Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2021, 12:16:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Source for Plans of the "Golden Eagle III"?  (Read 2803 times)
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

Hello folks,

Anybody know where I might find plans for the "Golden Eagle III"? There is a picture of Keith Palmer's plane on the cover of the Autumn/Winter 1999/2000 Flying Model Designer & Constructor. It's a cool gullwing streamliner rubber model.

Thanks!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »

Woops, i overlooked this forum. thanks for the move. I found a listing for a "Golden Eagle" on the NFFS plan page but it does not have much information on what it is.

Derek
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:23:15 AM »

Hi Derek

There was a clutch of 'Eagles' built a few years back (Keith had at least two) - I don't know if there was a full sized plan, although I thought it was in one of the earlier Zaic yearbooks and presumed most builders scaled up and worked from that... Smiley

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »

Hi Derek

There was a clutch of 'Eagles' built a few years back (Keith had at least two) - I don't know if there was a full sized plan, although I thought it was in one of the earlier Zaic yearbooks and presumed most builders scaled up and worked from that... Smiley

Good to know. Thanks!

Derek
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

Derek Did you ever find the golden eagle plan?? I believe it is on page 87 of the 1937 yearbook. I would be interested if you found a source for this plan.
Bernard

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »

Derek Did you ever find the golden eagle plan?? I believe it is on page 87 of the 1937 yearbook. I would be interested if you found a source for this plan.
Bernard

Hi Bernard, I have not found a plan. It seem that everybody that has built one in lately used the Zaic drawing as the source.

Derek
Harry D
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »

Sorry to exhume this moldy oldie, but I've just come across a couple of pictures of the Golden Eagle III and know I just have to build one.

It seems that no full-size plans exist, but there is a drawing of some kind in the 1937 Zaic yearbook. Even that would be fine for me to work from. Does anyone know where I could find a copy of it?

Thanks!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Source for Plans of the "Golden Eagle III"?
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »

I just checked on page 87 of the 1937 Yearbook. That's the 1935 Canadian Wakefield Winner, a biplane, though the upper is a gull wing. I poked around in the rest of the Yearbook, but I didn't find anything.

However, I found a listing at the AMA's plan site. Check out the list of G's at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/plans.aspx
It shows a Golden Eagle II, but I think that's just a typo, as it also says that it's done by "Orwin" and is in the 1938 Yearbook. Turns out there IS a plan for a Golden Eagle III there on page 90. They're charging an awful lot for that plan if it's just the drawing from the yearbook. BTW, I noticed in the Zaic sketch that the fuselage stringers are shown planked over,  unlike the pics you showed us.

Lincoln
who ought to be doing something else!

Harry D
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »

Thanks for the info and leads, Lincoln. Much appreciated.

Like you, I have a lot of other things to keep me busy so there's no hurry with this. It'll turn up somewhere, sooner or later.  Smiley
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »

Here's the Zaic page
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Harry D
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »

Well, thank you, Lincoln! That's all I need. It's a bit bigger than I envisaged, at 55" span. Should make a nice, and very different, model.

I'll get right onto drawing it up in CAD. Full size plans, including things like laser cutter rib and bulkhead files, would of course be available to anyone who wants them.

Thanks again!  Smiley

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 02:51:36 AM »

Oh boy, I would love a copy when you are done!

Derek
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »

So are these plans available? I saw that it was featured in Aeromodeller recently:  http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/issue-027-945/
with full size plans (so I'll buy the back issue), however I checked their plans catalog and couldn't find it. Also, I'm mainly interested in an electronic version of the plans because I don't want to build a 55" Wakefield, I thought if I re-scaled it to about 32" it might be fun.
sspresdavid
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 09:39:57 PM »

In the February 2016 issue of Aeromodeller, the article states that full sized plans are available from ADH publishing ( plan # 613 ). Their online catalog does not list it, but it might be worth a phone call. +44(0) 1525 222573. They take credit cards.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »

OK, I guess I'll have to give them a call sooner or later, I see it says you can order the plans, but I'm assuming that's hardcopy, I see a bunch of (British) modelers have built the plane, I thought there might be some info on an electronic copy out there, but I'll check, thanks for the info.
Jon S
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »

Has anyone else had luck getting plans from ADH?  I emailed them but no response.
Jon S
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »

Ordered a set of plans.  21 Pounds shipped to the U.S.  Forgot to ask about a digital version, but I will.
Jon S
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

Just heard back that this plan in not available in electronic form, only printed, for those who were hoping for a download.

Cheers,
Jon
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »

That's too bad, thanks for letting us know.
Jon S
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »

You bet.  Going to have to reduce it the old fashioned way once it arrives.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »

HI All,
If you are patient I plan to do this one as a short kit. means I will be doing a plan for it using the Zaic drawing. It would be available in digital format from Hummingbirdmodelproducts.com

BG

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »

Sounds good, digital plans would be great since I'd like to reduce it to about 34".

PS - I noticed that you have a F1b/F1g prop pitch gauge, I can't resist those kinds of gadgets so I just ordered one (to complement my homemade one).
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 139

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »

So glad I got on this thread, I have been turned on by the Golden Eagle for a long time but never could ID the thing. Its got everything I like in a model, especially charisma. Bernard, please make a reasonable splash when you have your short kit ready. By then I may have recovered feelings in my numb mojo!

The Threadkiller!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »

Woo Hoo! Can't wait Smiley

FlyGuy, the Hummingbird pitch gauge is worth every penny. It's beautiful Cool

Derek
Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »

Good to hear, looking forward to getting it, thanks! It's been too windy lately for my oldtimers so I pulled out my Coupe from several years of 'resting' last month, got a max for the first flight out of the box, must have been happy to get out, so the gauge will be put to use next flying session, whenever that is.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: