Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 05, 2024, 11:29:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sterling Fokker D7  (Read 345 times)
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 67

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2024, 09:37:58 AM »

Here is my newest vintage build, the Fokker D7.  I am really trying to build her out of the box using all the supplied materials for rubber freeflight but there are some changes that have to be made.  I will be replacing the wheels since they are too heavy and broke when I was putting them together.  These toy truck wheels would work if you are flying a gas model, replace the wire with 16g and reinforce the landing gear mount area.  Actually, this is what the plans say to do.  Also, I had to move the motor peg forward so the plane will sit on the stooge without hitting the stab.  Lastly, I made the plastic cowl removable but this is actually a Sterling design. Sterling designed all their peanut scale models to have a removable nose but not the larger kits.  Well, when they redesigned some of their kits, they did add the removable nose and this was a redesigned kit later when bought by Estes.  I built the frame in a couple of days using Testors green tube cement, no CA.  I am going to start covering soon and will be using the supplied tissue.  Right now she weighs 65 grams so I don't think I will be airbrushing the Fokker Red.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Sterling Fokker D7
Sterling Fokker D7
Sterling Fokker D7
Sterling Fokker D7
Sterling Fokker D7
Sterling Fokker D7
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 09:38:51 AM »

More pictures.
Re: Sterling Fokker D7
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 09:43:07 AM »

I really the engine detail, you can see how heavy the kit tires are.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 10:26:46 AM »

I was able to get her all covered last night and today will hopefully brush on some Dope.  As you can see, the old tissue has some major crease lines but this does not end up being an issue.  After cutting out the correct size, I spray some water on the piece of tissue and smooth it out with my hands like smoothing out pizza dough into a pan.  Since I am covering with wet tissue, I cut relief slits where I think the tissue may pull away while shrinking, mainly on the trailing edge.  Once the tissue and glue is dried, I shrink the tissue and hold the parts in place with my fancy jigs. I really like the antique look of the tissue and I am leaning more and more not to paint this plane red.  She is not a scale build, but rather a vintage build mainly out of the box.  The tissue has browned over time, but that is what makes this such a cool build, then use the old vintage decals......
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 10:27:39 AM »

More covering
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 10:29:01 AM »

And the covering is done.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 03:57:41 PM »

I am calling this vintage Sterling build all done and ready for flight.  This was a fun build that I started 7 days ago and glad I was able to use most of the kits parts.  The old tissue was had no issues and the decals went on just fine with a little help.  All done she weights 80 grams and after 20 grams of nose weight she is up to 100 grams.  After covering the model I brushed on 2 coats of thinned Randolph Butyrate dope and began assembly.  Luckily I had put the plane together before covering and I was able to make adjustments at that time.  The Sterling kit comes with instructions on making a jig for top wing alignment and it works great.  The instructions are very detailed making the finishing touches nice.  The landing gear gets done last and is covered after fairings/struts are glued in place.  The landing gear also provides some shock absorption.  The decals are old so I sprayed them Testors Glosscote.  I then soaked in water, brushed on super thinned Elmer's glue all where the decals rest and placed all the decals.  As soon as the weather is better and our grass grows, I will take her out flying.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 03:58:39 PM »

More pictures
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 03:58:53 PM »

Last ones
Joe H
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 08:56:06 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to post these pictures and your description of the build.  Using the old kit materials was a class act and the result is a great homage to those older kits that have sat in boxes for decades without ever getting a chance to fly.  This build thread really shows what’s possible with these old kits given enough patience and craftsmanship. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: