Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2018, 05:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Indoor Flying  (Read 21453 times)
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2015, 05:53:12 AM »

Grin my local flying club held its annual glider contest last night.  my glider didn't do so well. Sad

jim Grin
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: January 17, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »

Grin got back into it tonite. i flew the fsi zero, the SWOOSE by AL CLEAVE The comet SUPERCUB, as well as two NO CALS A P40B AND AND A P40Q

ZERO  needs a longer rubber and is totally unsuitable for indoors.  i will need to make trim adjustments an then rebalance for outdoor flyinh in the spring

SWOOSE took off , climbed and smashed into the gym wall.  the nose was destroyed.  currently undergoing rhinoplasty and is resting comfortably in hospital

PIPER SUPERCUB.  YES IT FLIES but it needs too much space to fly indoors.

no cals   both were flown successfully requiring a wee bit o weight in the nose  i am quite satified with the dobble motor stick running down the center of the fuselage.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Indoor Flying
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: January 31, 2016, 08:31:54 PM »

Grin back at it this week. 

SWOOSE was successfully repaired and was tested. I put a drag tab on the left wing tip and didn't that sucker fly.  i got 5 flights, the plane climbing to 12 ft and doing a lap around the gym kissing each wall before coming home to papa!  everyone there was impressed. can't wait to get it outside where it belongs.

bell 18 inch p40  still working on adjustments.  plane hasd a mid air with an rc plane so its now going to hospital.

GUILLOWS 500 SPIFIRE  Flew nicely

comet 20 inch SPITFIRE  ditto. a few kinks but is coming along fine.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:18 PM »

Grin  swoose was the star of the evening .  she didn't fly as high so I guess the rubber is wearing out

comet corsair still needed tweeking as did the two Bell P40s  they are getting there though one got tabbed to death so now I know what to twist and in which direction.

My GAR tony also flew it is underpowered so 2 loops will go in for its next performance.

We had a new recruit tonite who came with a Guillows type stick flyer and a lot of enthusiasm.  Hopefully he can maintain the interest.  i told him about hippocket and he plans to eyeball the site.

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »

Jim, is the Swoose full size, or reduced?

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »

Grin full sized (24 inches). plan is under "guide to model airplanes" in the gallery

jim Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 81

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2016, 06:08:29 PM »

Antoinette aside, it was another very pleasant day at the Velodrome today. Good to see everyone and some good flying from others. For instance, Tim's twin Mustang looking much better now. I mostly missed Ralph's Bristol Scout again; I was too busy faffing with my own model to be honest. Also- some VERY nice, long slow scale glider flights by Ian Lever. Looked to be a little mainly foam job (one if those trainers with the open lattice fuslage) which he launched on a running tow. Could be a contender!

I got a couple of half goes with my Aerographics Albatros at the end of the day. It was underpowered, but I can confirm that its new lack of dihedral didn't worry it at all and it looked a lot better in the air without it, if I do say so myself. Bill's Veron Nieuport, with its completely flat top wing, looked good on the flight I happened to see.
Dave Crompton's fleet were mostly going well too. Sorry no pictures at all from me this time. It's the Antoinette's fault!
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: March 05, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »

A few vids from the Manchester Velodrome meeting on Feb 27th. I didn't get many and some models seemed to deliberately misbehave when the camera was pointed at them (why do they do that so often!). Dave Crompton had a good day and here are two flights of his P-40 and one of his Piper super cruiser.

https://youtu.be/i2wkdyMrv4A
https://youtu.be/5wofMH8X-t8
https://youtu.be/MplG8DjsWAU

Tim
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: March 10, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »

Tim
Thanks for sharing. Isn't it normal, that at the end of the day, the best flights are never on the picture or video?
But the flights you captured look nice to me. It seems that you had fun anyway.
Did you fly your twin-mustang?
Best regards Roman
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: March 10, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »

Thanks for the films Tim. Now this velodrome thing is a REAL indoor site. Would like to come and have a session with you  Roll Eyes

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »

Thanks for the films Tim. Now this velodrome thing is a REAL indoor site. Would like to come and have a session with you  Roll Eyes

Urs

It is only about 1/2hr from Manchester Airport.  You could it in a day. Smiley   Unfortunately I think that was the last event until next autumn.

Ralph
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »

Grin flew in the gym tonite.
1) swoose flew like an ace
2)comet stormovik flew fine., needs cosmetics
3) p40 profile flew in ever diminish circles probably needs bigger tail fweathers
40 BELL P 40.  WEE BIT O WEIGHT ON TIP GOT IT TO WORK  NOW IT NEEDS TO TURN
5) p37 NEEDED WEIGHT IN COCKPIT.  IT STARTED OUT WITH LONG SLOW GLIDE SO I MOVE C G BACK AND NOW ITS STARTING TO BEHAVE

ADJUSTMENTS DON'T TAKE MUCH.  ALL WILL GET MORE power for outdoors

jim Grin Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »

Another fun session at Clayton-le-Green yesterday. Good to see you all. It was the annual Peanut and Kit Scale comps this time. In Clayton Kit Scale rules, duration (up to 40 seconds) actually counts, so I wasn't going to be competitive but just to have something less embarrassing than my now VERY tatty Fairchild Argus to enter I spent a day or two patching up and rebuilding the crumpled lower wing of my Aerographics Albatros. Unfortunately it now refuses to take off though. I think everything is now just too skewiff, the wheels don't track true any more and the numerous repairs have added weight. So it scored zilch and now will be retired and hung from my workshop ceiling. Here's one last pic before it becomes a hangar queen. Most of my other kit builds are too big or too wide-circling for comfort in the Clayton hall but I've high hopes for my VMC SE5 and Camel once built. I may have to start going a bit smaller for indoors now that the Velodrome seems to be out of commission and the VMC range could be just the job.

Fortunately I had a couple of other things with me to fly for fun yesterday,  so still an enjoyable afternoon, and there was some very nice stuff to watch from others in the comps. Tim's new Goodyear racer 'Californian' peanut foamie was very interesting (see it on SFA!). I think Reg Boor won Peanut with his Arado and very well done Ralph, and also Dave Crompton, who got podiums in both Kit Scale and Peanut.
Didn't take any pics except for this rather blurred one of my favourite new model present on the day: a very tidy Dumas Pitts Special by Mark Brill. As a boy I had a big poster of three of these Rothmans Pitts flying in formation. I believe Mark got his flying yesterday but I missed it. Hopefully we'll see it outdoors too before long.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »

Re the Camel..Did they sort you out with the right one?

And also do you remember that huge lump of lead that I gave you a while back? Cheesy Grin Grin

I have renamed mine the "flying noseweight". The fact it is it flies fine but that short nose needs plenty - so take some with you... Grin

Andrew

Klunk
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: January 08, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

They said return it and they'll exchange no problem so I'll send the KK one back tomorrow.
Thanks for the warning; I'll be sure to have some lead ready! SE5A will be first though.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »

Goodnew on the SE5, as you probably know that one doesn't have the desire for quite so much lead... It was one of the reasons I was keen to do it defore some of the other usual WW1 types  Grin

Glad that they will sort it out for you...

Andrew

Klunk
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 57

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »

I was hoping to see you guys at Peterborough yesterday ...as long as you are having fun somewhere  Smiley

I had an overnight stop at Peterborough so that I could take in both the regular Friday club night and the indoor meeting too.
Won a Dumas Fairchild FC-2 in the club quiz and then an enjoyable meet at Bushfield.

I gave my Pietenpol peanut it's first outing in a while ... can't believe that this model is over 12 years old now.
Didn't put that many winds on so was happy with a circuit or two.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: January 08, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »

At least a couple of VMC Tiger Moths there (as well as people clutching VMC kit boxes at various points over the weekend)

I think this is Graham Gostick's ...
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »

Thanks for the pic Russ.

I was going to be there, I had planned on going but as you probably know Richard Granger is not so well at the moment, and he couldn't make it then John C. was a bit poorly too so I decided to sit this one out.  Part of the fun going down there is spending time with the NMAC chaps, we have a good natter and as laugh in the car on the journey to and fro...

Sorry I missed you...

Andrew

Klunk
RalphS
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »

I think Reg Boor won Peanut with his Arado
Actually the Bristol Scout won it  -  I have the certificate Grin     I liked Reg's Berlin (prone pilot) twin. 
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »

Well done Ralph  Smiley .... didn't see the Scout fly as I had hoped to (at the 2016 indoor nats) .... hope to this year.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »

I think Reg Boor won Peanut with his Arado
Actually the Bristol Scout won it  -  I have the certificate Grin     I liked Reg's Berlin (prone pilot) twin.  

Oops! Sorry Ralph- very well deserved too!

Come to think of it, Reg's Arado might have been his Kit Scale entry anyway. They'll be a proper report from Tom on the Clayton site soon I'm sure so I'll post a link to set the record straight. I didn't have a proper look at Reg's new twin peanut, but it looked interesting from a distance. He certainly picks 'em!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: January 09, 2017, 07:03:07 AM »

As promised, here's a link to Tom Tomlinson's report on the Clayton Flyers' site with the correct competition results: http://www.creativesweb.co.uk/clayton/news.html

Whilst you're there you might like to click on the gallery's last page for a shot of Reg Boor's weird German peanut twin as well as a better photo of Mark Brill's Pitts.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: January 09, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »

Pete, how big is the Clayton site and roughly where is it? I read the report and was amused to see the bit at the end about people standing around in the middle of the hall looking gormless while models fly into them. Similar to the episode of Andrew┬┤s Corsair on a recent video. This has always been the case. One chap, no longer with us, was famed for being hit on the back of the legs while admiring his flights from the epicentre, usually followed by a backward step...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:48:23 AM by billdennis747 » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »

Bill, it's at Chorley (PR6 7TL) and is a reasonable size. Probably similar to Bushfield for instance. Models up to 25" span or so seem to get round okay if trimmed and there's quite a high ceiling albeit with the usual girders, winched up basketball hoops etc. Light's a bit dimmish but that's par for the course.

Despite Tom's comment on the website, I didn't think there was all that much standing about in the middle on Saturday (hope that doesn't mean I was the culprit!). A few of the chaps there have a bit of a struggle getting onto the floor to launch with dodgy knees, backs etc. so I think it's a bit much to expect some of them to hobble right back to the edge every single time. Also, someone was flying a Lacey: Do we really need to get out of the way of THOSE!? Grin

Perhaps the BMFA could issue us all with electric 'Davros' style chairs like John Barker's started using. He's the fastest mover bar none at Clayton these days!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:59:16 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: