why I've never seen it)

"Wikipedia says: "The section sign (§, Unicode U+00A7, HTML entity §), also called the "double S", "sectional symbol" or signum sectiōnis, is a typographical character used mainly to refer to a particular section of a document, such as a legal code. "

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
LOUCRANE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 04:05:03 AM »

Not just to bump an OLD topic (I'm brand new here, you see...)

The later ad photos looked like the Squaw VECO kit I remembered. Wing structure was standard Bob Palmer: C-tube LE sheeting to surface ribs about 25% back from LE, two more spars well below surface at about 60% chord.

Fuselage: classic sheet-sided upright engine box with blocks or sheet top to give some shape to the side view. VECO kits had parts die-crushed, but slightly better wood and execution than Sterling kit equivalents. Flaps tapered as in the ad pix. My first flapped, built-up stunter was a Warrior.

Interesting note from Oz: Monty Tyrell built a "Buckjumper" allegedly after seeing an ad for the Squaw in a magazine. I built one for Old Time Stunt in the USA, and it was a sweet flyer. My error was to build it as a spark ignition entry. (It had sidewinder engine mounting, and spark plugs are just as expensive as they are fragile.) Have yet to master dependable spark flying, but gasoline (petrol) and auto oil exhaust does smell grand.

An Aussie on the Barton UK site discussed the Hearns Demon. Hearns was a hobby store and kit producer, as I recall his comments. The 'mate' worked as a helper in producing the Demon kit, and was given one for Christmas 1952. That establishes the Demon's 'provenance' as eligible for USA OTS. A friend, recently gone, flew one in OTS and enjoyed it.

/LOU
GordV
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 04:38:04 AM »

Finished another Veco kit, the Mustang....(made as a take apart with an Enya 25)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Veco Kits

MAAC 3738L, Life member
Rich Adams
Bronze Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »

Gord, very nice model. Beautifully finished. Takes me back to my C/L days in the 70's. I think I built one of those and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: