Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2018, 04:39:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Indoor Flying  (Read 21451 times)
Steven Wrigley
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »

Maybe..........

My other Saab's a jet!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »

Here are professional pictures from the 2011 Pikes Peak Ceiling Climb in Colorado Springs, CO on Feb. 27.

http://gazettephoto.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=34359456&event=1180527&CategoryID=55482&picnum=4&move=F&Slideshow=Stop#Image
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »

You can find all the pictures from the Colorado Springs indoor contest here.

http://gazettephoto.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=1180527&CategoryID=55482&ListSubAlbums=0
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »

Some more indoor flying...

Micro-B cruise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKS5lL4TnQA

F1D climb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J7fajTAiE

Stay tuned for footage with a VP prop...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Indoor Flying
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »

Josh,

Nice models. Good luck with your F1D journey.

On the EZB, how long is the motor stick?

The prop is a little off balance. Have you found the culprit?

Well done.

-Kang
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »

Here is proof that I flew a mini stick. My first time outside the living room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JY-EUwHwq8
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 06:39:25 PM »

Hi
Went to our monthly Indoor last night at at Ingle Farm. Very low attendance by the R/C flyers for some reason but the freeflighters were all there. I started off well by knocking the tail plane off my electric Prest Baby pursuit after a bad launch on its first flight of the night. Max made the 150klm trip down and brought along his 15 year old FLY ROD, complete with new tailplane to comply with the new rules. After a bit of tweaking it turned in a very nice flight. Jack was busy with his F1L and ended up landing on one of the ledges after being caught in a draught from an opened door. It was retrieved with no damage however. John had repaired his electric Tiger Moth after an incident last month and was worried it wouldn't fly, but to no ones surprise but John, it flew better than ever. Tim (THB) arrived about an hour late with a peanut BOREL AERO YACHT that he built that day! Apparently he had been busy all week with work, got up Saturday morning, blew up a plan and built it! Ill leave the details to Tim as hopefully he will will post on this beautiful model later.

Here is its 3rd only flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSvepqA91QE

Regards Dave
lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »

Very nice boys. Tim made a racer I saw in a Hannan's publication. It was a one wheeled racer? Can't remember the make of it. But I have never seen a plan for ir either.

Here is video of my Pushy galore doing it's thing until the rubber let go and bunched forward..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vE0L5Ym9x0

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
olddog
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 01:11:22 AM »

Lemuel. that was the "Farman" mono-wheel racer. His plan is a peanut. but there is a beautiful drawing that Bill did of another version. The plans are in one of his little booklets. If you need to know which one let me know. The books are still available from Hannans runway.

Ron
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »

Olddogy' which issue was it in?

THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:11 AM »

I woke up Sat morn dead grumpy that ONCE AGAIN I did not have anything new to fly at indoor. Then I had a sudden realisation that if I made something with an all sheet fuselage and single surface 'indoor type' wings... maybe I could get it built in what was left of the day...

I'd been looking at Schneider aircraft the night before in Mr Koutny's book - so I took it down to the library and blew up a peanut size 3-view... and off we went.

Funny how fast you can build when you have a deadline. An a few short cuts... plastic prop and LOTS of cyano means weight is about 10g.

The model is a Borel Aeroyacht - irresistable name - and was a 1913 Schneider entry at Monaco of 'Benoist' style, but much shorter wingspan. Thanks for the video Dave. Thrust line is 0-0. After some blue tack added to the end of the motor stick to fix the glide, it turned to the right straight off under power. I added some left rudder to open up the turn a little. Rubber is .070 - and this could be longer and thicker (.080) and maybe allow less nose-weight.

Here are some more pics.

Nice Pushy flight Matthew. The Farman monowheel racer was not a bad machine - pretty heavy. I built it back in the late 80's maybe? I have the plan somewhere if you're interested.
Kang your ministick is looking good... should we be worried? I think now you are building them that some category records may be under threat.

Tim

Tim
lemuel
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »

that is a fantastic effort for a few hours! If i could get a copy of the plan for the mono wheel racer that would be great.

RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »

Impressive Tim

At least 365 times faster than me (days in a year) but I hope to improve that ratio soon once my building kit is complete and in order. The delay is because I am planning ahead for the time when we may be forced to downsize our living space and I will have to part with all of my machine tools etc. Everything must go into appropriate boxes so that nothing gets lost or damaged when it gets moved Roll Eyes, I hope.

Paul
jmetcalf
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »

I woke up Sat morn dead grumpy that ONCE AGAIN I did not have anything new to fly at indoor. Then I had a sudden realisation that if I made something with an all sheet fuselage and single surface 'indoor type' wings... maybe I could get it built in what was left of the day...

I'd been looking at Schneider aircraft the night before in Mr Koutny's book - so I took it down to the library and blew up a peanut size 3-view... and off we went.

Funny how fast you can build when you have a deadline. An a few short cuts... plastic prop and LOTS of cyano means weight is about 10g.

The model is a Borel Aeroyacht - irresistible name - and was a 1913 Schneider entry at Monaco of 'Benoist' style, but much shorter wingspan. Thanks for the video Dave. Thrust line is 0-0. After some blue tack added to the end of the motor stick to fix the glide, it turned to the right straight off under power. I added some left rudder to open up the turn a little. Rubber is .070 - and this could be longer and thicker (.080) and maybe allow less nose-weight.

Here are some more pics.

Nice Pushy flight Matthew. The Farman monowheel racer was not a bad machine - pretty heavy. I built it back in the late 80's maybe? I have the plan somewhere if you're interested.
Kang your ministick is looking good... should we be worried? I think now you are building them that some category records may be under threat.

What a great little model seaplane... built in record time and flew well with minimal tweaking... well done Tim
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »

A few weeks ago I was asked to be a judge at the TSA state competition held Friday, Mar. 11 in Athens, Georgia. Last year I helped Gary Baughman judge the Flight Endurance event at the state finals. This year Gary couldn't do it, so he asked me to take over the gig. Dohrman Crawford and Nick Ray agreed to help so I thought we were in good shape. Last year we had four people - Gary and I checked in models and the other 2 judges timed flights. I was told that there would be volunteers around if we needed any more help. As a little background Dohrman and I are AMA CD’s with a considerable amount of experience. Also I have run several Georgia Science Olympiad state finals and all have gone reasonably well. All this background is to let you know that I wasn’t particularly worried about running this competition.

Around the middle of the week this feeling started to change. Earlier I had been asked if we could also judge the middle school Flight event. I had no idea what this event was about so asked for rules. I was sent rules for both events which I printed out to refer to a day or two before the event to get prepared. Around the beginning of the week I started looking at the rules and schedule and noticed that there was an hour overlap in the events. Since the Flight event involves on site construction of balsa gliders this sounded like a big problem. I was assured that it wasn’t since the kids would be building the gliders on Thursday and not on Friday when the flying would take place. I pointed out that glider building was not on the schedule for Thursday. At that point I think I was branded as a troublemaker and no one communicated with me further about my perception of the schedule problem.

Another warning sign started flashing when I read that there was to be a team of 10 people to judge Flight Endurance. There was to be an Event Coordinator (a description they apparently no longer use), three judges (us), three assistants and three other people whose job descriptions I’ve forgotten. I suddenly realized – and this was confirmed in an email – that I was not the Event Coordinator (or whatever the current description is). I was assured that the three of us plus the EC would be able to handle the event.

There is more background but I’m sure you’re getting a sense of the way things were going. So - that brings me to our arrival on site Friday around noon, where we were served lunch during the judges orientation meeting for our two events. It was here that I discovered that all events have to have three judges. It is the duty of all three judges to record individual score sheets for each competitor. That meant that each of us had to time and record every flight of every contestant and do all of the other scoring, grading and calculations required. At the end of the event ALL of these score were to be copied to a master score sheet, the teams ranked and the score sheets signed by each judge and notarized (actually I just added the part about notarizing).

A few minutes before the 1:00 start time for MS Flight (where the building part actually had taken place the day before) we made our way to the hall where the two competitions – and MANY more – were to be held. In one corner of the huge room we found neat rows of Da Vinci era gliders. Out of over twenty gliders there were three or four that had dihedral and looked possibly capable of flight. There was no Event Supervisor around, no kids to go with the gliders and no TSA-provided catapult that I had been assured would be there. After the three of us had wandered around for awhile trying to locate someone with a clue we came across another bewildered looking man with a box of catapults and a growing mob of kids with gliders who were grabbing catapults so as to do their “test” flying. Since I had looked fairly carefully at the specs for the catapult I noticed right away that one of them was made backwards. I convinced the bewildered gentleman to put that one back in the box. Next I noticed that instead of the Tan SS rubber specified for the catapults most of them were equipped with Office Depot rubber bands. I decided that this was close enough.

Kids were running around firing gliders in all directions while hundreds of people were walking through the area on their way to other events. I managed to call a halt to all missile firings and also managed to convince some TSA-looking bystander that a horrible accident was about to happen. A decision was made to fly the gliders in the same space where test flying of Flight Endurance models was taking place (illegally). Eventually we managed to herd all the Flight Endurance people back to their tables and the glider “flying” commenced. Some of the gliders had already been broken so the kids held them together and launched the pieces (no repairs were allowed). Several key provisions of the rules were not followed by many of the kids. Since there had apparently been no guidance of any kind as to what would make a glider actually fly we decided to ignore these violations. After a couple of hours all the kids had done their four flight attempts and no one had been injured in the process. The winning glider made a huge loop, rolled left as it approached a second loop and settled in for a series of stalls for a little over 6 seconds. Most flights were shorter than 2 seconds – a lot shorter.

Having survived MS Flight we started organizing for Flight Endurance. I had a check-in gauge and a couple of scales to make the process easier. After checking in the first eight or ten kids’ models, the Event Supervisor (or whatever) showed up and started barking orders at the kids. It turns out that each kid had to have their model and their box checked and then was to receive a stick-on tag that had to be displayed somewhere before they could fly. The actual flying was pretty uneventful compared to the rest of what had happened during the day. Somewhere after 6:00 the last kid made his last flight and there was nothing left except to grade about thirty notebooks and transfer ALL of the scores from about ninety scoresheets (thirty fliers x three judges) to the summary sheet. At this point a miracle happened and the Event Supervisor offered to do this chore for us. She also recommended a nearby Italian restaurant which turned out to be outstanding.

The end result of the day was that no one died, the food and the (several) beers were great and we all got back home to Atlanta in one piece.

Head Judge
Bill Gowen
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »

Tim,

That's a great story. The model sure doesn't look like it was put together in one day. You surely didn't pick an easy subject. It looks fabulous.

The day before a flying session, I rarely think of making a new model, although I have on short notice. I'm almost always thinking about another combination of prop, rubber width, rubber weight for more 1/4 or 1/6 partial motor testing for 110' (USIC), 160' (Tustin), 185' (Lakehurst) ceilings. On Fridays, I fly in a middle school gym with a 29' ceiling, so it is perfect for 1/4 and 1/6 motor testing. I almost always focus on at most two models. I find that it's very hard to think clearly about more than one or two models in one flying session.

We all have fun in our own ways!

As to the ministick, I must admit that they are very cool and cute. I had the wrong impression that they are like fast flying hummingbirds. They are actually gentle and floaty fliers. Right now, I don't have the time and mind space to learn to fly them really well. Flying the EZB and F1L is more than enough for me.

I forgot to take videos this past Friday but will remember at the upcoming session.

Went Indoor Flying,
-Kang
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »

Bill,

I'm glad you, the other judges, and *all* the students survived.

I think it's critical that indoor modelers get involved with Science Olympiad, TSA, and other school science events, as mentors, coaches, or event coordinators.

-Kang
olddog
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »

Lemuel: You just had to ask me that didn't you. Now you didn't specify which plan so here goes: The three view by Bill Hannan is in Peanuts & Pistachios Vol. No. 5, and is the Farman 370. The "peanut" plan is in Model Plans & 3-view International and is the Farman 380 drawn by M. E. Bollman at 1/20 th scale. Just spent a full day with my 11 year old grandaughter downhill skiing. and she sure can wear you out in a hurry. Colour was medium blue with white lettering. Hope this is some help.

Ron (old dog)
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 12:45:18 AM »

Went flying Friday night at the local middle school. I flew my F1L, using 1/2 motors for Kent (50') and 1/4 motors for USIC (108'). The video is a little long and includes snippets from about 5 different flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_cYe8ITo3k

Earlier I made a new and larger propeller for my F1L. The photo shows the new prop compared to the old prop. You might also see that this prop is big compared to the model. In the video, starting at about 1:00, the model flies with the new prop. You can see that the new prop turns slower than the old one, shown at the beginning of the video up to about 1:00.

Enjoy.

-Kang
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »

Went flying today at the Peach State Indoor Championships h.eld in our great Cat 1 site at St. Lukes Presbyterian church near Atlanta, GA. It was an eventful day thanks partly to the hordes of kids from Tim Lavendar's Smyrna, TN church flying group. MANY models filled the air all day long. Tim flew his canard GeeBee which is one of my most favorite models in the world.

Joshua "Maxout" Finn showed up with a gaggle of amazing models. Joshua set a new state record for helicopters with a 2:47 flight and a new FAC Phantom Flash record with a 3:30 3 flight total. Joshua also flew his F1D with VD prop. I have great respect for anyone who can build and fly an F1D but also getting a VD prop to actually work is a major accomplishment.

I wound my LPP to the max with a Cat 2 motor and did a personal best and new state record of 9:33. Also today I got WIF5 (SCLG) trimmed to launch and do the first circle inside the 25' wide high part of the gym. This meant that I could use full power launches for the first time in that site. My official score was 75.3 seconds for 2 flights with a couple of self timed flights close to 40 seconds. Now I think it's time to build a lighter model and try to get over the 40 second hump.

My new F1L was damaged when the air conditioning was turned on while I was getting ready to launch for a last flight of the day. A wise person would have packed it in but I launched anyway. Now my nice new wing has a hole right in the middle - to match the one in my head!

For those who haven't seen it there's a picture of the St. Lukes gym below. This has become my favorite place to fly.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »

Went Flying at Ingle Farm. Trev has been working with newly interested modellers Peter and son Ryan building DH Beaver semi-scale models. Trev's flies well - and we expect that -  but really gratifying was to see both Peter and Ryan get their first time models into the air with great success. Well done guys. I saw Ryan's model make some good trimming flights and managed to catch Peter on video (with Ryan also camera-in-hand). Trev has modified a Walt Mooney bostonian plan - increasing the size and adding an extra rib bay to each wing for this project and has acted as guide and mentor along the way in building sessions over the last month or so. Congrats all. Now I want to build one too!

Dave had his usual squadron of scale designs on patrol, John was flying bostonians and other lightweights with renewed vigour with some newly stripped rubber, Max put in a good display also (but we're awaiting his first F1D which is getting closer!), Jack is making progress with F1L, getting a much floatier 'sit' last night which is great. I was all talk and no action...  a couple of test flights and a lot of fluffing around. Must try harder as my old school teacher used to say...

One of Peter's flights here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mozzomatic?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/cmevEzGbqBM (or here if you want a faster download: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mozzomatic?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/2R-V5y5UF1w)

Bill - well done on successes at the StLuke's site. Looks like there are some great benefits to being able to trim tight and get models into the narrower ceiling space - is that hard to do? What circle diameter are you flying your LPP?

Kang - we really like your EZB/F1L videos. A few of us are going to build F1Ls for an event later in the year.

cheers
Tim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:25:59 AM by Ratz » Logged

Tim
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »

Tim
Some people like to trim rubber models to fly in the narrow high part of the room. This gives you about 8 or 10 extra feet of space but it's dangerous. There are basketball goals retracted into the high space that can catch a model very easily. I like to trim for a circle size that is larger than the high channel so I can climb into the channel and then walk down the wall to the low part. Besides giving high flight times there is also the advantage that you can fly with a full Cat 4 motor and launch torque to test full torque launches. The LPP flight climbed for about 30 seconds and then banged in and out of the high channel for about 6 more minutes before cruising. This was also the technique I used for my A6 record in January. For F1M flights with VP I'm happy to stay under the low ceiling.
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »

Tim,

Glad that you Adelaide guys are enjoying the EZB and F1L videos.  I'm very interested to hear about your F1L contest.  F1L is my favorite indoor duration class because it's something a novice can tackle.  The models are very high performance and fly beautifully -- yet requires fairly simple construction.  Consider that the Cat IV F1L record is 32 minutes!

Our local club will have an LPP contest in June.  It will be the first indoor duration contest for the San Diego club in a very long time.  Typically, the contest is for stick and tissue models like phantom flash.  Perhaps we can also hold an F1L contest later in the year.

-Kang
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 03:48:09 AM »

Kang
Just watched your latest video and am in awe of how graceful they fly. Please keep them coming.
regards Dave
ykleetx
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »

Good news.  The F1L you have seen came in 3rd place.  It was a close call from getting first, but John Kagan and Jim Richmond beat me.

The EZB that you have seen in the videos came in 1st place. 

Read about the competition and results in this report, courtesy of John Kagan and the AMA.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/0528-2911report.pdf

Photos are next.

Enjoy.

-Kang
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: