Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2024, 07:57:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What did you do aeroplane wise today?  (Read 11746 times)
MarkM and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
AndyB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 25

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2024, 11:45:28 AM »

> Got a feel for how long to tobitd?

Really difficult to say. Should be airbrushing next week if the weather is calm enough first thing in the morning, then lets say another week after that to do all the things that I have (so far) forgotten to do.

Three weeks?

Of course, if the weather magically clears up, then it's all up in the air again...

A.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 80

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: April 05, 2024, 01:22:02 PM »

Enjoying the new Magister Thread Andy  Cheesy

Stumbled across some interesting local aviation history today that I had no idea about. 112 years ago Geoffrey de Havilland landed a BE2, an aircraft he had designed, on 'the old football field' near my house. It turns out that opposite where I live used to be the home of the Burney Brothers, they had met G de Havilland while serving an apprenticeship at the same company.  They became friends and persuaded him to sell them the patterns for a motorcycle engine he'd made at engineering college, they modified it and set up a company to produce it. Aviation pioneer Harold Blackburn ( not the one who set up Blackburn aircraft) provided the backing and Burney & Blackburn was born. When Harold was bought out they added an e to the name. Blackburne became a prominent engine manufacturer for motorcycles and Morgan 3 wheelers as well as producing a number of light aircraft engines.... anyway small world  ..as you were

Maybe that's a good excuse to build a BE2 next?

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What did you do aeroplane wise today?
Pete Fardell
Silver Member

Kudos: 174

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: April 05, 2024, 04:09:25 PM »

I’d say that’s an excellent excuse to build a BE2, Chris! I love it when people find a local snippet like that. For me, my “Hang on a minute!” moment was when I came across this 1913 photo of a crashed HP “Yellow Peril” monoplane in a book and suddenly noticed that it was described as being in the very roadside drain that I‘d cycled past virtually every day of my working life!

Maybe we should have an ‘It Landed Near My House’ scale cook-up? Any more interesting examples, anyone?
OZPAF
Silver Member

Kudos: 197

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2024, 07:43:23 PM »

Fascinating bit of history Chris. Well what did you think those drains were for Peter Cheesy?

John
Bargle
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2024, 09:00:54 PM »

Finished up the Sig Cub I've been working on.
MarkM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2024, 05:57:38 AM »

Maybe we should have an ‘It Landed Near My House’ scale cook-up? Any more interesting examples, anyone?

Would that also allow the inclusion of crash landed near my house Pete?? Having grown up with 2x RAF bases within a just over 10 mile radius, and an RFC station about 1/2 a mile away, there would be plenty of subjects to choose!
OZPAF
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2024, 08:49:57 AM »

Colourful Bargle! This was to fill in some time while building the model on the board? Smiley

Happy Flying.

John

Slowmatch
Silver Member

Kudos: 108

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2024, 09:38:54 AM »

Maybe we should have an ‘It Landed Near My House’ scale cook-up? Any more interesting examples, anyone?

I'm about 1km from an old civil aerodrome/RAF base and gliding club that operated from the 30s-60s, sadly now all built on. Alan Cobham’s National Aviation Day also visited in '32. A smorgasbord of options  Shocked

Maybe I should do an Airspeed Ferry...

"The civil traffic was fairly active in the 1950s and 60s. Anything from Perkins gliders through Tiger Moths, Austers, Messengers, Magisters to Dragon Rapides. Even the Sparrowjet and Mew Gull for the King's Cup in 1957. Also BEA trials with a Dragonfly and a Whirlwind. Even Aztecs toward the end."
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: April 06, 2024, 10:05:22 AM »

Quote from: Slowmatch
Maybe I should do an Airspeed Ferry...
Yes, yes you should.
Bargle
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: April 06, 2024, 10:06:12 AM »

Colourful Bargle! This was to fill in some time while building the model on the board? Smiley

Happy Flying.

John

I am taking part in a group build over at RC Groups. This was one of my builds. An FA Moth is underway.
pumptato-cat
Copper Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: April 06, 2024, 01:04:03 PM »

Almost got kicked out of a gym today while flying SO.
"What are you doing? What's that box? Do you have permission to fly in here?(I did) Can I see your pass?" et cetera. Apprently some basketball players reported us. Dontcha love life sometimes

EDIT: we got interrogated twice. Lovely

SciOly kid exploring the world of free flight! Cheesy
DavidJP
Bronze Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2024, 06:05:09 AM »

Some people have an overinflated opinion of themselves.  Sometimes when accosted so I say “Who are you and can I see your ID please?  It has worked because sometime you get an officious type who likes to show off and has no ID. It is often the case here that those with authority don’t have to show off because they have the confidence and often are polite. 
Pit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 135

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: April 07, 2024, 12:28:57 PM »

Went for a nice walk this morning - beautiful weather @ 72°F except for the wind, which was in the right direction but strong enough that any decent flight would have put the plane halfway to the neighboring town.  So, home I went for another cuppa and a few croissants and got to work making up most of the templates for the Shark and separating the parts drawings so whoever might end up with a copy won't have to duit.

Not much sleep the past few days with an unholy amount of stress.  Youngest son's computer got smoked getting him so worked up that he tripped and busted his left wrist (guitarist and composer - Heavy/Death Metal) - of course, the fretting hand. 

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
OZPAF
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2024, 06:15:14 AM »

Lousy luck there Pit.

The Shark will be a major challenge.! Good luck with it.

John
AeroWrecker
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2024, 04:42:26 PM »

Went out flying a Knoblauch Special.  Caught some mild lift and called it a day.  It's too early in the season for a fly-a-way.  Four and a half inch prop on 1/16 rubber.

Warren
DavidJP
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2024, 03:42:32 AM »

My goodness Pit that sounds awful although not sure what a smoked computer is but it sounds grim.   As I age i get more nd more intolerant of the vagaries of technology I avoid the use thereof as much as I can.  Hope the wrist heals soon - he has age on his side of course.
PB_guy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2024, 12:42:00 PM »

I am astonished at how people get a fish lit, let alone a computer. And then to get a draw through it!  People will smoke the most incredible things.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: April 12, 2024, 02:24:36 PM »

I thought you might like this... I spent some time just cleaning up and doing a few tissue repairs on these RTP models . They are built Charlie Newman, the FW189 and Hawker Henley were built as rubber models and converted to RTP later. The Piper Cherokee was built as and RTP model and has working nav lights 
MarkM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2024, 04:27:54 PM »

I thought you might like this... I spent some time just cleaning up and doing a few tissue repairs on these RTP models . They are built Charlie Newman, the FW189 and Hawker Henley were built as rubber models and converted to RTP later. The Piper Cherokee was built as and RTP model and has working nav lights 
They look absolutely brilliant! Well done that man!
DavidJP
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2024, 04:16:00 AM »

I believe at one time Charlie was building desktop models for airlines etc. from woood.  They were superb.  The Cherokee has those hallmarks.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2024, 10:18:34 AM »

I believe at one time Charlie was building desktop models for airlines etc. from woood

Yes he made many for Airlines and Banks etc. They were moulded, we came across some of the moulds while we were looking for the RTP stuff
packardpursuit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2024, 03:05:02 PM »

Yesterday, I embarked on a bit of an adventure. Leaving Visalia Ca, @ approx. 12;30M, PST, I got to fly Rt seat in a Beechcraft 360c King Air, to Ontario Ca. At the 380 Knots the trip was fast, about 35-40 minutes. I was told it was usually a trip of less duration, but we had to climb to 27000 ft before taking a circuitous IFR route south and east , avoiding restricted airspace (Edwards AFB). Snow in Sierras and Tehachapi's was quite spectacular thru patchy undercast. Only dense cloud encountered was just short of landing.

I learned that Executive pilot's at larger venues have opportunity to enjoy several perks.  Todd wrangled a plush new "courtesy car" (with gas) from a lovely receptionists and we drove over to Aircraft Spruce in Corona to order material for our respective homebuilt projects. Then lunched at "In and Out". Ended up at STELLAR experience  Pegasus Hobbies , Upland (I can die now!). Quite a few FF scale kits(Flyline, Herr, etc.).  Balsa rack not exactly filled, but quality was apparent.  We were back at the Jet Center by 4.30. and watched TV in the Pilot's Lounge.  Clients returned at 9:45 so we prepared to depart.  ATC kept us unusually long before allowing us to taxi out. Waited some more before  they let us take the runway   We left Ontario approx. 10:30  flew direct in VFR conditions at 6500 ft.  Easy peasey, straight into Visalia, 11:00.  Considerable cross wind but Todd greased her in. After unloading the clientele, their possessions, and hand shakes all around, I was home, crawling into the sack at 11:40. Hardest part of the flights was me entering and exiting the NARROW cockpit. Let's face it, 75 year old back, legs, and feet do not move like they used to, nor do they always move as directed!!

While at Pegasus I bought a couple "new old stock" William's Brother's 3/4" engine cylinder kits. I thought both were 5 cylinder types but found one was actually a nine cylinder, with crank case! Also bought a big package of Sig Koveral,  pair of 1.5"streamline wheels, and some music wire. They had a huge selection of tissue and silkspan. But  resisted  further impulse buying. There were LOTS of (mostly scale) models hanging everywhere.  Vast selection of other hobby stuff but ... I'm thinking not many hobby shops of this intensity are left in the entire world. Staff quite friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful too.
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2024, 03:24:35 PM »

Fixing the various damages that the FH40 & Ro37 suffered at the weekend during "trimming".  Mostly OK, but the FH40's UC is, well, it still works so there's that I suppose. Smiley
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: April 20, 2024, 04:48:59 AM »

Had a very nice Wednesday evening with Charlie Newman at the monthly Oxford MFC meeting. We have resurrected the club RTP set up and Charlie put on a great display of some of his RTP models. Star of the show was a Focke-Wulf FW189 converted from rubber power. His Piper Cherokee and Dart Kitten were flying well too along with a sport model Charlie designed for ballon bursting ( no balloons this time though) . I had a small all sheet Hawker Tempest from the RTP Hut kit which flew well and was flown by several members
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2024, 08:36:23 AM »

FRIDAY APRIL 26 2024

OSPREY GLIDER FLIGHT SESSION #5       THUR APRIL 25 2024

In:  What did you do airplanewise today

I just finished resizing the pics of yesterday's Thur April 25 2023  Flight Report #5,   for the 20" Osprey Glider.    Here are 6 pics for preview.   Full Flight Report coming up.    24 Flights and 34 pics,  two tree hits (same Spruce),   and a wing detachment,   and perfect weather and long dewy grass,  and Spring in full  bloom.

Pic #1      2753    Long shadows of early morning

Pic #2      2758    Little wind on the flag by the replica Spitfire and Hurricane

Pic #3      2769   Cruising fast,  going downwind

Pic #4      2773   Flight # 15   8 sec  It was an unusually tight one and one half circle right,    and was bearing down on me,  I bravely stood my ground,  and panned the camera with a hard swing,  and wrote into the log note book   9" x 6"  ruled pages cardboard covers and snag free coil binding,  "hope I got the pic"  ...  I did !!   It turns out,  I had bumped the left stab tab downwards by accident,  hence the tight right hand turn.  

Pic #5      2775   Way out there

Pic #6      2790   Last pic -  wind on the flag on the walk out of the Park after 24 flights

Lastwoodsman
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: