Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gollywock Build  (Read 8230 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »

OOPS! the date that I built my Golly SHOULD have read 1961 Embarrassed. A LOOONG time ago!

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »

The Czech P-30 prop may look out of place but once it is wound up and sent on it's way Up then is when you say it's ok.

I have one on a Sparky and it really moves out quickly. The yellow one is my favorite for old timer as well as P-30. Kiss
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »

Grin I also use the yellow Czech p-30 when I fly my Korda Victory. The hub is stronger I think than the hub of the Peck polymer prop.
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »

Aren't all the Ikara P-30 props the same, blue, yellow, red, black?

-G

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 84

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2009, 04:17:28 PM »

Ok... the FAC limitations: diameter per plan or 1/3rd span for OT, no folding or feathering props. That's it.

The rationale for banning folders/featherers is to control performance, but Deloach quotes only a 30 sec advantage from the folder for his Golly. At over 3 minutes with the FW prop, the performance limitation seems pointless, as the FAC 2 minute maxes kill the advantage of the folder. You'd never get the change past Ross, though.

It is a useful limitation in scale, though, as many scale jobs don't lend themselves well the folders while others would see a noticeable advantage (particularly in 15% rule events).

I personally can't see any reason for not using the maximum propeller diameter allowed for the GW. If it doesn't climb fast enough for your liking, add more rubber. These rascals will easily take 16x1/8x50g, maybe more.
Randy Ryan

« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »

Randy, I believe that FAC does allow balsa props. Duco just prefers the plastic one over an equivalent balsa prop (don't know why... seems to me that if one made a lighter balsa version of the ikara prop one would get even better performance no??).

So it would seem to me as well, I know I can get better performance from my own props. But still, to limit the little skyrocket Golly to a freewheeler, no thanks, balsa or not.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2009, 05:59:37 PM »

Hi All,
I have another golly in the works (last one flew into the wild blue at Lost hills a few years ago). Here are a couple of shots of the bones.... the prop is a... well... a prop. I will receive a nice new one from http://www.hobbyspecialties.com/ in a few days or so.

the weight is 30 grams with everything except tissue. I am hoping to bring her in at under 50g all up weight.

B
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Gollywock Build

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 235

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »

Bernard, Your model looks great. The weight is fantastic. Hopefully you will get a few flights before it too, goes OOS, especially at that light weight. And thank you for the link to the Hobby Specialties, Never knew this existed. I'll be getting a prop for my Gollywock kit sometime next year.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Tag

« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »

Hey Caley, Don't you have a prop block for that thing? Wink

Just get out your Dremel and sand away everything that don't look like a prop!!!! Then hack the blades off, make a hinge and your done!!!

Not hard at all!! Grin
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »

Tom, Not sure that it isn't a bit difficult. I've been working on my second Senator prop for over a month now. LOL!!! Yeah, I think I do have a partially done prop block blank done. Just lazy I guess. Undecided

Caley

Tag

« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »

Caley

Ironically I just came up from the shop and was gluing up a prop block for a Jabberwock (Same as a Gollywock but with a cabin fuse instead of a stick fuse). My camera is broken so pics aren't going to happen this time but I have BIG plans for the winter so maybe before it's up I can send a few your way.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »

Tom, Please don't worry. I've got, courtesy of a friend of Applehoney, a few nice pieces of wood blocks that are perfect for prop carving. I just need to get the lead out and carve. My problem is like my building, very slow. Or is that procrastination? Grin But, I'd better quit cluttering Bob's nice thread until I actually get something done on the subject.

Caley.

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »

A Golly won Vintage Rubber at the just held Aussie Nats. It maxed out with ease.

I ended up 3rd when I dropped the 2nd flight badly in sink.

A pic of Jim's Golly and my Jeckyll & Hyde on the stooge before it's last flight probably ever. It went OOS well up and down wind under DT, and was just not worth chasing. I decided as it's been a terrific model to let Hung have it.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Chip58123
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »

I have really enjoyed reading this build and have learned alot. I may have missed where it may have said some where in there, how can I get my hands on a set of plans for a golly wock?

Chip Carnes
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »

Chip,
Send me an email... I have plans for all of the golly versions. Some are higher quality than others but i think you can build from all of em.

bguest@ucalgary.ca

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »

Randy, I believe that FAC does allow balsa props. Duco just prefers the plastic one over an equivalent balsa prop (don't know why... seems to me that if one made a lighter balsa version of the ikara prop one would get even better performance no??).

So it would seem to me as well, I know I can get better performance from my own props. But still, to limit the little skyrocket Golly to a freewheeler, no thanks, balsa or not.

Randy,

Using a 12" free wheeler, carved from the original prop block; (which for the record is 1.25 P/D) does not limit performance. Same goes for the Jabberwock. At least for me anyway, in good air; they'll do 3 minutes all day.

Otf'er
Duco Guru

« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »

Randy:

The "horrible" prop is the best one on the market IF YOU MUST FLY A FREEWHEELING PROP! Flying Aces competition will not allow a balsa folder, so I use the Ikara which is superior to other PLASTIC props.

I have a Gollywock with a hand carved balsa freewheeler that also flys O.K., but the Ikara gets me more altitude on the same amount of rubber. There are several videos of me flying different Gollywocks on HPA. Each of them is equipped with an Ikara prop. Take a look and be convinced. Cheesy

OK, That explains it. I also use these props (P-30) and you're right, for plastics they are top notch. I was thinking in relation to a well made prop as designed for the Golly, I wasn't aware FAC didn't allow balsa props, guess I won't be involved in any of that, I'll stick to SAM rubber.

For the record... I NEVER said that balsa props were illegal for FAC competition. What IS illegal (For FAC) are FOLDING propellors. DeLoach and I have had discussions about the Ikara props versus hand carved balsa propellors on Wocks.

The yellow Czech prop powers a Wock as if it had a Cox T.D up front AND has less frontal area than a balsa prop, resulting in a better glide.
I.M.O. the lighter weight of balsa may require a builder to add noseweight in order to get the C/G correct... the Ikara makes that step unnecessary. I have 3 (count em) Wocks including one with a balsa prop. ALL OF THEM will do an easy 2 minutes.

Duco
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2014, 07:50:24 PM »

Ok Duco I will be building my 4th Gollywock and I plan to build it and follow your tips here. Thanks again for the help.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »

I'm just finishing a GW and it is evident that it will be seriously tail heavy. I notice in the photos here that the wing has been moved back significantly. Guess where I put the timer.
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »

Guess where I put the timer.

In the noseblock?
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »

Guess where I put the timer.

In the noseblock?

LOL
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03:05 AM »

I'm just finishing a GW and it is evident that it will be seriously tail heavy. I notice in the photos here that the wing has been moved back significantly. Guess where I put the timer.

It will do fine balanced at 80%.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2017, 02:45:56 AM »

Thanks Dan - I was about to ask! I've seen a very wide range of CG on plans.
Bill
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »

Thanks Dan - I was about to ask! I've seen a very wide range of CG on plans.
Bill

I fly mine more forward.
The rear CG allows for a VERY strong motor- like 14-16 strands of 1/8". The forward CG doesn't handle that so good.
I use 12 strands x 28". Motor runs 1:20.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: