Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 17, 2024, 12:23:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Airbrush Recommendations?  (Read 936 times)
Bargle
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2024, 09:25:40 PM »

I've been having trouble using my 2 airbrushes with Eze Dope. One is a bottom end Badger single action (blows across a nozzle) and the other is a Chinese made double action airbrush. I was able to get the Badger working once, but that's all. The double action hasn't done more than briefly blow a mist. I've used 2 different air pumps. One is a vintage De Vilbiss for airbrushes and the other is a De Vilbiss nebulizer pump I've managed to crudely adapt for airbrushing. I haven't tried nitrate dope yet because it's too cool outside and I made the mistake of using butyrate indoors in the fall once many years ago and don't want to repeat that experience. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Also, can anyone recommend a good single action airbrush?
Kevin M
Bronze Member

Kudos: 20

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 12:44:05 PM »

I've had good results with this one:

https://www.paascheairbrush.com/H-3AS

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Airbrush Recommendations?
Bargle
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 06:28:01 AM »

OK, I think I've determined what the problem is. Not the airbrushes, but my compressors aren't putting out enough pressure and volume of air. I've read the specs on several different ones and mine aren't generating anywhere near that. Thanks to Kevin and anyone else who has read the thread.
Red Buzzard
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 10:43:40 AM »

Hi Bargle,

I have your basic Badger that I have used for years. I tried the canisters with really lousy results then switched to my shop compressor. Things improved remarkably. When spraying nitrate dope thinned down to at least 50/50 or thinner and shooting at 18 psi things are now great. Your problem could be both pressure/volume or not thinning enough. Having said that I have never tried Easydope for anything so maybe my example may not apply.

RB
Bargle
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 05:15:45 PM »

Thanks, Red. I bought a Harbor Freight basic compressor and gun setup. I'll let you know how it goes. I expect to be trying it out this weekend.
Crabby
Bronze Member

Kudos: 145

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 06:37:40 PM »

Hey Bargle
Its cool that with all the computer printing and all someone is still using the airbrush. I don't know about most guys but I really like to see the artist's hand in the work. I am not bashing guys who use their computers for printing and all the other stuff, that takes skill too. Not using a computer these days is like getting from Boston to Miami without using I-95.

The Threadkiller!
Bargle
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 07:21:10 PM »

I don't expect to do much fancy painting. Just coating with clear mostly. I tried brushing the Eze Dope the other day and poked a hole in the tissue.
Pit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 135

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 12:09:56 PM »

If you do decide to run EZ Dope thru an airbrush, make SURE that (1) don't let the filled brush sit more than 3 minutes between spritzes an (2) make SURE that the brush is TOTALLY cleaned when finished!  I ruined two brushes leaning what not to do with "EZ" dope (thankfully, the inexpensive siphon ones).

If brushing, the foam brushes work best... I have about a liter of EZ dope that I may never again use (but haven't yet tried the supposedly improved stuff).

About compressors... Just about any compressor that puts out at least 45 pounds will work but get one with a tank and a manometer (air pressure regulator), preferably with auto stop/start!  Even the small tanks do the job of eliminating the air pulses and the regulator keeps the pressure fairly constant (the bigger the tank, the better).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Bargle
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 06:46:43 AM »

Thanks, Pit. I've already got the basic compressor, but was considering adding a tank. Now I need to think of something to use for it. Thanks for the warning on the Eze Dope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: