Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2024, 02:12:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Found on ebay  (Read 237 times)
Crabby
Bronze Member

Kudos: 145

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2024, 06:39:01 AM »

Every so often I do an ebay search for my Olde Man's original watercolors. I had never seen this one before, and would spent more than the 300 they were asking for, never the less I rescued this from the owner who thankfully had left it in the original plastic cover.

This is a self portrait of him leaning on a Schweitzer (?) I know he owned an army surplus TG-3 but that's a mid-wing. The place is the Benzie airport in Frankfort Michigan. The tow plane would still be on the ground obscured by the wing of Thee Old Man's lunch break support. I think they used a Citabria but not too sure. They also had used a Volkswagon powered winch for a while. The time frame based on Thee Olde Man's hairdo, and beefy musculature, was probably early 50's.

After I received this (it was carefully wrapped and protected) I got it framed for prosperity, The title? "It Seems Like Only Yesterday"

Frankfort Michigan was and still is a haven for sailplane enthusiasts from all around the world.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Found on ebay

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Bronze Member

Kudos: 120

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 08:48:20 AM »

That's a really nice bit of art Crabby.  My mother was a very accomplished weaver - I treasure the examples of her work that I have.

Mike
skyraider
Bronze Member

Kudos: 96

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 11:30:55 AM »

Crabby,
     Great recovery of the "olde man's" art work as it truly captures the thrill of flight and what dreams are made of.

Skyraider
Don McLellan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 72

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 01:05:18 PM »

Your 'Olde Man's' artwork is fantastic!  Truly a great find.

Cheers,
Don
Arnold S
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 01:55:29 PM »

Wow that is amazing Crabby.

Both the picture itself and in “bringing it home”

Andrew

I’ll be back…
OZPAF
Silver Member

Kudos: 197

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 01:38:35 AM »

What luck to find it Crabby.

It captures the enjoyment and the relaxing atmosphere very well.

John
AndyB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 04:58:25 AM »

Magic... :-)

That's a really good picture, too.

A.
Crabby
Bronze Member

Kudos: 145

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 10:37:55 AM »

I wish I was a skilled enough wordsmith to craft a paragraph or two that would relate my memories of that time and place. We return there to vacation when we can. When my mom passed Thee Olde Man took her ashes to a friend who still worked at the Benzie Airport, and they rigged a coffee can to the Citabria and spread her ashes over the part of Lake Michigan where we used to swim. When Thee Olde Man passed, I tried to do the same, but when I brought it up everyone there thought it was a hair-brained and dangerous scheme and looked at me like I just escaped a nut-haus. Oh well. That was then this is now. Plus Thee Olde Man had connections and charisma that few closed doors and minds could block. The Greatest Generation lacked fear if I may make a faulty generalization... I took a kayak instead and made a zany ritual out of simple spreading of ones ashes. My brother made the job more efficient by getting himself killed so I took him along too and spread him at the same time. Now the spirits mingle in the currents just off shore in Lake Michigan near Benzie Airport.

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: