Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2017, 05:22:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Half Size Wakefield Models  (Read 11923 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »

Oh yes...I remember seeing it in FMD&C awhile back and I have that mag...E. Fillon and Rene Jossein were 2 of the great French designers and builders of 8 oz. Wakes...did you know that E. Fillon has the only miniature Wakefield Cup he won in '37?
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »

Yes, really nice, really interesting looking wakefield, would be nice to see a build of this! While we're at it, looking at that really nice page of old wakefields, there were two others that caught my eye that maybe someone has some knowledge about. One was the '1959 Surpriz. Designed by Rene Jossien', nice looking low wing design. The other was the '1929 Wakefield. Designed by R. N. Bullock', another nice looking low-wing design. They don't pop up in any quick searches.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: October 06, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »

Yep...that '29 wake by Bullock really goes back to the hardwood and oiled silk era and tons of rubber...Pelly-Fry also had a real sweet looking low winger as well and was a excellent flyer...I've always wanted to build an old rubber job with traditional materials and I've laid in a stock of spruce sticks to do it and some old silk. The only thing stopping me is a good twin rubber gear box or I guess I could cobble one up. Or, here's a thought, just build it out of balsa and tissue and go with a single motor?...Something more to add to the growing list of winter (next week) projects...but the idea of building a traditional Wakefield model from the 20's is neat because I'd really like to see what that was all about and see one in the air and go through the building process- actually nailing things together...WOW
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2017, 01:51:28 AM »

Hi All,
I am hunting for the plans for Evans' Vansteed and Clipper wakefields. hope some one can help.

thanks in advance.

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »

I'm drawing up the Yankee IV.  Have the drawing to prototype-build state, Now I need to layout the parts and laser-cut them.

24" span, 56 sq. in., 18.5" fuselage length.

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Yankee lV is not legal for FAC 1/2 Wake as it was post-1950 unless someone knows he flew it in 1950...Tangney's Wakefield is a killer design
and slender for it's day and Josh Finn flies my drawing of it and reports it flies good...full size, it should go like stink...try SAM 35 mag or Aeromodeller for the others
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »

Hi Dave,

I understand that response regarding the publication date of January 1951 M.A.N. and the FAC Rules cutoff is 31 Dec 1950, however I would like to challenge that as here is a clip from the text of the article:

http://volareproducts.com/files/YankeeIVdoc.jpg

Note that he lists several contest where the model performed and won - which must have been prior to 31 Dec 1950.

Thoughts?

--george
Half Size Wakefield Models

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 215

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »

If publication date was January 1951 then it was likely on the bookstands in December '50;  in any case it would have been prepared for publication before that date
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »

I think  you're right but until I see the numbers "1950" I ain't buying it...you and I both know what "assume" means...this model is very good and pleasing to the eye
and has a great modern track record both here and abroad in the contests lists...it would be interesting if someone could verify a newstand release date as Jim suggests...
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »

Is the 1/2 size Tangney plan available?
flyfac
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »

Thinking you may need to lawyer up, George. 

My own web searches support your assertion that the Yankee IV was definitely designed and competing in 1950, but the verbage in the current FAC Rulebook focuses on publication dates rather than contest participation: 

V-6.0 1/2 WAKEFIELD

Event open to any 4oz or 8oz Wakefield published from 1934 through Dec. 31, 1950.

That said, if you get FACGHQ to sign off (and maybe even if they don't), I'll be ordering your kit.

Best,

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »

A classic example of FAC/SAM/Nostalgia FAI-like rule lawyering Grin

Scot, is there any FAC contest flying in Oregon or Washington?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
flyfac
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:31 PM »

Hi Derek,

I'm guessing the Yankee IV will still be a threat to fly away, no matter what the courts decide. :-)

Despite my best intentions to kick start some FAC flying here in the greater Portland area, kids and a home remodeling projects have eaten up yet another flying season.  The SAM 8 group up in Seattle still meets and flies regularly, and the FAC Eagle Squadron used to piggyback some FAC events on to their meets when we had a quorum.  The Willamette Modelers Club also runs a regular series of meets, though the emphasis is on AMA, FAI, and SAM.

Any flying happening out your way?

Scot
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »

I will definitely plead my case to the rules committee (?)

Scot, you are (obviously) correct in the terminology, however, those particular 1/2 Wake rules are inconsistent with the terminology for the other OT events ("...designed, kitted, or plan published before January 1..."), so there is hope!

--g

flyfac
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »

Hi George,

I'd start with a note to Dave Mitchell.  He chimes in occasionally here on HPA and, aside from an occasional obsession with model aviation, seems an eminently reasonable sort :-).

Scot
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »

Hi Derek,

The Willamette Modelers Club also runs a regular series of meets, though the emphasis is on AMA, FAI, and SAM.

Any flying happening out your way?

Scot

There is only one other Free flight guy in the Tri-Cities that i know of. No Free Flight activity to speak of. I attend many of the WMC contests.  Do you think there would be any interest if I could convince the WMC to add FAC events to their contests? They do a lo-doc rubber scale event right now. They might be interested if we had several flyers willing to show up?

Derek
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2017, 10:06:34 PM »

Derek I would be very interested in FAC personally and might be able to convince another Calgarian to attend.

B

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2017, 11:39:13 PM »

Derek I would be very interested in FAC personally and might be able to convince another Calgarian to attend.

B

Cool. I started another thread so that we don't cause anymore thread drift here.  Head on over and join the discussion.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22463.0
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:58:16 PM by DerekMc » Logged

Derek
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

The "49'er" is another nice design along the same lines as the Yankee IV and is from OZ...I think the designer is Col Williamson...and yes the 1/2 size Wake rules could be written much better but, at this stage, I'm hesitant to give any advice because the FAC is not my cup of tea and I'd rather fly larger stuff...I still feel the cut-off dated of 12/31/50 is still valid but I'd drop the addition of 4 oz. era models...once again, the 30's and 40's are NOT my Golden Age...sorry about this soap box stuff.
Dave P
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 83

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »

Tangney's Wakefield is a killer design
and slender for it's day and Josh Finn flies my drawing of it and reports it flies good...full size, it should go like stink...

Still flyin' it, still loving it. I need to find full size plans for it...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »

Maxout...try SAM 1066 site...it has a article about it also...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »

The attached are pics of my 1/2 size 40 gram 'wake...I had the prop assembly, stab and wing from an earlier attempt and mated it to a new fuselage rolled from 1/32" sheet...it flies great and I think I'll build another one based on Thomas Koster's 1965 winner
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Half Size Wakefield Models
Re: Half Size Wakefield Models
Pat D
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »

Great looking wake there !
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »

Thanks Pat D...I will build another one but NO CARBON FIBER TREES WILL BE HARMED IN ITS CREATION...it is fun to play around with and it does perform very well in calm conditions and I will do a little more research into areas, moment arm and prop efficiency...hopefully this will up to a full size 40 gram wake to mess around with
because I'm a Luddite at heart when it comes to my love of wakes and I like to build everything myself...which raises the question in my mind : can a 30 gram wake be built out of traditional materials and do fairly well? I'm thinking minimum wing area, big prop and VIT.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »

"can a 30 gram wake be built out of traditional materials and do fairly well? I'm thinking minimum wing area, big prop and VIT."

Depends what you mean by 'fairly well.'  I can see a well flown luddite 30 gram F1B making the flyoff.  It's the 5+ minute rounds that would be a BIG challenge!  I say go for it though!  Don't know for sure unless you give it a shot.

Derek
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: