Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 18, 2018, 09:35:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kang LPP challenge  (Read 1196 times)
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 57

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »

Kang Lee has given me endless grief about my motors being heavier than anyone else's. He said he would stop if I could fly 8 minutes no-touch in our 22'-3" site at St. Lukes church with a motor that was at least 2.5 grams. I didn't quite win the challenge but I had flights of 7:59, 8:23, 9:00 and 8:31 on a 2.55g x 22.5" motor with a few light ceiling hits on all 4 flights. Next time I might try 3g motors!
green-man
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

One of my F1D VP propeller hubs - weight 104 mg.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:42:31 AM »

Hmmmmmm Undecided.

Can Kang do 8:00 no-touch under 22/23' no touch with that weight of flubber???

Is there a challenge you can set him as a riposte Grin?

Nick.
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:28:43 AM »

Well done, Bill.  Flying on 2.6g of rubber is crazy and apparently crazy good!  I have no idea what kind of black magic you used, but the stop watch says it all.
The black magic probably has something to do with Bill's prop.  But who knows. 

Nick, I can probably do only a 6:30 under the same conditions, using a 1.8g motor.  I had thought that to do best at 22', the LPP should use very light rubber (but thick).  Bill has proven me wrong.

-Kang
green-man
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

One of my F1D VP propeller hubs - weight 104 mg.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »

Greetings Kang,

I wondered if my message would 'smoke you out'!

Better try some 1/4" flat Grin

Nick.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »

Hmmmmmm Undecided.

Can Kang do 8:00 no-touch under 22/23' no touch with that weight of flubber???

Is there a challenge you can set him as a riposte Grin?

Nick.

Nick
His part of the challenge was that he would quit bugging me if I did the 8 minutes no-touch. It may be that I got close enough to gain a moral victory. Time will tell.

The first part of my low ceiling theory (if you want to call it that) is that you need a lot of torque at the end of the flight to keep the model in the air. The other part of of the theory is that you only need a tiny bit more torque at the beginning of the flight to keep from climbing too much. With a fixed pitch prop the most logical way to meet both criteria is with a long heavy motor. The motor that I used for all 4 good flights was actually made for USIC in May of this year.
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »

Hi, Bill.

Can you share the prop info on these low ceiling flights? I am assuming it is different than the props used for higher ceiling venues.

I was trying a larger prop on Thursday, wider with thinner wood, lots of flare, 24" pitch. I was able to break 5 minutes (5:12 or 5:20, I forgot to write it down) in the Burr Ridge gym, which is similar in height.
I was using 0.095 Super Sport, not sure of the length. I made up another motor of TanII, same dims/length and only got 4:30 or so with the same launch torque.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Olbill
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

Mike
It's the same prop I used at USIC and at Tustin in December (17:45 no-touch flight). I started out with 22" pitch and changed to 24" when I was having to back off too much of the mid range torque. The prop is described elsewhere on this board. It was originally made for Lakehurst with the spar mounted toward the middle of the blades. Last year I messed up my flaring prop hub so I removed the blades and remounted them with the spar closer to the TE of the blades. I'm getting ready to go fly. I'll try to post a picture later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: