Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2017, 04:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: new build - doggy style  (Read 1802 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 06:33:33 AM »

Si,
you want to try to get that "loopiness" OUT.  On the 6 inchers cut a strip of normal bond paper of ~1/16th" wide and 1/4" long and glue-stick it the the bottom TE of the stab.  Try a half pull - if it still wants to loop, increase the tab.  You might find that you'll need a bit LESS noseweight - you're wanting to get as straight a climb as possible and still have that roll-out on top.   Increase the pull and make adjustments to maintain the launch/flight pattern.

Same proceedure for the 8 inchers, with the exception of using 1/32 balsa for the tabs - sanded to a wedge shape - prepare a strip 1/8th inch wide.  Take a small sanding block/pad with you to the field to fine tune the tab.  You can actually fine tune the climb/glide with the choice of WHERE on the TE you attach the tab.

I constantly lose sight of the 6'ers on launch.  They REALLY need a dark color on the bottom and bright colors on top (white is also very good).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Si2

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

Pit
My little katze was sprayed black underneath - I took the stab off and stuck it on at zero incidence and it still looped, so I'm not that gutted at losing it.
These things are pretty disposable, you never know someone might pick it up and discover aeromodelling...

here's a pic of it a few weeks ago about to touch down. Its glide path was great, but it's power phase was entertaining!

The different version I built had no looping tendancies at all - real nice swoopy launch and pretty good transition.
I built these with zero decelage and also a flat bottomed wing with triangular section.

It's blowing a hoolie again tonight, so i might finish the wing on the second one tonight and be ready for the good weather with a pair.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: new build - doggy style
Skymon
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 07:24:03 AM »

I'm back!
Changed my log in name as I forgot my old details.
I have moved on a lot since 2011!
I moved house four times and my fistful of balsa suffered Smiley

Last week I spent £6 on wood and £3 on glue and this is the result....

Last night was a perfect night to launch these beauties, but I spent it at the archery range instead.
Hoping the gorgeous British weather continues to the weekend where I'll be pinging wood skyward again...

Skymon
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 06:45:24 AM »

I had a great session last Thursday in perfect conditions.
Took the kids down the park and we shot everything we had skywards.
I ended up with a number of casualties, but that's how things go.
The sweepette in the picture managed a 47 second flight and we had a number of 40+ second flights.
The most we got with the little 6" hlgs was a 22 second wonder.
All gliders are now repaired and ready to hit the sky again.
Some grabs from a little video attached.
Si
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:55:56 AM by Skymon » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: