Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 11:05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Isaacson Winter Classic/Zeri Dutch World Cup Feb 12-14, 2011  (Read 3469 times)
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:36 AM »

Isaacson Winter Classic/Zeri World Cup Feb 12-14, 2011
- Fabulous February at Lost Hills

I can hear Ike saying, "Are You Crazy?"
At the first Winter Classic, we had a campfire Sat. night and we fed everyone with a couple packs of wieners and buns. This included a shepherd that wandered in from who knows where (who was that guy?). The whole point of the WC was to have a friendly warm-up contest for the MM. Then a few years ago, the Ike became an America's Cup (thanks Old Al, great idea!) entries jumped up to right around 200!

This year, we're hosting the Anselmo Zeri Memorial, Dutch World Cup contest. The Ike is NOT just an FAI contest. We have AMA, NFFS and SAM events, too! New this year is Stan and Ralph’s NOS TLG Glider event. There will be a total of FIVE CLG/HLG events! Also: Compressed Air! And the revamped E-36 event. Plus NOS Gas, Vint Gas and asst. Rubber events included.

See Norm's Blog for fliers: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=44563

The Ike is the beginning of a whole week of flying at Lost Hills. It will be followed by the California Cup, Pan American Cup and finally the Bob White, MaxMen International.

Please have your current AMA and Lost Hills membership card!

See you in February! The Isaacson Winter Classic and Anselmo Zeri Dutch World Cup fliers are attached.

Norm and Roger
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »

Hi all,
This just in from Jan Langelius to inform that he has updated his site to include the NOS Hand Launch Glider information.
There is a reference on the home page and he created a NOS-HLG page that includes the rules and the full Isaacson flyer.

Links follow:
www.discuskid.com
http://discuskid.com/DiscUSKid_NOSGlider.aspx

jAn Langelius,
aka Mr DiscUSKid
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:19:53 PM by sweepettelee » Logged

Leeper
NormF
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »

Thanks Lee and Jan!

Lee, we need to include the rules for your "Footlong Fantasies" AKA "Beat The Vartanian - West", 12" Cats!

- Norm
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »

Right you are Norm!

When we fly it at the NATS we call it: "BEAT THE VARTANIAN", so for the IKE 2011 it is "BTV-WEST" !

Now for the easy rules:
Any 12" span cat glider, weighing 10 grams min.
Launcher per AMA CLG rules[6" handle, 18" rubber, etc]

All those interested in flying "BTV-WEST", bring me a buck & sign up.

Flying will be MASS LAUNCH STYLE just after the Compressed Air guys have their Mass Launch Flyoff.
So be ready to fly Sunday at 7:30AM and we will fly shortly thereafter!
Last glider up wins the Stan Kit for the flyer, so build one or two, they are easy!

Loaners may be available, as BOM rule is waived.
So please join the FUN!

Leeper
NormF
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »

We're getting close to Fabulous February! Hope you have all your planes ready to go!

The AMA glider guy's have a bunch of events for HLG, CLG and towline, too.

The new E-36, COMPRESSED AIR! Nos Gas, Vintage Gas and the old standby's will be featured.

The field is nice and green and the pistachio nuts have been ordered!

See you at Lost Hills, February 12, flier link is in the first post.

- Norm Furutani
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 238

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »

Hey Guys, There's been so much talk about the Isaacson, and a few saying I should go and watch. Well, do you have to be a Lost Hills member to go watch and do some fun flying? Since I lack the moolah for a motel room, I would have to take my tent in order to camp overnight, or two, if camping is allowed. And are there facilities nearby that you can use to clean up at for a fee. I know there is the Buttonwillow truck stop, but not sure how far down the road that is, and not sure a non truck drive can use their facilities.

I would go to watch, take pictures and just fly a few times for fun, no competition, especially not Coupe, as I don't have any more rubber for that bird.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »

Caley,
If you need rubber to fly your Coupe I'd be happy to bring some for you. 8 motors of July 2010 o.k.? Just don't ask for May 99 Grin (insiders joke, you'll get it soon).

I don't think you need to be a Lost Hills member to go and watch. Many of us are staying at the Lost Hills Motel 6 and I'm sure you could use any of our facilities to wash-up any time. We Canadians are there for 10 days starting on the 10th. I'm sure you could camp right on the field.

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

Hi Caley, you can camp on the field. I'm sure that somebody staying at the motels in Lost Hills would let you use the shower. If not there are several truck stops in Lost Hills with showers. I'm sure Norm will let you know if you have to be a member to fly for fun. Are you sure you don't want to compete? There is always P30 and the glider events. I know that there are often loaners available for the catapult glider events. Hope you can make it. It is a great contest!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »

Caley,
Yes, please come on down! You would be welcomed at the field with open arms, I know. Just tell anybody who asks, you are a guest of a Board member of Lost Hills FF Field Assn. But no one will ask or be worried if you want to camp. You will see other sportspersons doing that very thing. You may pitch camp in that area. As for cleanup, Lost Hills is one of the major truck oasis on I-5 Hwy and has several trucker stations. Love's, Pilot, etc., where I suspect you might catch a shower.  There is also an RV park which has bath house, I am told. I bet John Clapp will be there, if you let him know you need some of his rubber to fly!

CU,
Leeper

Leeper
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

I did a bit of checking online about accommodations. Though I dislike using a credit card, I did, as Motel 6 in Lost Hills had a room available. That eliminates camping out, which I dislike with a passion. 12 years of living in tents while in the military kinds of makes you that way.

So, I can pack up a few models and come up to visit everyone, snap some piccies, and make a general nuisance of myself. Grin And, maybe fly a few times for fun.

Now I have to go to the county courthouse here in Joshua Tree and make sure they honour the exemption I have for jury duty, which they scheduled for me, even though they gave me the exemption.

Caley

NormF
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »

Caley,
Just tell anybody who asks, you are a guest of a Board member of Lost Hills FF Field Assn.

Duly noted Mr. Hines!

Caley, would love to see a repeat of your SWR win! As for flying for fun - this is a requirement at the Isaacson!

Seeya!

Norm F
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »

Norm, I know you and a lot of others really want me to fly in a contest, but it isn't possible. I used my money in Eloy, and am using a credit card to go to the Ike. I'm coming just to say hello to the many who have been so kind to me over the years that are going to be there. I'll have fun visiting, taking pics and throwing a model in the air once or twice for recreation flying.

Caley

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »

Well, it looks like I will be flying Coupe after all. I talked with Larry B, and he can bring me some rubber. Just not sure I can handle seven rounds. Anyway, Norm, if I am flying, it will really cut into my picture taking. Will try to snap some in between tossing, searching for the model and the next round.

Caley

Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »

Yeah!
So, does this mean you don't need me to bring you some coupe motors Caley? I'll pack a few extra just in case...

7 lbs. of rubber goes quick if you wind 'em hard!

Tmat

F1B guy...
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

Tony, I'm only getting one pound of 3/32 rubber. Not sure what date it is, but hope it is June 2009, as that is what I used in Eloy. If it isn't, I'll need to find out how much it can take and then see how the model reacts to a different power.

When I mentioned seven, I am under the impression that the Coupe thing takes seven rounds. I'm not entirely enthused about seven hours of flying. I guess you can tell from that I'm not a real dedicated flyer.

One question to anyone coming from far away. Do you have your own transportation to the field from your hotel, or could I help one person get there. I've got a Honda CRV that can handle quite a load in the rear. So I'm offering transport to anyone who needs it. I'll be staying at the Motel 6 in Lost Hills.

Caley

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »

I'm very glad your coming to Lost Hills.If the weathers good you'll love it.I'm coming down with Derek & Bill.Do hope to meet you,I'll be the one with the cowboy hat.Although you won't find me anywhere near any FAI models.That's 25 years I'll never get back.Just look for the guy with a big smile flying gas powered tissue and balsa models.

Bruce
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »

Caley,
Coupe is only 5 rounds. Pretty relaxed as far as FAI events go. I misread what you said, I thought you said 7 lbs of rubber, not 7 rounds. My bad...

Tony

F1B guy...
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »

Caley Ann,

I think you will find mini events at The IKE including Coupe, are 5 rounds plus the flyoff., where you could have a shot at winning two in a row!

As for Bruce the Oregonian with big smile flying stick & tissue gassies, you will find his planes to be excellent pieces of work, as well as usually flying better than average! Oh yes, one more thing. He wins a lot! Wink

-The Ol' Leeper,
[Bruce the Oregonian's Marketing Agent & Head Cheerleader]

Leeper
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »

FF Bruce does smellies now. Kewl! And I like works of art. Be prepared to get mugged, uh, photographed.

Lee, Like in Eloy, I will participate. Whatever happens, happens. My flying philosophy is wind the motor and toss. Smiley

Tony, I was a sweatin about seven rounds. I'm sure happy it is only five. Five was enough for me in Eloy, especially when it took me about a half hour to locate my model, three of the six frights.

Caley taking a deep breath of relief.

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 07:51:05 PM »

I guess everyone knows where Lost Hills is, but I only know that it's northwest of Bakersfield, near Taft. I plan to follow the weather for the area, but the closest reporting station is at Meadows Field Airport (Bakersfield) and Fresno.

Wind and weather look good thru Tuesday.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »

Pete, try this Wx station:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:93249.1.99999
That is MesoWest Lost Hills CA US HNXWFO, Lost Hills. May be in Lost Hills village, only 9 miles SE of field.

Leeper
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »

Thanks Lee. That's a weather site I've been looking for. One of the sites I use is Windfinder (http://www.windfinder.com) - a very accurate to the hour, up to two week forecast (in Europe), but apparently only good for four days in the States.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »

Yes, Pete, remember that the USA is a faster changing country than ye Olde Worlde! Roll Eyes

Modify: After I had my fun above, I recalled that you might get updates on the events from SEN, our SCAT Club Electronic News website run by Roger Morrell.

Go to:
http://www.faifreeflight.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1433&Itemid=2

If you desire to have the latest, most up-to-date info, send an email to Roger and ask him to add you to his mailing list.

Leeper
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:59:02 PM by sweepettelee » Logged

Leeper
NormF
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

Pete, try this Wx station:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:93249.1.99999

That is MesoWest Lost Hills CA US HNXWFO, Lost Hills. May be in Lost Hills village, only 9 miles SE of field.

Hey Leep,

Check out the Google map on that WU site. Looks like it's due west of the field, just past BlackWells Corner. Usually pretty accurate when up and running.

See'ya soon!

- Norm w/ his weather fingers crossed!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »

Norm F, et al,

Check this Wundermap station in zoom view:
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=35.65558243&lon=-119.77036285&zoom=8&pin=Lost%20Hills%2c%20CA

It is right at Holloway Gypsum Company! That is about two miles from our start lines & within a mile of F1E hill.

Leeper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: