Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 20, 2024, 11:15:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morane Type P for rubber power  (Read 2144 times)
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 59

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2024, 12:22:16 PM »

From here the proportions look about right and if you're building this to, "looks right" rules then use them as they are.  Were it me I'd do what Bill suggested and if the calculated diameter is within +/- 5% of that of the wheels, use them without a second thought.  Up to +/- 10% I'd still consider using them for "looks right", beyond that I'd think about making new wheels.

I'm enjoying watching this come together.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 80

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2024, 12:53:21 PM »

Diameter looks about right but as Lurk says...  Not sure how much the rim profile would be worth in terms of points but that's a lot of effort to make two new wheels ?
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Kudos: 174

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2024, 01:20:57 PM »

Thanks chaps. After some more measuring I’ve decided they’ll do. I’m fairly sure they’re within the Lurk +/-  5% range anyway. I have repainted both tyres and rims though which I think makes the tyres look a little thinner due to the colour differentiation.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Morane Type P for rubber power
THB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2024, 03:48:42 AM »

Great progress Pete - sorry for boring question - but where did you source the orange prop?

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2024, 04:52:18 AM »

where did you source the orange prop?
Hi Tim. I got several in a range of sizes, I think via eBay.  I’m not sure where exactly though as it was quite a few years ago now. They’re from China I believe. Funnily enough, I was going to ask if anyone had a current source as I could really do with some more.
Nigel M
Bronze Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2024, 05:59:00 AM »

The cowl looks a lot better, Pete. I'm trying to think of a way of adding a hard edge to the LE of the cowl to sand up to, to make it nice and sharp.
I would probably - bearing in mind my very limited experience - make a short ring of thin ply, probably 1/32nd or 1/64th (I'd have to measure what I've used in the past), and glue that inside the cowl front lip. It is quite resilient and will take a very fine edge. Works well with wingtip outlines as well. I first saw the technique used on a PSS Mustang plan in one of the mags. I think one of the designers is on HPA, Andy ??
HTH
Nigel
Gary Dickens
Bronze Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2024, 01:36:16 PM »

https://volare-products.myshopify.com/products/chinese-props-choose-size.

Gary
PeeTee
Bronze Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2024, 04:38:50 PM »

Pete
When I bought the Chinese props 8 or 9 years ago I recall getting them from Banggood in HK with the cheap postage! I've had a quick look at the website but gave up, I'm sure they are in there somewhere !!!  Roll Eyes

Peter
Horten 229
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2024, 05:15:10 PM »

HI, They  look like GWS direct drive ones . Give Robotbirds a go or their "Aligntrex" on ebay.
  Morane looks great !  Cheers Phil.
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2024, 10:57:38 AM »

Thanks for the cowl edge idea, Nigel. I was already wondering if a strip of thin ply might be the ticket so it’s good to know that works. I’ll get back to the cowl later.

Thanks too for all the orange prop supply ideas. I didn’t know Volare sold them. Now that you’ve said it, Peter, I think Banggood Hong Kong was where my original batch came from too.

I’ve now started on the tailplane and the first picture shows how much I eventually decided to enlarge it (ie quite a lot). The other two photos are of the underside of the fuselage tail end and show how I intend to make the tail incidence adjustable. Basically, the tail’s spar will act like a kind of door hinge at the top edge. I’ll add shims into the crack as necessary and hold the door shut with a couple of small rubber bands on each side of the tail skid going to pegs or hooks under the fuselage, more or less where my thumb is.
billdennis747
Silver Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2024, 11:30:24 AM »

That's a new one Pete. Somebody needs to try it out so thanks for volunteering! It could be very dependent on variations in the shims and facings; the smallest of 'squashings' or expandings could have a disproportionate effect on the incidence. Facings and shims of plastic might be a good idea.
Will the tail be flat plate, sectioned or lifting to maximise the efficiency? I'll wait for the aerodynamicists to turn up.
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2024, 12:02:48 PM »

That's a new one Pete. Somebody needs to try it out so thanks for volunteering! It could be very dependent on variations in the shims and facings; the smallest of 'squashings' or expandings could have a disproportionate effect on the incidence. Facings and shims of plastic might be a good idea.
Will the tail be flat plate, sectioned or lifting to maximise the efficiency? I'll wait for the aerodynamicists to turn up.
It'll be a flat plate as I don't do lifting tails! I thought that if the hinge does turn out to be too fiddly to adjust reliably, I could extend both the 'door' and the 'door jamb' downwards a bit to give me a wider arc to mess about with. Good idea to make the shims and facings as un-squashy as possible though. I could maybe just coat the balsa facings with cyano?
(The other thing that occurred to me is that if it needs down elevator, I'm stuffed!)
Slowmatch
Silver Member

Kudos: 108

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2024, 12:25:59 PM »

Hi  Cool

The tail won't be lifting (it's too small) so a conventional airfoil would be the least efficient. Flat or symetrical would be best. A tail's required direction of lift (up or down) is determined by the tail volume and airspeed, not by the airfoil. They need to be fairly big as on a duration model (like over Vh0.6) before they actually lift upwards at a normal trim speed. Putting an 'up lifting' section on a down-loaded tail doesn't mean it won't work - after all planes can fly upside down. But it's less efficient.

Pete, what about bits of old credit card (or similar) as shims? Or put a screw adjustment through the 'door' at the latch side?

Jon
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2024, 01:13:09 PM »

I like the screw adjustment idea, Jon. I’ll think on it.
Anyway, I now have a tail. Still needs sanding so is a bit rough and ready…
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2024, 01:18:41 PM »

And I now have a wing too. Rib spacing is scale, although some of the ribs are just tops to save a bit of weight.. I made the wingtips by laminating thin balsa strips around a cardboard form which was held down over a cambered block (that I made some years ago for my old Aerographics Blackburn).
A few pics….
It still needs some work, including some mild scalloping to the trailing edge and general shaping.
Tim Horne
Bronze Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2024, 03:35:33 PM »

Looking good Pete!
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2024, 10:42:34 AM »

The Morane is now just about ready for covering. I have some Dilly tissue that I’ll be using for the first time. What you see here weighs 64g, which I think isn’t too bad for its 29.5” span. I’m still hoping it’ll come in fairly close to 100g, but we shall see.
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2024, 06:08:31 AM »

The Morane is now covered, doped and sprayed with the trusty old Xtracolor ‘RFC Doped Matural Fabric’ enamel and the roundels have been stuck on. These are hand painted on white sprayed tissue and cut out. I’ve also added some thin card panelling to the front half of the fuselage, all of which needs a lot of metalising and dirtying up.
Prosper
Bronze Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2024, 09:51:59 AM »

Looking good, Pete!

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2024, 04:39:29 AM »

Thanks Stephen.
I’ve now metalised and weathered the forward fuselage and cowl. Also made the little steps by moulding thread around a form and covering them in cyano for stiffness.
OZPAF
Silver Member

Kudos: 197

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2024, 09:44:23 PM »

That's a clever idea for the steps Pete. It has lots of character.

John
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2024, 04:22:01 AM »

Thanks, John.

A bit more progress… some windscreens and, be afraid, be very afraid… the little blue men are coming! Their little wooden noses will sniff you out!
Prosper
Bronze Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2024, 05:55:14 AM »

Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2024, 06:16:22 AM »

Stephen, I’ve just given him some eyes. Unfortunately, he still can’t see the airfield because his goggles have misted up but, hopefully, good old Triggers in the front cockpit will still get them home.
Tim Horne
Bronze Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2024, 08:15:09 AM »

Your pilots are always full of character. Looking great Pete. Won’t be long til trimming time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: